Will there ever be a Fe7if in english?

lolful64

I've known about Fe7if for a while now and have "tried" to play it (I punched a hole in my wall because of my rage, got a number for any good wall plasterers?) and its safe to say its tough and draws out every ounce of rage. I know there is a patch for fire emblem 6 that translates all of it into PERFECT english. So is there a Fe7if english patch in the works yet? The fans of FE have done patches for almost every single fire emblem game so why not this great hack?

Because translation patches take a lot of work? Importing fonts and such and configuring the table? Well technically you could get it from FE7... but the fact that they have their own ASM hacks that it could mess with presents a big problem.

NOT to mention the extra dialogue that needs translating.

*AND* the fact that a few of the people who translate/hack/sprite don't particularly like that ROM hack. AT ALL.

1. FE7if sucks. Majorly.

2. It's a reskin, so the plot more than likely is some shitty mashup plot anyway.

3. The difficulty is only due to increased enemy count and higher HP thresholds. The game itself is artificial difficulty incarnate.

4. Nobody likes FE7if, not even me and I LPed over 20 chapters of it. The only people who like it are noobs on the hacking scene who think the "custom" animations in it are big shit. I can't respect a game that steals sprites from other hardworking hackmakers with no thought to crediting them or asking for permission. Especially when some of those sprites are from a far superior hack, FeoC.

so why not this great hack?

Vomit.gif

Edited by Klokinator

I never played it but it seems like despite mapmaking tools for FEs being made, all the japanese hacks for every game tend to consist of just reskins and fake difficulty (I have yet to see one with custom maps)

well I guess one positive thing is that there are more of them? (I guess)

If it was a really outstanding hack then maybe... the potential is there. I haven't played it and haven't really heard of it and from what I have heard of it, it doesn't sound that great.

Besides, as people mentioned, translating games isn't easy. Heck, translating plain text isn't easy--imagine having to translate a whole game by reverse-engineering it.

Needless to say, it's not very fun; hopes and friendships have been crushed over some translations.

I never played it but it seems like despite mapmaking tools for FEs being made, all the japanese hacks for every game tend to consist of just reskins and fake difficulty (I have yet to see one with custom maps)

well I guess one positive thing is that there are more of them? (I guess)

Genealogy of Narga/Heim has custom maps (FE4), as does FE Girls (FE8), which also happens to have an English translation available. I dunno if the latter were ever finished, though :/ Biraku's somethingsomething for FE3 also features redesigned maps, as does Super Thracia (FE5). The Berwick/TearRing Saga hack (FE4) also has custom events and maps, too.

I believe FE7if takes after the Inflation hack for FE4, and several other games. Like playing a Kaizo Mario, you should judge the hack based on what it set out to be--otherwise you're setting yourself up for distaste :/

As to address the topic, there will be a translation usually under one of these three conditions:

1) The original team, like FE Girls, figures a way to easily import the English script into their hack. This is usually an untested method (extensively, at least), and much like ShadowofChaos's hackish port of FE9's English text into its Japanese counterpart, can contain some deadlocking and other issues where text is handled in an unexpected manner.

2) Someone with the interest in the content, and the knowledge of programming, comes along and works with the content. This is how most translation projects take off throughout the scene. The most recent prime example I can think of is Aaron Chmielowiec's translation of Game Center CX 2 on the Nintendo DS, a sequel to the localized title Retro Game Challenge. This project is largely his own doing, and only towards the end has he collaborated with earlier attempts at translating the game (who actually offered their work to him, to help him along), along with requesting a little aid in translating the larger text-adventure game and the RPG game.

3) Similar to point 1, someone comes along and tries to brute-force the English script into the hack, and it works out. A good example of this is the FFXII International Zodiac Edition translation, which is purely a migration between the localized version and its Japanese enhancement. I think one of the Kingdom Hearts games also had this happen. You don't necessarily need a technical know-how to do this, but just a basic familiarity with the system you're working with, and how games tend to load their assets. This has become much easier in the recent past, as games used to store their content however worked best and in unconventional means--whereas nowadays, many games are organized in a conventional file-folder archive, where each individual file is often self-contained, and capable of being swapped out.

There is a wikiguide available for the hack, if you want to understand some of the unique items or some other stuff about the hack. Google translate usually does an alright job with stuff like this--there isn't too much to mangle.

http://w.livedoor.jp/fe7if/

Edited by Celice

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...