Team Fortress 2

1% critted

TF2 is dead.

Demo nerf allows heavy-medic combos to crush everything. The only thing that stops them are other Heavy-Medics and wrangled sentries.

They even nerfed the Axtinguisher, who was barely useful outside of pubs.

Think it's time to definitely migrate to Dota. At least Valve isn't responsible for the balancing in that game.

Other than that, the heavy nerf was needed considering how overpowered the heavy was ever since the 119 update. The rest of the nerfs couldn't really care too much about considering I do better just using the GL for combat. The sticky nerf was need since the launch of TF2 anyway.

Honestly it didn't even affect the game drastically.

Other than that, the heavy nerf was needed considering how overpowered the heavy was ever since the 119 update. The rest of the nerfs couldn't really care too much about considering I do better just using the GL for combat. The sticky nerf was need since the launch of TF2 anyway.

Honestly it didn't even affect the game drastically.

I never had a problem with Sticky Spam (or what people that disliked it referred to as winbombing). Heavy Medic were always the thing that annoyed me the most and this patch just buffed them by removing the best way to deal with them in unorganized pub play. The Heavy nerf is pretty insignificant in comparison, since they can still shred people in close quarter.

Most of my game since the update missed a big offensive presence since the Demo no longer has any real presence offensively, the grenade launcher is to easily avoidable by the opponents and 30 damage stickies are just way too weak.

The Sentry nerfs lessen sentries sniping you from across the map with the wrangler, but doesn't lessen the biggest complaint of the Wrangler, the fact that it makes sentries nearly unkillable, a problem worsened by the demo nerf (no way stickies will be able to sit for 2 seconds on the ground).

And while I never used the Axtinguisher, it's nerf still baffles me since I never used it because it was an unreliable melee. The mere fact that Valve nerfed it means they don't give a hoot about people getting better at their game. Most decent players and pyros barely used the Axtinguisher since the Backscratcher, Powerjack and Homewrecker are all way more useful.

I never had a problem with Sticky Spam (or what people that disliked it referred to as winbombing). Heavy Medic were always the thing that annoyed me the most and this patch just buffed them by removing the best way to deal with them in unorganized pub play. The Heavy nerf is pretty insignificant in comparison, since they can still shred people in close quarter.

Most of my game since the update missed a big offensive presence since the Demo no longer has any real presence offensively, the grenade launcher is to easily avoidable by the opponents and 30 damage stickies are just way too weak.

The Sentry nerfs lessen sentries sniping you from across the map with the wrangler, but doesn't lessen the biggest complaint of the Wrangler, the fact that it makes sentries nearly unkillable, a problem worsened by the demo nerf (no way stickies will be able to sit for 2 seconds on the ground).

And while I never used the Axtinguisher, it's nerf still baffles me since I never used it because it was an unreliable melee. The mere fact that Valve nerfed it means they don't give a hoot about people getting better at their game. Most decent players and pyros barely used the Axtinguisher since the Backscratcher, Powerjack and Homewrecker are all way more useful.

You shouldn't even be in that range to begin with when encountering a heavy+medic. That's more of a player fault than a gameplay fault. He's meant to be strong close quarters anyway. His biggest weakness is still snipers.

The grenade launcher avoidance is dependant on how competent the demomen are. Most of the people I play with have played since TF2 beta in 2007 and I have more trouble dodging their grenade launcher than stickies. I've still been able to kill people with the new nerfed sticky launcher. You would be surprised at how many people still fall for sticky traps.

The wrangler engie is best dealt with using a grenade launcher and a sapper anyway considering the biggest issue for the engineer is really where he has to be placed in in order to aim their target. Lobbing grenades into his vicinity is the best way to deal with wranglers since he has to pretty much stay put if he wants to aim with it. People forget that the grenade launcher is a great artillery firing weapon.

Via HLDS:

• Reverted the recent stickybomb damage ramp up change. We will continue to evaluate the use of stickybomb air detonations and potential changes to that mechanic.
  • Fixed being able to taunt with enemies between spawn room doors
  • Fixed a problem with The Senguko Scorcher's materials
  • Updated the Towering Pillar of Summer Shades so they are marketable
  • Updated the attribute description for the Back Scatter to better explain what it does
  • Updated the localization files
Rumor has it:

Sorry for a double post but the new update reverted the sticky bomb damage nerf. So that's nice of them.

Edited by eclipse
That's not a good reason to double post.

Posted · Hidden by eclipse, June 24, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by eclipse, June 24, 2014 - No reason given

Via HLDS:

• Reverted the recent stickybomb damage ramp up change. We will continue to evaluate the use of stickybomb air detonations and potential changes to that mechanic.
  • Fixed being able to taunt with enemies between spawn room doors
  • Fixed a problem with The Senguko Scorcher's materials
  • Updated the Towering Pillar of Summer Shades so they are marketable
  • Updated the attribute description for the Back Scatter to better explain what it does
  • Updated the localization files

Rumor has it:

Sorry for a double post but the new update reverted the sticky bomb damage nerf. So that's nice of them.

• 11 months later...

Reviving this thread. Quite a few weapons have been added in since the last post, namely the Panic Attack (shotgun for Soldier, Pyro, Heavy and Engineer), Iron Bomber (Demoman primary) and Quickiebomb launcher (Demoman secondary).

I've played at least a fair bit of most classes -- the main classes I rarely play are Soldier, Heavy and Sniper. I don't play at a competitive/professional level, but I do sometimes watch some competitive gameplay vids.

For classes I do play a lot of, here are my favorite weapon loadouts:

Pyro (pretty much my main class):

Degreaser (fast weapon switch)

Shotgun (preferred over Reserve Shooter for larger clip size, easier to kill enemy pyros at range)

Maul (Homewrecker reskin) (rarely use melee weapons so main use for Maul is to OHKO enemy spies' sappers)

Engineer (class I spent playing the second longest):

Rescue Ranger (shots heal friendly buildings that are damaged; can use 130 metal to teleport my building over provided that I have a line of sight)

Wrangler (shield and for killing enemy players striking at my sentry from out of range)

Jag (constructs buildings faster if striking a friendly building)

Medic (competent Medics can break the game in public servers if given the chance and if teammates can work with them):

Blutsauger (shots heal, especially effective on W+M1 scouts and pyros; can also kill snipers and spies at short to medium range)

Medigun (Invincibility because fuck enemy sentry nests or start a party by Uberflashing as many teammates as possible in a push)

Amputator (only pull this out if fleeing; counteracts the Blutsauger's health regen. drop)

Demoman (break sentry nests or defensive/offensive play; explosives spam):

Grenade Launcher (best one IMO, useful for spam and can be used to spawncamp somewhat)

Quickiebomb Launcher (This weapon is practically designed for stickyspamming though I will use the default Stickybomb Launcher to hold an area down)

Ullapool Caber (Why not? I had blown up a Medic once with it)

Spy (will only play if other friendly spies can't sneak into enemy sentry nest and if the sentry nest is particularly hard to break):

Revolver (bad at landing headshots using the Ambassador, and the reduced firing speed of the Enforcer doesn't sound too appealing; I only play as Spy to sap buildings, not kill)

Red Tape Recorder (more effective than default sapper IMO for a sentry nest that consists of multiple sentries)

Spycicle (gives me a bit more time if a spychecking Pyro is nearby)

Cloak and Dagger (I like the recharge ability and the fact that I can remain invisible indefinitely if nobody bumps into me or hits me while I stand in one place)

Scout (recent favorite; annoy enemy players):

Baby Face's Blaster (Sanic speed! 2fast4u1 Once I do enough damage, I can outspeed any player that isn't a Scout running Baby Face's Blaster or a Demoman that is charging using a shield)

Pretty Boy's Pocket Pistol (cannot take any fall damage, which is great since I shouldn't be doing any midair jumps unless I have to, though i have to be careful around enemy Pyros)

Sandman (projectile can stun if it connects with an enemy player, though I mainly use it to quickly KO low-health classes (slower Scouts, Snipers, Spies, lone Engineers and Medics), Baby Face's Blaster's speed boost helps with this)

I should really play some tf2, it's been way too long. (though I'll probably feel bad at how horrible I am compared to how I remember being)

As a pyro main, I would recommend you try to experiment with the flare gun and especially the detonator. The Flare Gun can be used as a quick way to get burst damage and as a ranged harass tool (I even sometime managed to get kills on fleeing enemies). The Detonator doesn't have the burst of the Flare Gun, but the ability to burst your flares at will create some interesting possibilities, mainly the ability to do a mini-rocket jump. Some of my favorite sets combined the Detonator and the Powerjack to get as much mobility as I could. The Backburner is especially nice to use with these since the added mobility allows you to get to place where you can ambush enemies and mitigates your lack of burst damage.

As for your scout set, I'd recommend trying out the mad milk with the BFB. I usually didn't miss having a pistol when using the BFB and the healing brought by the Mad Milk allowed me to stay in fights (and annoy enemies) longer.

I've played with the Flare Gun a little bit -- I'm terrible at landing my shots with it and I may lag during a game even on low ping servers (Server's listed ping at around ~20; may jump from ~20 to 100-200+ in an instant at times during play). I find the Detonator rather situational most of the time even though I can perform Detonator jumps so I just run Shotgun whenever I play Pyro.

I might consider using the Mad Milk though I'm not too fond of switching weapons outside of pressing the Q key (I don't use fast weapon switch as I may switch to the wrong weapon and number keys are too hard to reach during play).

• 1 month later...

Recently, the Gun Mettle update introduced a LOT of gameplay changes to many of the weapons in the game!

Examples:

-base Construction rate via melee hit among engineers increased

-Gunslinger mini-sentry starts at 50 health upon initial deployment that increases to 100 health during construction; mini sentry can be repaired

-several of Heavy's primaries offer damage resistance when spun up

-Powerjack's health gain upon kill reduced to +25 instead of +75

-Engineer's movement penalty from carrying a building is reduced to -10%

-Baby Face's Blaster loses more boost from performing a midair jump and also loses boost if user takes damage

-Solemn Vow now has an attack speed penalty

-If a Spy is cloaked, he gets 20% damage resistance

-Air Strike's clip size penalty is removed

-Quickiebomb Launcher's damage can be increased depending on how long the user charges up a shot

-Cloak/Ubercharge drain from Pomson 6000 shots depends on distance -- the longer the distance is, the lower the drain is; very far away hits cannot drain at all

-Jag has the construction speed boost upon melee hit fixed and also has increased attack speed; comes with lower repair rate and keeps the damage penalty

-Wrangler's shield now also reduces repair rate from both wrench hits and Rescue Ranger shots.

-Every player reloads their weapons by default

-Spy's reloading animation (for his revolvers) no longer covers much of the screen

-Loch 'n Load's damage bonus only applies to enemy buildings

Edited by Roflolxp54