FEXNA (Currently In Private Beta)

BwdYeti

Since apparently it's not a secret anymore

Basically "FEXP: the version that Yeti will actually be completing and supporting". FEXNA uses Microsoft XNA, somewhat obviously, and MonoGame for OSX/Linux/Android??? versions. I'm developing a series of editors that will cover almost everything you could want to change; and if you're looking for something more in-depth, the source code will be included as well. Currently in private beta (no we're not looking for testers) while I work on 7x

Spoiler

xLBkmxL.png

C0dmlij.png

YIqYN4l.png

R9uKZwt.png

ZB3hPF6.png

QXF8b09.png

REdWJBo.png

mRQciiv.png

ScitTTz.png

Basically just a thread to let you know it's eventually happening and to fish for ideas. What you don't like about hacking that you think FEXNA should improve on, what you like about hacking that I should definitely keep, where FEXP made mistakes (other than not being supported after release), etc etc

Edited by BwdYeti
Dead image links

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think FEXNA is an interesting project, so I'm pretty hyped to see it going were it is now. I don't know what you intend to put into the engine, but I think it would be neat if features like bonus exp, weapon forging, fixed growths and explorable over world map as standalone modules that can separately be toggled on/off.

^Weapon forging and world map sound good.

Also, a way of implementing an MU unit would be cool.

Question: Will this be sold (and if so for how much) or for free?

I'm also slightly interested in that code...

Edited by Kurix

Now that you mention it, is it fairly easy to move graphics around? e.g. if I wanted to move the text box so that it displayed beneath units instead of above/rearrange the status screen/things like that? What about the resolution that the game runs at? Possible support for voice acting?

Forged weapons would be nice, especially if we could get enemies to use some. (For example, harder difficulty modes would upgrade enemy weapons by a tier, with Silver or special weapons becoming forged versions of themselves)

What's enemy AI like? What features and customization does it have compared to GBA (and DS if you have experience there). Would it be possible to have enemies that attempt to stay out of reach, or that charge in groups when you step in range of multiple enemies in the group?

One thing I dislike about events is that even in Fe8 there's no simple way to have a variable counter that you can add, subtract from and read. Some conditionals like 'when X > 4, do this' would be great.

Awesome project either way, especially if it manages the flexibility and documentation that hacking tends to lack.

Edited by Vennobennu

How will adding some of the less number-changing additions to the game be implimented, such as skills, or even, say, adding elevation as a gameplay factor. I suppose that will require some programming, rather than just modules (though I guess skills that just do more damage could have a module).

Basically, will implementing more complex additions require a good understanding of source code (not that that's something I'm opposed to) or is there some intermediate interface?

And to fanboy the appropriate amount, I really like what you can do with this interface, as already exemplified by FE7x's releases. It's exciting stuff.

Edited by deranger

How easy or difficult will to be to insert battle/spell animations like those found in the the feditor archive?

Also what's the lag like? Last I tried FEXP there was serious lag :/:

The game runs perfectly fine provided you're not using a relic. You could always download the demo and try it yourself.

Question: Will this be sold (and if so for how much) or for free?

Free

no map tile editor?

Tilesets, maps, or terrain data? Tilesets and maps are kind of early in progress but working

5vKTV.png

5vKW2.png

but I haven't worked on a terrain data editor yet since adding new ones is so incredibly rare

Now that you mention it, is it fairly easy to move graphics around? e.g. if I wanted to move the text box so that it displayed beneath units instead of above/rearrange the status screen/things like that? What about the resolution that the game runs at? Possible support for voice acting?

Basically just changing numbers in the code, not exactly easy but it's pretty straightforward

320x192 by default (20x12 tiles); this is easy to change, but do take into account you'd have to adjust almost every scene to support a different resolution

sure, it's just audio, right? you'd just need to make it so advancing to the next text window canceled the current voice clip, and probably force max text speed

Forged weapons would be nice, especially if we could get enemies to use some. (For example, harder difficulty modes would upgrade enemy weapons by a tier, with Silver or special weapons becoming forged versions of themselves)

What's enemy AI like? What features and customization does it have compared to GBA (and DS if you have experience there). Would it be possible to have enemies that attempt to stay out of reach, or that charge in groups when you step in range of multiple enemies in the group?

One thing I dislike about events is that even in Fe8 there's no simple way to have a variable counter that you can add, subtract from and read. Some conditionals like 'when X > 4, do this' would be great.

I've set up weapons so they can be extended to include forging, though it's not something I've done yet

Fairly intelligent but very involved to edit the specifics, and you can easily change AI missions with events

yes this is a thing

Basically, will implementing more complex additions require a good understanding of source code

Yes, basically. Skills are actually presently done almost entirely in code to get them working with precision

How similar is eventing to FE eventing, or is it closer to actual programming?

(please let it be the latter I'm not bothering with FE eventing because the code is too ugly :c)

It's basically GBA FE events with an RMXP event interface. Personally I prefer it to either of the other two

nice work all around, does remind me of those RPGMaker editors, in a good way!

here's my own questions and comments; one thing that I love is having tons and tons of options for the little things

will there be some sort of area or more checkboxes to some specially-programmed stuff a user might make such as item traits, much like how I see the skills there? special interactions like narga + loptous in FE4 comes to mind, along with tellius goddess protection and breaking, and much more

another thing about items, would they be able to cast magic?

for item personalization, I noticed there's only one selection available shown, unless you can add extra characters or classes with comma or something for items? I'm guessing that's why it's in an edit box and not drop box

promotions or possible branching later on might be easier and more personable if they were in the character data and done individually as well, instead of needing to make a whole new class if someone's the same class as another character but promotes into something different; though I suppose involving tiered class lines would be easier to deal with if it were part of class data

are weapon levels done by experience or FE1/3 weapon level stat? not all that clear since the games have had starting weapon ranks based on current weapon EXP

and speaking of weapon types, will it be possible to add more?

is the inventory size is fixed to 6?

dunno if you've dealt with it yet, but I'm assuming it will support decent sound file types (oh those days of being restricted to limited midi and huge-size wav...)

are battle animations restricted to using the GBAFE format or will there be ways to make it more like the free movement of the other games?

these are all mainly questions by how it looks right now of course, I don't know what you have and haven't planned at the moment~

okay I have one more question

back like last year or maybe 2 years ago I remember this was priced a lot higher than free, why the change? or did enough people pay you already that I never ended up having to

I was actually about to ask the same thing. I remember agreeing to "pitch in" for it.

will there be some sort of area or more checkboxes to some specially-programmed stuff a user might make such as item traits, much like how I see the skills there? special interactions like narga + loptous in FE4 comes to mind, along with tellius goddess protection and breaking, and much more

another thing about items, would they be able to cast magic?

for item personalization, I noticed there's only one selection available shown, unless you can add extra characters or classes with comma or something for items? I'm guessing that's why it's in an edit box and not drop box

are weapon levels done by experience or FE1/3 weapon level stat? not all that clear since the games have had starting weapon ranks based on current weapon EXP

and speaking of weapon types, will it be possible to add more?

is the inventory size is fixed to 6?

dunno if you've dealt with it yet, but I'm assuming it will support decent sound file types (oh those days of being restricted to limited midi and huge-size wav...)

are battle animations restricted to using the GBAFE format or will there be ways to make it more like the free movement of the other games?

Probably not, this is in the realm of 'extending the code yourself'

not something I had considered but \o_O/

Modern WExp. I can't say I imagine anyone who would want to go back to the FE1/3 system but they could edit the code to do it

Yes eventually probably, it's pretty hardcoded right now though

No, I just like 6

It's on the todo list, everything is compressed wav now for music looping reasons

For the moment

Will there be some kind of tool where you can insert .FMPs/.MARs or will you have to redraw maps in fexna?

Not something I'd considered doing but it wouldn't be difficult

and even if I didn't the map editor will be able to take an image of a map and the tileset used and automatically figure out the tiles, so that's an alternative at least

How easy or difficult will to be to insert battle/spell animations like those found in the the feditor archive?

Also is there a way to have multiple save files like in the actual game or is it set?

Yay... progress on FEXNA! I'm definitely gonna dub my game since I am a good voice actor ( or seiyuu ) cause I'm always saying the lines of the movies I watch up to the point I started imitating their voice.

Will FEXNA have save states?

It has hyperspeed and savestate support as of right now. I actually used hyperspeed quite a few times in my marathon video. Savestates were used by Miacis in his text LP.

Edit: PS, hyperspeed is faster in fexna than an emulator. It also gets faster depending on your computer's capabilities, so better computers can take more advantage of it.

Edited by IM FAE OMG!!