FEXNA (Currently In Private Beta)

BwdYeti

3 hours ago, Ryuke said:

New to this.

I dont want to ask for a release date because I know it wont be in a long while.

Have FEXNA replicate FE7/8? What I mean is... Is this one of your testing method?

I don't know about 7 or 8, but Chocolate Kitty has had a lot of success with fe6xna, which is Binding Blade in XNA.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(FEXNA comes second to the game it's for, FE7x, which as you may be able to guess by the name, has many of its systems, right down to the timing on UI elements, made to replicate FE7)

FE8 has a lot of special features that are pretty FE8-specific. Skirmish/Valni/Lagdou maps would take a lot of work to emulate, but most of the rest would be at least semi-reasonable, since FE8 is mechanically pretty similar to FE7, so...

• 1 month later...

Hey, there! 

New on the forum (been following this particular topic for a while, though). Like most of the readers, I have questions about FEXNA. Most FE titles have a unique unit that can give allies an extra turn (dancers, bards, etc.) For my FE project, I was planning on having two (or maybe three) units at the same time with that ability. Now on to the question: 

Is it possible to program it so you can only bring ONE of those units into battle (ex. Picking the dancer unit would lock out the bard from selection or vice-versa)? And if it is possible, how hard would it be to program it? 

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

I have a a question regarding teams:

How hard would it be to add different teams? Y'know, asides from Player, Enemy, and Other? (I'm assuming those 3 at least will be in base FEXNA, it'd be weird if they weren't.) Would it be as simple as copy-n-pasting one of the pre-existing teams and then altering some the code (AI, sprites, palettes and whatnot) or would it be a lot more complicated than I'm thinking it'd be?

Also, by default, are we able to change units from player-controlled unit to an enemy-controlled unit? Or player to other, enemy to other etc, etc or would I have to do some scripting to add that? And would I be able to trigger this event automatically on a certain turn after a cutscene (like when the enemies talk to each other mid-battle, that sort of thing)?

21 hours ago, AmbiguouslyAnonymous said:

How hard would it be to add different teams?

In FE7x Ch7 there are four teams. The fourth can fight anyone else. I assume the coding isn't too bad to add more teams like that. Not sure how the AI works in terms of determining who's friendly and prioritizing who to attack based on team.

Team setup is quite easy. There are, like, two config things (one to say the team order, another to say who's allied with whom) and palettes you need to handle, I think.

You can change any unit from any team to any other team at any time (well, maybe not during the prep screen unless you do something crazy)

After playing FE7x, I can't wait to hear more about this engine. I wonder how easy would it be to add trial maps similar to FE7x where its entirely separated from the ongoing chapter by chapter gameplay. By that I mean having predetermined units that may even be already in the campaign, but with different stats and items that don't carry over. I really liked that, cause they were by far the most replayable chapters.

Hurry up, please. I'm sorry if I came of rude, but FEXP is too complicated for my tastes and FEeditor breaks when you breathe on it. It's very annoying, and I want to make so many projects. Maybe I can use it for Ragefest if it gets released.

3 hours ago, HeroOfTem said:

Hurry up, please. I'm sorry if I came of rude, but FEXP is too complicated for my tastes and FEeditor breaks when you breathe on it. It's very annoying, and I want to make so many projects. Maybe I can use it for Ragefest if it gets released.

And then the team magically throws out FEXNA and FE7x, and you're still clueless because things aren't finished and there are no tutorials or doc for you to read, and basically you're stuck at the same point again.

Being able to adapt tools for your use is a good skill to develop, especially since not all tools (in fact, not any) are designed with every user's individual mindset (in this case, yours) in mind.

Edited by Crazycolorz5

3 hours ago, HeroOfTem said:

Fun fact, a craftsman is not only as good as his tools, people have completed projects using FE editor, hell, people have made projects without it. If you're truly able to do something amazing, you do not need FEXNA to do the job, FE8 and its build files are capable of doing almost as much now, it's just the matter of actually doing something with them.

Even if we assume the inverse of all these posts--

Zane Avernathy's (New assumption being: that doc exists and the product is actually complete);

Crazycolorz5's (that the tool perfectly aligns to how you think it should function / you can arrange yourself to the tool as necessary very easily)

MCProductions's (that your project's vision factually exceeds the capabilities of FE8 and that you're good at self-education and dabbling)

I would be inclined to say that people still wouldn't get things done. At least, so my cyncism from having multiple dying husks of projects tells me.

Struggling to get started has, for me and some friends, done nothing but help realize mistakes in our vision. That the very things we believed were necessary were our real stopping blocks.

I said personally for a very long time that I couldn't code but that I could write, but now I realize that I'm the hackiest hack of a writer and I can program.

Generally, though, I find a slogan of my grandfather somewhat appropriate; "make everything as simple as it needs to be and no simpler".

Don't decide you can't do it on the GBA engine until you try. See what limits that engine has, and which ones that you actually hit with your idea.

Then think about how necessary any of that is.

Do you need more than 255 items? ...Probably not.

Do you need more than 127 classes? It's possible, if all classes need two genders and you have a healthy number of cutscene-only classes.

Do you need more than 255 classes? ...Probably not.

Do you need stats to go past 63? ...If you do, why are you making an FE game?

Consider, also, implementations. You can circumvent charge up skills by having multiple skill IDs dedicated to one skill, then have only one of those actually allow you to activate it; then having combat or phase change adjust which of those skill(s) the units have-- that doesn't work for everything but it can certainly work for many.

There are a lot of creative ways to get around what you believe are limits-- and honestly, you can frequently see exceptional creations born out of limitations.

15 hours ago, Ragnell17 said:

I wonder how easy would it be to add trial maps similar to FE7x where its entirely separated from the ongoing chapter by chapter gameplay.

ymUTVOt.png
I wonder that too.

FEXP isn't that much more complicated than FEXNA--the later has things more centralized and you don't have to mentally translate "MP at level 4" to "this growth rate" or whatever, but there are more features and thus more to keep track of. That said, if you want to hack, use buildfiles. Keep in touch with the folks who suggested it, because it's not easy to set up (IMHO), but it's quite easy to use afterwards. Indeed, FEXNA is, I think, much easier to do the mundane and the crazy, but if you can do something all-around cool in hacking, imagine what you'll be able to do once FEXNA is out! But if FEXNA comes out and you need to learn game development from scratch, you won't be too much better off than now, if you want to make so many projects. May as well start hacking one of the smaller ones now to get practice, and uh I think I've made my point lol

...That said, still don't use FEditor. It sucks.

4 hours ago, 47948201 said:

imagine what you'll be able to do once FEXNA is out!

I've been imagining for years now; but the longer I'm unable to actually act on it, the more likely I'll forget about what I wanted to do and eventually lose interest.

5 hours ago, 47948201 said:

imagine what you'll be able to do once FEXNA is out!

I did, but then Nintendo went and announced Shadows of Valentia, meaning that if it does well, my prospects of making a functional Thracia 776 remake fly out the damn window. Still, I'm trying to learn EA and MAKEHACK.cmd for other projects, and when FEXNA comes out, I'll be trying that, too. Whichever works best for me, I'll use. Also, I can't pixel art very well.

7 hours ago, Baby Bonnie Hood said:

the more likely I'll forget about what I wanted to do

emailing / dming / writing text documents / doodling on scratch paper

are all very powerful tools for """remembering"""" things even when your brain is addled...? ? ?  ? ?? ? ? ?? ? ?????????????????????????????????

Can vouch for notepad, been writing out stuff to remember for a later FEXNA game for years lol

It really does help to get the design figured out before you jump into things. You don't have to have every detail down, since you'll inevitably change things, but a guide to refer to for general "this is a thing to remember" is always nice.

20 hours ago, Baby Bonnie Hood said:

I've been imagining for years now; but the longer I'm unable to actually act on it, the more likely I'll forget about what I wanted to do and eventually lose interest.

19 hours ago, Hylian Air Force said:

I did, but then Nintendo went and announced Shadows of Valentia, meaning that if it does well, my prospects of making a functional Thracia 776 remake fly out the damn window. Still, I'm trying to learn EA and MAKEHACK.cmd for other projects, and when FEXNA comes out, I'll be trying that, too. Whichever works best for me, I'll use. Also, I can't pixel art very well.

...But FEXNA won't magically fix these issues. If you really want to do something, find a way to do it with the skills you have, or focus on gaining skills to do it. Anything less is an excuse.

In terms of making an FE5 remake, why not do it in FE5? Or, rather, you might want to check out Tequila's capture asm for FE8.

In terms of making a project, generally, write as much as you can on paper, in digital files, or anywhere else you can. You can always figure out the medium for your project later, and, when you're ready to get to work, you'll be better equipped to figure out what kind of medium will be best for you. If you're adamantly against learning THUMB (which is what GBA games primarily run, although I've also seen some cool hackers write their stuff in C) then waiting for FEXNA might be worth it. Maybe you might prefer working with the SNES, and then you'd learn 65816, or you could choose something different entirely.

If you're looking to do anything complex in FEXNA you'll more than likely have to learn some programming, too, so it's not like you can escape that, anyway. If you're struggling to work with any of these, you might want to look in to joining one or more chat groups for help. The SF discord server has a romhacking channel where you can ask for support, and/or you could join the FEU discord, which is pretty heavily hack-oriented. There's a lot of talented folks in both, so don't let your fangame dreams wither.

• 2 weeks later...

So Klok on the FEXNA subreddit updated us on a unit comparison tool. Pretty interesting with allowing it to be for both difficulties also. 

I hope to have a lot of fun messing around with this engine. The possibilities with adding code seems limitless. :)

I'm sorry if the question sounds stupid, but how does FEXNA interact with copyright strikes? Will Nintendo or IS send C&Ds for FEXNA projects, even if they don't bear the "Fire Emblem" title at all? I know that SPRG Studio makes for 100% copyright free projects, even if the gameplay is basically the same of Fire Emblem. So, I was just wondering if the same applied to FEXNA.

Edit: Hmh, some research gave me the answer. Nevermind.

Edited by Alfred Kamon