FE8 Mountless LTC Challenge

Espinosa

Will you be promoting the Lords, or will they be forever dismounted? I don't think it makes much of an impact on LTC but promoted Eirika/Ephraim are pretty helpful in Chapter 18.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE8 isn't particularly punishing in No Mounted playthroughs due to the (refreshing) lack of dick moves that the series so loves. I even did a draft of it once, and got a (I would like to think) respectable turncount.

Units- Eirika, Ephraim, Garcia, Tethys, Orson, Myrrh (freebies) Gerik, Saleh, Lute, Gilliam, Knoll, Rennac (drafties)

Depends on what you mean as "punishing" - is having to take extra turns punishing enough? The lack of Canto bugs me a lot but when the whole party teams up for a rescuedrop chain it's kinda fun. I guess you can also say there are no foot units who match Seth or Franz in combat - the closest one is probably Gerik, then Saleh, but these two aren't around for a while.

In chapter 7, the existence of Colm and Ross actually means I don't lose any turns to a run with Seth (a 3-turn implies Vanessa/Eirika being capable to take Murray down on turns 2/3, which Seth's existence makes difficult without Oranjeeh aboos), so some of the turn counts aren't THAT bad.

And yeah, I probably was inspired by the sadist draft concept, except I really like playing the game with a bigger number of units available (more options more decisions).

Well, it's more like there are less surprise reinforcements at set turns (which would be harder with all foots because reaching objectives takes longer), less inane recruitments (FE5 capturing with all foots would be the worst thing ever), etc.

Downsides of going with Ephraim playing experience-wise:

- no Innes for 5 chapters

- Ocean Seal too far away in chapter 9 resulting in Ross not promoting until chapter 15

- Cormag and Duessel's existence does not matter

- Saleh and Gerik absent in 3 more maps

More downsides related to lowturning:

- Tethys joins late which hinders the staff rank growth

- Eph is too heavy to be carried around by Colm and promoted Artur

- All maps are longer due to no mounts

- Phantom Ship could take forever if the Mogalls in the corners of the map do not move (and to my knowledge they don't, at least for a while)

I guess the main reason to go with Ephraim is the difficulty of some of his maps which makes it interesting, plus... this:

28qrybp.png

(what Ephraim looks like after 7x - you'll see how this happened in the next video - too bad he only makes use of these stats in two maps)

I'd probably consider going with Ephraim if I had a good idea what the Mogall AI in the Phantom Ship is like, and also if his maps were better suited for an infantry army.

Ouch. I didn't realize Ephraim's route was really that bad for infantry LTC. >_>

Anybody know where/when you can get a Hammer on Eirika's route? The on-site resources don't help at all, and my own memory suggests the only anti-armour weapon you get is the Heavy Spear (which I recall appearing in chapter 9 on both routes... but I'm not putting that much trust into Gilliam at all).

When would you ever need a Hammer?

Aside from Tirado, Aias is the only enemy on all of Eirika's route that I can think of where you might want a Hammer. And Aias is killed really easily in any 2-turn clear. The few enemy knights you encounter are 1RKOed pretty easily too.

Right, chapter 9. Never bought that one because Duessel is always the only "longterm" (Eph!, in actuality he stays in the party for about as long as Garcia, except in tougher, more interesting maps) axe user on my runs, if any is used at all. Gerik, Ross, Garcia and Artur should be 2HKOing armours with ease, so Aias is the only time where the Hammer is appreciated to enable a ORKO without having to take it to the enemy phase (though Halberd should work equally well).

Right, chapter 9. Never bought that one because Duessel is always the only "longterm" (Eph!, in actuality he stays in the party for about as long as Garcia, except in tougher, more interesting maps) axe user on my runs, if any is used at all. Gerik, Ross, Garcia and Artur should be 2HKOing armours with ease, so Aias is the only time where the Hammer is appreciated to enable a ORKO without having to take it to the enemy phase (though Halberd should work equally well).

Oy vey... For the record, Aias starts with the spear equipped right?

Wait, whom am I kidding, Gerik is constantly used as well for me, except I don't really recall him needing hammers much.

Aias does indeed start with a Short Spear, so Hammer has 33 effective might. Against 48 HP/20 def/10 AS, Ross needs to have 11 strength (I'm not even fucking kidding) and 16 speed (more serious but I'm sure we'll get there by then since I'll be recruiting/mugging Amelia most likely).

Anyway, Hammer has the Mt and weight as Halberd except Halberd has +5 hit... And that's how the pointless quest for the Hammer ended (I imagine I'd need one for Vigarde though - do you drafter folks ever manage to KO him without losing turns? Though I hear Eph! is an unpopular route to take for obvious reasons).

Eph Chapter 14 is basically only Vanessa/Cormag team territory. You don't want to go there otherwise. Also, Vigarde is a chump. What really needs rigging there in drafts is the sleep staves.

Eph Chapter 14 is basically only Vanessa/Cormag team territory. You don't want to go there otherwise. Also, Vigarde is a chump. What really needs rigging there in drafts is the sleep staves.

And the berserk staves. Fuck those.

Vigarde is seriously tanky and actually has existant attack and crit, I have no idea what PKL is talking about., 54 HP/24DEF/18RES is unmatched but all but Lyon in final, since the Demon king is a chump with weaknesses.

The few times i've done Eph route for drafts i've rigged some very low% hit heavy spears with Cormag or just dropped Ephraim in front of Vigarde with Reginlief.

Also why not just kill Aias with Gerik he reaches the required speed way easier than Ross

Edited by General Horace

I think I'd rather feed Aias's bosskill exp to Ross since he appears to be the superior longterm investment ouf of the two (though I imagine Gerik would appreciate better combat in the desert, but it's not like he'll be ORKOing the Nomads unless he hits them with a Halberd on player phase).

Chapter 6 in 3 turns

Chapter 7 in 4 turns

No turns lost to an average full party run surprisingly; the strats are pretty tight and nice.

Added another poll to discuss the immediate midgame decisions and options; curious to hear what everyone thinks. The Dracoshield village is difficult to reach, and if it's destroyed I can't get the Angelic Robe either. Besides having Ross carry a helper down south, I'm also considering sending Colm alone in the same direction because there will be no time to save the Rapier village. Alternatively, Colm could help intercepting the northern brigand by, say, dropping Eirika closer to him (haven't done the square-counting yet).