FEXNA (Currently In Private Beta)

BwdYeti

Given that the tilesets are just images and palettes, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to incorporate new ones - you probably would just need to define (i.e. code) new properties for tiles that don't follow an existing template (i.e. Throne, Plains, etc.). Same with defining new palettes for tilesets - it probably just reads them in straight from the new tileset you are adding.

And, given that FEXNA is written in C#, if the above isn't true right now, all it should take is someone coding in the above functionality to make it work.

Edited by Lord Glenn

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would map creation and insertion work, Yeti?

Also will there be the possibility of custom tilesets and palettes?

I'd like to note, Trial map 3 has a custom tilseset. (the wall that comes out of the mountain doesn't exist in vanilla unless I am forgetting something)

Edited by L95

Given that the tilesets are just images and palettes, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to incorporate new ones - you probably would just need to define (i.e. code) new properties for tiles that don't follow an existing template (i.e. Throne, Plains, etc.). Same with defining new palettes for tilesets - it probably just reads them in straight from the new tileset you are adding.

And, given that FEXNA is written in C#, if the above isn't true right now, all it should take is someone coding in the above functionality to make it work.

Yeti has a handy tool that makes map insertion as well as map tileset insertion really easy. It might be in the OP but if not, this is it currently. (WIP, seriously guys, WIP.)

f49bb90641.png

Most of the waiting on FEXNA comes from yeti finishing key editors such as this one, and the few remaining extraneous ingame features.

Yeti has a handy tool that makes map insertion as well as map tileset insertion really easy. It might be in the OP but if not, this is it currently. (WIP, seriously guys, WIP.)

f49bb90641.png

Most of the waiting on FEXNA comes from yeti finishing key editors such as this one, and the few remaining extraneous ingame features.

Again, very RPGMaker, so super easy to use once you get used to it. Looking forward to it.

Klok, is it possible to show a shot of the windows/programs used to setup spell/battle animations?

Edited by Siuloir

That particular program is in the OP, and also is currently being edited so even if I post screenshots, it will be different in the final release. Yeti's trying to streamline animations because animations have always been a pain to add into hacks/fexp/fexna.

P.S. why did you quote me twice? Wallotext much? XD

Edited by Klok

That particular program is in the OP, and also is currently being edited so even if I post screenshots, it will be different in the final release. Yeti's trying to streamline animations because animations have always been a pain to add into hacks/fexp/fexna.

P.S. why did you quote me twice? Wallotext much? XD

Wall of image more like!

Because I fail at buttons, apparently :D. (Likely I hit it twice, and then failed to realize it because I was using the small post window.) Kinda like I failed to look back at the editor in the OP.

Again, all this looks super familiar to me, so I'm rather enthusiastic - The setup is well within my comfort zone and past experience.

They do by default already.

If you're asking about MAG/STR split, it's anyone's guess. Not currently implemented and not planned to be implemented by yeti's choice, but if like 500 people bug him about adding it, you might be able to sway him :P

I'm pretty sure every person in the beta, including myself, have requested it at some point or another. He makes good points about how fairly useless it is, but on the other hand I personally want it in my own game since I'm planning for magic users to be more than just... attackers and healers.

Anyway, if he adds it, he adds it. If not, there are workarounds, and the more people who beat him over the head with requests, the higher chance he has of implementing it. You could also commission him post-release and he might just code it for more incentive than a polite "thank you".

I dunno, having the option for the split seems like a fairly big deal. It was one of the most limiting aspects of the GBA games compared to the rest of the series.

I'm pretty sure every person in the beta, including myself, have requested it at some point or another. He makes good points about how fairly useless it is, but on the other hand I personally want it in my own game since I'm planning for magic users to be more than just... attackers and healers.

Anyway, if he adds it, he adds it. If not, there are workarounds, and the more people who beat him over the head with requests, the higher chance he has of implementing it. You could also commission him post-release and he might just code it for more incentive than a polite "thank you".

To be fair, a STR/MAG split is only useful to hybrids, and only to differentiate their staff/tome ability from their physical weapon ability, which if you think about is a fairly niche case, so I can understand his stance. Since it's an open source program, if someone wanted to do things the easy way, you could just (conceptually speaking) rejigger it to use RES as MAG even (a la Jugdral) and then swap the Staff calculations over to RES as well.

As I think I've said before, I'm of the opinion that Yeti should be left to code what Yeti needs, and then the community can actually step up. I'd rather have a quicker, modular release than a drawn out, feature-heavy one.

Edited by Siuloir

it'd just be another (set of) variable(s) in the class/character/unit structs anyway

unless yeti did some weird stuff for the sake of optimization it shouldnt be too difficult for the community to step up anyway

Edited by CT075

Yeah that was the other thing too, since C# is a ridiculously commonplace language it's no biggie if he doesn't add it so I've stopped pressing the issue. I'm more interested in multiple promotions than that :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully you can please my curiosity, if you will, but I would fashion to inquire as to the extent of control we will have, if any is granted, that we have of cutscenes in regards to image display?

In mind, I recollect the openings of Fire Emblem 7 and Fire Emblem 8, both pre-title and prologue chapter, as I had just played through Fire Emblem 8's prologue chapter and was quite intrigued by whether I could manage something similar in FEXNA where in FE8 it shows off all the different nations. More or less, the cutscene itself boils down to nothing but images on top of one another, but I figured I'd ask.

So, will we have the ability to do things like over-world cutscenes, will we have the ability to over-lay images and can we control those images to perform certain ways.

Images that I feel might help explain or give a general idea of what I'm trying hopelessly to explain.

1: Image of Joshua from FE8's opening.

2hi1kyg.png

2: During opening of FE8, a fog overlay is displayed and is scrolling whilst having semi-transparency, hopefully this can be replicated in FEXNA.

9pnr7m.png

Not to mention that when you near the end of the opening of FE7, you see the legendary weapons all spiral in to the centre and change in size, those features would be nice.

Image manipulation, would probably be an apt way of describing it, I imagine, suppose this is why I often choose not to post early in the morning, my brain doesn't work.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great program. Great job so far!

Are skills going to be added? Wrath, Elite, Critical, Pursuit, Canto and Meteor Sword, Sol, Astra, Continue and Renewal are good examples. Skills make hacks amazing.And also, a Strength/Magic split would be awesome. That would make it easier to create hacks based on FE4 classes e.g. Master Knight, Mage Knight, Mage Fighter, Princess. And can you add an editor to create custom staves, including staves that resurrect dead units? It would make it easier to implement the Valkyrie Staff into a hack.

Also, will it be possible to add maps made in Tiled?

Maybe an option to repair and forge weapons and spells would be nice.

Also, how about the drill grounds idea with a healer, like in FE7x.

Also, is there an estimated release date?

Edited by Tangerine

Some skills are already made and other skills can be made in C# pretty easily(or at least a lot easier than doing it in assembly)

I *think* Yeti was working on a program to convert .mar and .fmp to usable map formats idk about .tmx though

There is no planned release date

Are skills going to be added? Wrath, Elite, Critical, Pursuit, Canto and Meteor Sword, Sol, Astra, Continue and Renewal are good examples. Skills make hacks amazing.And also, a Strength/Magic split would be awesome. That would make it easier to create hacks based on FE4 classes e.g. Master Knight, Mage Knight, Mage Fighter, Princess. And can you add an editor to create custom staves, including staves that resurrect dead units? It would make it easier to implement the Valkyrie Staff into a hack.

I'm not sure if it's just your wording, or you don't understand, but yeti's engine has nothing to do with hacking. If yeti's engine has a revive from dead staff, it doesn't magically make it possible to hack one in.

(Also, if you've been following Yeti's engine, you'll know that skills like Astra are definitely already in.)

...Aren't meteor sword and astra the same thing?

If you want FE4/5 classes, add them yourself. We're adding all -decent- or better fan-imations from the feditor topic that we will get permission for, all the gba classes from fe6-8 (Read: This puush) and a few of yeti's FE7x classes. Most of the skills you mentioned are already in the engine and can be added with a novice's knowledge of fexna. (Heck I've added a couple myself and I'm universally known as a shit coder)

Also, will it be possible to add maps made in Tiled?

Maybe an option to repair and forge weapons and spells would be nice.

Also, how about the drill grounds idea with a healer, like in FE7x.

1. Whether it'll be pre or post release, I don't know, but at some point yes.

2. Dunno.

3. No idea what you're talking about.

Also, is there an estimated release date?

Edited by Klok