FEXNA (Currently In Private Beta)

BwdYeti

This is likely pretty dumb to ask.... and I'm not certain if anyone has mentioned this yet, but what's going on with Manaketes? I suspect that they are indeed in, but I kinda just wanted to ask regardless.

Last I know from their talk, the manaketes are in the list.

But who knows what changed.

Found link. http://puu.sh/7dQzn.txt

250-253

Edited by Fateborn

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They'll be in but aren't currently supported yet. Main issue is the pre and post battle animations, like the way the fire dragon enters the battle and the demon king fades in, or how the manakete transforms when the battle starts. Once we add support for that we'll add the animations.

The map sprites for every class are done already, courtesy of Booton.

• 3 weeks later...

I am already looking forward to the possibilities of this software; the creative fun of making Fire Emblem levels done mostly in hacking, with the ease of use of RPG Maker? Amazing. Now just include a FE5 capture mechanic and I will be all kinds of Van Gogh for BwdYeti.

• 1 month later...

Regarding FE5 capture... I want that too. I keep begging Yeti, we'll see what happens, hehe.

As far as the comment about RPG Maker, you probably mean "The ease of use that's kinda similar to RPG Maker", unless you're referring to the old engine, FEXP. FEXP was made with and uses RPG Maker XP, so that's more relevant. FEXNA uses Microsoft XNA, and it's better simply because the tools are custom-made for ease-of-creation.

Oh and here's an update to one of the editors from the OP. Notice anything new?

705c4a5c31.png

Edited by Klok

Regarding FE5 capture... I want that too. I keep begging Yeti, we'll see what happens, hehe.

As far as the comment about RPG Maker, you probably mean "The ease of use that's kinda similar to RPG Maker", unless you're referring to the old engine, FEXP. FEXP was made with and uses RPG Maker XP, so that's more relevant. FEXNA Use Microsoft XNA, and it's better simply because the tools are custom-made for ease-of-creation.

Oh and here's an update to one of the editors from the OP. Notice anything new?

705c4a5c31.png

I think the RPGMaker comparisons were structurally based. This window, for example, is very RPG Maker is structure, design and functionality (Which I am absolutely okay with - It's not terribly cluttered IMO, it conveys a great deal of information, and so on..)

The small details are where it shines - I like that PRF is taggable dead center, and flexible to Char/class/type. Also variable torch radius is neat.

I don't recall the old window well enough but...Can we assume the skills tab binds a skill to an item, enabling a Sol sword, Astra Bow, etc. or is it meant to be 'use item -> gain skill' like the FE5 manuals?

I think the RPGMaker comparisons were structurally based. This window, for example, is very RPG Maker is structure, design and functionality (Which I am absolutely okay with - It's not terribly cluttered IMO, it conveys a great deal of information, and so on..)

Yeah don't get me wrong, Yeti based it on traditional game creation windows, including that of RPG Maker, so there are definite similarities.

I don't recall the old window well enough but...Can we assume the skills tab binds a skill to an item, enabling a Sol sword, Astra Bow, etc. or is it meant to be 'use item -> gain skill' like the FE5 manuals?

As you can see in the screenshot, there is no skills tab (just yet...!) and I can't comment on future functionality. Unless you're referring to that text entry spot for skills, and in that case yes that's where you would assign skills. Nosferatu, for example, doesn't drain HP explicitly. It has a skill attached to it that drains HP and assigns an animation when draining. If it finds that the "drain hp" animation exists, it plays that part after the main spell is over. If the "drain hp" animation doesn't exist, it just drains HP on hit, much like Sol making a sword heal HP on hit.

I hope that made sense. Basically, a lot of stuff is hardcoded, but Skills are your cheat code that allow you to defy such limitations.

Repair kit repairs items?

Or is it super beta item

Items can give buffs?

(you didn't block out the coat of arms sprite, or am I misunderstanding why you blocked out the other custom sprites)

1st: Yes.

2nd: No.

3rd: Yes.

4th: I didn't blot them out. They just don't have icons yet.

Yeah don't get me wrong, Yeti based it on traditional game creation windows, including that of RPG Maker, so there are definite similarities.

As you can see in the screenshot, there is no skills tab (just yet...!) and I can't comment on future functionality. Unless you're referring to that text entry spot for skills, and in that case yes that's where you would assign skills. Nosferatu, for example, doesn't drain HP explicitly. It has a skill attached to it that drains HP and assigns an animation when draining. If it finds that the "drain hp" animation exists, it plays that part after the main spell is over. If the "drain hp" animation doesn't exist, it just drains HP on hit, much like Sol making a sword heal HP on hit.

I hope that made sense. Basically, a lot of stuff is hardcoded, but Skills are your cheat code that allow you to defy such limitations.

Yeah, that was quite insightful in terms of understanding how FEXNA does its business, so thank you.

Skills are coded individually in XNA (the language, not the editor proper), correct?

Skills are coded individually in XNA (the language, not the editor proper), correct?

Yep. I think the language itself is called C# though.

Are items like the crusader scrolls being taken into consideration?

You can already do those in FEXP, so yes. However, we're looking to make those even easier, as right now you have to first code a skill that increases the stats or stat growths, then assign that skill to the item. We're looking to also add static bonuses for items and weapons that you just enter into the editor. It's low priority though, but if it gets added then it makes a swords that gives 125% growth bonuses to all stats 50% easier to attach to a weapon/item.

Edit: Oops, I forgot.

759aa33297.png

This was actually in the screenshot above. Items already have the functionality I described, we're just considering adding the functionality for weapons too.

Edited by Klok

Yep. I think the language itself is called C# though.

Yep. It's C#.

I 100% support the inclusion of Capture, but Yeti shouldn't feel he has to code all sorts of extraneous features himself. Presumably if its open to the community, others can work it out. The man's workload is already considerable.

Presumably if its open to the community, others can work it out.

That's part of the intent yes. RMXP is a good comparison I think: the source code is included and you can modify or add to that, or create new systems and share them, but all the basic stuff with stats and graphics and maps and etc will be accessible from the editor

How would map creation and insertion work, Yeti?

Also will there be the possibility of custom tilesets and palettes?

Edited by Haku