FEXNA (Currently In Private Beta)

BwdYeti

I don't work on FEXNA but I read the whole thread so I will try

Questions, will FE5 Capture be possible/toggable?

Will FEXNA feature it's own map maker, or do you still need to make maps via other programs?

Will Pair up be available/toggable?

These questions were probably asked earlier, but I'm too lazy to read the whole thread

FE5 Capturing I think is still up in the air but many people want it

FEXNA has a map maker, and I believe you can transfer maps from older map makers

Pair Up seems like a complicated thing to make and there was no mention of any interest to add it before

Edited by Roysourboy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE5 Capture is a major system that shouldn't be taken lightly--it's really several systems in one. But due to its popularity, I'm sure it'll be unofficially added, so keep an eye out for that.

Currently the best way to make FEXNA maps is with Yeti's separate Map Generator thingy. It has this pretty cool feature where you can give it a picture of a map and it'll recreate it in the proper format, so you can use any map creator you want. But currently there's none inside FEXNA's actual Editor (that may change though?)

Indeed, Pair Up is almost definitely not going to be officially added, so it's in a similar position to Capture. I think it'll be much easier to implement, though; mechanically I could probably do it pretty easily, it's just the menu that shows stat bonuses that would be tricky IMO.

Now, dual attack/guard is a COMPLETELY different story. Those are not going to be easy, on many levels.

Would dual attack/guard be difficult because of the extra animations needed? Shouldn't it be simple to add in all the other features if they're just extra routines you'd need to check for in the battle formula and variables to be added to a units character object? Though I have no idea how FEXNA is really programmed so for all I know it's more complicated than that.

To add onto Blademaster's question, would it be easier to do map animations for dual attack/guard than the battle animations? I have something rough in my head that might be feasible on the map, but I don't know how easy it would be.

Yes animating it would be troublesome, map animations may even be more difficult. Making it so after you attack there's a chance for extra damage to happen with no animation whatsoever would be a little complicated but not too bad (okay thinking about it it's possible that it would be too bad lol, but at least fairly doable. It's easier to just give a damage bonus), but making it based on an adjacent ally, and especially making it so you can choose which adjacent ally, is something I would not like to implement. Without animations, dual guard would be easier, it's just Great Shield whose activation rate depends on an adjacent ally so you could just scan all of them for who has the highest support level/defense or whatever but that's still a pretty involved thing to code.

(EDIT: also this is all without even bothering to give the player any information about the dual strike/guard like its chance of happening or how much damage it would deal, adding that to the battle screen or combat preview or menus or whatever would be a heck of a task just by itself)

Edited by 47948201

Currently the best way to make FEXNA maps is with Yeti's separate Map Generator thingy. It has this pretty cool feature where you can give it a picture of a map and it'll recreate it in the proper format, so you can use any map creator you want. But currently there's none inside FEXNA's actual Editor (that may change though?)

That's great. I love using that tool!

But that reminds me...how does FEXNA treat map tiles? Would it be difficult to create custom tiles?

idk how technical you want but while i wait for my 3ds to charge i'm somewhat bored so

Okay so uh the map generator creates maps by I guess making a 2d array of numbers, so like on a tileset where floor is 0, walls are 1, and a throne is 2, the data for a small fort might look like:

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

1 0 0 0 1 0 2 0 1

1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1

1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 1

1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1

1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1

This means that any tileset where floors are 0, walls are 1, and the throne is 2, can be used on this map and will look fine. As such, if you make an image:

0ac797dfc25650d2257b0e53af931fbf.png

then it can be used instead of default tilesets. If you instead made:

705494227a62b80a647b0fc69363e710.png

then you would give this the tileset data 2 0 1 (instead of 0 1 2) and it would work just as well. Any image of the correct size, if given the same number as is used in the map data, can be used as a tile.

Now, if you wanted to make a custom tile 99 for a bed, you would simply go to the tileset data and add it as an option, then make sure that the map data uses 99 in the places you want.

(There's more to it with how FEXNA specifically handles it but that's the idea I guess?)

Okay, I was a bit confused about all that until I remembered how the Pokemon map editor tool handles movement permissions for each tile. I'm guessing this is very similar. From the sounds of it, adding wall tiles to tilesets that don't have them would be relatively easy? (If not a bit tedious.)

Also, how are the palettes treated? Is it possible to have green grass and blue water? (FEGBA tilesets share palettes between the two, so you can't.)

Edited by BlueLeafeon

I'm pretty sure Klok just made the skill icons 16x16 for Sacred Contention Redux and he could fit up to 6 of them. *cough cough* I'm working on converting all of Awakening's icons to a 16x16 format. *cough cough*

Thankfully data for wall tiles exists, so rather than adding an entry, you'd just have to assign that data to all the tiles in the tileset.

By the way, there's an editor for that:

44692e39a74d73226c87b09b7f0ba492.png

(Tiles are color-coded by what type of tile they are. Magenta means I haven't bothered to assign them for this tileset, lime means plains, grey means wall, etc.

Palettes for tilesets are just separate tilesets, so you can have as many that are as different as you want.

Yes 16x16 skill icons would help a lot, I think Yeti said he was going to make it easier to change their size which sounds great. 16x16 Awakening icons, hmmmmm... (since the only reason I'm not changing the size for my game is because Fates icons are 24x24 by default but since you mention it I might look into giving them smaller and less antialiasy borders)

AFAIK you're getting the entire engine source, and it's pretty reasonably commented such that you can (with some searching) find things you're looking for but don't have to deal with tons of extra text attached to every line.

Editor source I'm unsure if will be available but at least its flexibility is being expanded.

With that tile editor, could you troll and make plains like mountains, thrones like vendors, and other tile misassignment? If so I may end up making a troll map for fun.

...My first thought was of Glitch City in Pokemon R/B/Y, even though that's not quite what you meant.

Nice to know I can assign walls to tilesets that don't have them. I can go revamp that Triannos Castle map to look how I really want it to look. :D I do wonder how complicated it would be to have mixed tiles, though. Like walls that overlap water. It would probably be tedious simply because of the water animation...

Edited by BlueLeafeon

...My first thought was of Glitch City in Pokemon R/B/Y, even though that's not quite what you meant.

Ooh, that's a pretty neat idea! I think I'll be making a trollish map pack once FEXNA goes public, and a garbled map would be quite interesting for that.

Walls that overlap water as in...?

Graphically I made some tiles where walls are above water and I think I still just called them Sea or whatever but if you want to make a tile that has, like, the mixed properties of walls and water somehow, you'd just add a new kind of tile and assign it to that.

• 1 month later...

Will the enemy control glitch exist in some form? Using the mines and torch staff to break the game is part of the fun.

Uhh.. if you want to create a map where enemies have no weapons then... go for it?

'Breaking the game' is kinda redundant when you're the one making it.

Unless you're talking about playing other people projects in which the answer is no. Unless Yeti is mad enough actually "program" this to be a thing.

Otherwise you could probably just edit other people's games and 'break' them how you want.

Uhh.. if you want to create a map where enemies have no weapons then... go for it?

'Breaking the game' is kinda redundant when you're the one making it.

Unless you're talking about playing other people projects in which the answer is no. Unless Yeti is mad enough actually "program" this to be a thing.

Otherwise you could probably just edit other people's games and 'break' them how you want.

Actually, I'd be all for a "canto" staff. And a charming mine might actually be interesting. Take control of a unit by having it step on a panel?

I know that's not what he meant, but madness only seems to stimulate good ideas in my eyes.

Actually, I'd be all for a "canto" staff. And a charming mine might actually be interesting. Take control of a unit by having it step on a panel?

I know that's not what he meant, but madness only seems to stimulate good ideas in my eyes.

Oh by all means, staves with awesome effects would be welcomed. 'Mind control' is an amazing concept for an offensive staff.

Considering that 'statuses' or 'states' should be highly customisable there are plenty of possibilities and ways to make gameplay really interesting. On that note, Fate's one-turn status staves are far more balanced than what the series has always had before, and you can have a lot of experimentation with this concept (Freeze, Mind control, Disarming, Debuffs, Fear, Stat-swapping etc....).

Or in reverse, staves that apply skills to allies. For example, a staff that gives one of your units 'Counter' (reflects all damage taken) for a turn.

I've thought about this for a while... I'm likely going to end up adding all this (or anything that isn't there to begin with) eventually.

Edited by DLuna

Enemy control glitch is highly unlikely to exist officially, but you're welcome to add it if you really want.

Both of what Augestein said should be possible, the Again staff really doesn't sound too hard. Mind control sounds definitely tougher but I'm imagining it not being too out there.

Statuses that freeze or debuff are pretty easy, disarming, stat-swapping, and counter don't sound too hard, but fear I'm less sure about. I vaguely remember some AI routine of that sort existing but it's not its own mission so it'd take some doing but I'm not sure how much.

'Fear' would basically just mean enemy AI changes to 'Find available location where they cannot be attacked, else, find location that's "most safe" (least damage taken from enemy units) or 'location that's most far away from enemy units'. AI mode changes to that whenever under this state.

So.. shouldn't be too difficult.

Cool status effect to have as a form of 'Crowd Control' but can have consequences if that unit ends up re-engaging with another group of units. So it's a rather balanced form of CC (especially on defend maps where you're essentially just delaying their offence which can completely backfire pending on where other enemies are).

On the topic of stat swapping, a staff that inverts DEF and RES would be so hype. Would fit a 'Witch' class so much.

Edited by DLuna