Topaz Light

117 members have voted

1. 1. I consider the Avatar to be...

• ...myself // a self insert.
    • ...my own character // my OC.
    • ...just another character.
    • ...just a very powerful unit.
    • ...just another unit.

Considering the amount of waifu-ism/hasubando-ism out there for this game, probably is a bit of an understatement.

Bad fanfic Self-insert OCs tend to have a lot of attachment associated with them.

The difference is, mine is acceptable because it only happens when I'm asleep.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the amount of waifu-ism/hasubando-ism out there for this game, probably is a bit of an understatement.

... Point taken. ._.

Either way, to answer the OP, Silvia and Silver are both officially integrated into Vashi's OC/FC Database.

Bad fanfic Self-insert OCs tend to have a lot of attachment associated with them.

The difference is, mine is acceptable because it only happens when I'm asleep.

[/nods] I can attest, I've seen this in action. And boy have I seen it.

... I'd comment to this, but that would be VERY hypocritical of me.

Edited by Vashiane

Honestly, I think IS intended to make the Avatar rather Mary-Sueish and not seem to have any flaws. I think they wanted us to imagine the flaws for ourselves so we can make them into our own character. I don't see much of a personality in him/her either, even though he/she does say a lot of things that I would have. Avatar seems generic, just as he/she should be. And this way, we can also use him/her to kind of place ourselves in the game as Silver Lightning did with one of her Avatars.

Me, I did a mix of both. I just like creating original characters more than making a self-insert, but at the same time, I wanted to feel like I was actually a part of Chrom's group too. So that's where the mix came in.

In my first playthrough, all the Avatar and I share is the name, but other than that, he's just another character, and a rather bland one at that.

Now I'm on my fifth playthrough and the second one as a female Avatar. Super Saiyan hair FTW!

I'm not attached to the avatar as s/he is portrayed in the actual game.

I'm attached to my headcanon avatar who has apparently gained enough of a distinct personality to be his own actual character ._.

But anyway, the actual avatar "as is" with no headcanon attached is just a very powerful unit who is fun to customize, but giving them characterization outside (or contrary to) what the game establishes makes them more OC-ish. If I make any sense at all.

My Unit, Maeve, is a perverted old woman (26) who likes to flirt with teenage boys. 8U Despite this, she does fall in love with her precious Licht-kun. Maeve is a genius at tactics, of course. If I were in charge of the story, I'd change everyone's reactions to Flames On The Blue. I think there is a HUGE difference to burning people alive than killing them in fair combat. They could have at least acted somber, with Maeve making a grim face and saying quietly "there is no other way." There wouldn't be, well, cheering. Anyways, yeah, I see Maeve as an OC that's a powerful character.

I'm not attached to the avatar as s/he is portrayed in the actual game.

I'm attached to my headcanon avatar who has apparently gained enough of a distinct personality to be his own actual character ._.

But anyway, the actual avatar "as is" with no headcanon attached is just a very powerful unit who is fun to customize, but giving them characterization outside (or contrary to) what the game establishes makes them more OC-ish. If I make any sense at all.

Sounds like what I did, so it makes perfect sense to me.

Wow...Why didn't they put that in the English version?

Because effort.

English only had two scripts:

One for Male, and One for Female.

Japanese one had scripts for each two matching voice pronouns for each gender:

2 Bokus and 2 Ores for Male

2 Watashis and 2 Atashis for Female

And a final script that had the characters talking for you whenever you responded with ".....", "....!", "....?", etc. for the Silent Protagonist.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Why do you think Awakening sold so well?

This is also why Fifty Shades of Grey is a bestseller.

Stuff sucks sometimes.

Hey Rey, what does Silent Avatar say or do during their crit cut-in? Is it just like a "heeayyyyahh!" like Link?

Edited by Ser Florina

Since I can never make my avatar look like me (30 hairstyles but no black man option...) I have to make him my own character. According to my headcanon, in personality, each avatar I make begins differently, but by the end of the game they always end up following exactly what I think.

I can never make my avatar look like me (30 hairstyles but no black man option...)

Ikr? Let's share the pain...

Edited by Sorin

I have to stress that my avatars be OCs, because I enjoy acting out their scenes and support conversations. A game's story is very important to me, and in an RPG/JRPG I think the character you have control over should be a good fit for the story's characters. I can spend literally hours planning and creating a character for this very reason (and I'm also very indecisive!).

My first avatar had my name, and I designed him to look as close to me as I could. He had my birthday, and because I'm boring, I used the default Asset/Flaw.

Every avatar after became a sort of representation of an OC of mine. I say it that way because although the character of the avatar is pretty much set in stone by the story, I felt like I had enough leeway with the looks, asset/flaw, and skill choice to get the main points of my OC's across, but not enough to call them an OC. If I could have made choices in the story that actually had an impact and showed a difference in personality (besides just the last decision), then I might consider them OC's.