Topaz Light

117 members have voted

1. 1. I consider the Avatar to be...

• ...myself // a self insert.
    • ...my own character // my OC.
    • ...just another character.
    • ...just a very powerful unit.
    • ...just another unit.

Okay, so I am really kinda interested in what the census on this is. I personally consider my avatar to be my own character rather than myself, but I've heard that other people have all sorts of different opinions on it.

Do note that this topic is not about how good of an idea the Avatar was on IS's part; it's just about how you personally regard the Avatar in the context of Fire Emblem Awakening and its cast.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My avatar is not me. Otherwise, I'd be a dude. But my avatar is pretty much an OC, so I imagine his personality to be different than what is established in the game.

I voted OC since my main two Avatars are this to me, but I also did a playthrough where I designed and named the Avatar after myself as more or less a self insert to lead my Avatar Army. But I mostly only view them as my OCs.

I mostly think of Kelli as an OC, but she's also partly a self-insert. I tend to put a bit of myself in my most important characters anyway. Kelli has more of me than the others (including my Zelda OC of the same name lol), but still. I actually find that by default, the female Avatar says and does a lot of things that I would've as well. So I chose to add a bit to her using my imagination, like the fact that she hates most bugs, really likes meat (though I actually don't.. lol), and develops a major crush on Frederick and asks him to train her in order to get his attention. :3

Even though they didnt have given the avatar the deepest characterization I can definitly identifie myself with him.

I'm quiet and observing myself, as well as openminded and empathic towards others.

And right before explaining the tactic with the burning ships I even thought about this myself. :D

An OC who I usually ship with Say'ri unless I'm making up a different character but my usual "Raynor" is paired up with her at all times :P

You spelled Sakura and Ichiro wrong! :P

Anyway I use avatar for fun and I view it as a character in a game.

OC, though somewhat loosely because of the lack of choices in the game. It's really more another character that you can change the name and appearance of than anything else.

I love having customizable characters and in that regard, there's nothing specifically wrong with the Avatar, but I'll never be able to see a character as a direct self-insert unless the game is made such that you can make various choices that actually effect the outcome of the game and story. I think Saints Row 3 is the only game I've played that goes in such a direction.

Robin is just another unit to me. I feel no connection to it whatsoever. For something that's supposed to be the player, they leave little room for customization, especially in regards to personality. I prefer silent protagonists like in mainstream Pokemon games.

I mostly think of the avatar as my OC, though sometimes I see her as my self-insert. I mostly view all of the avatars I've made as my OCs unless they were directly made as a self-insert of me, which is going to happen on two future playthroughs. (One female and one male, both using a variation of my real name.)

I often find myself referring to my avatar as myself when playing, I even catch myself doing this with my female avatar on my Lunatic file. I guess it's just because they're kinda the main character of the game and in other games with a notable main character I'll refer to them as myself.