straight thread

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Confession: contemplating the scenario Makaze just presented (that is, imagining a hypothetical androgynous person I found attractive in every physical and mental capacity possible, but whose sex organs I couldn't be sure of), and looking at my response ("..I guess I don't immediately feel like their being male would matter enough to rule out wanting them? am I only hetero if that idea turns me off instantly? because for some reason I'm not having a visceral 'dICK? more like DEAL BREAKER' kinda reaction here") was what made me start to wonder if I was whatever constitutes straight, even if that thought alone didn't make me decisively identify as bi.

[spoiler=gross]squirrel boys did the rest

Basically, I must recuse myself from advocating the legitimacy or lack thereof of Schrodinger's androgyne

If you go by that definition, then it's much safer to say that there are individuals who are 100% something. They are 100% not turned on by their own genitalia, or by different genitalia. But because people can have traits that turn you on along with genitalia that doesn't, you cannot say that you are 100% not turned on by them as a person based on that alone.

I'll just respond to the 10% (random number) of your post that isn't nonsense.

Yes, you can "100% say" you are not attracted to them in a sexual way. There is no percentage scale of sexual orientation. You either want to have sex with x, you do not, or you're not sure. It does not matter if they have traits that you would find arousing in a member of your preferred gender if the most important trait in determining whether or not you will enter a physical relationship with them does not meet your preference.

I repeat, you can find something about someone attractive and have it be nothing more than that. You are overcomplicating such a simple concept that I am honestly not surprised that Integrity warned me about trying to discuss anything with you.

They can be 'tricked' if you will into being aroused by someone outside of their orientation if the cause of arousal keeps their genitalia a secret.

Scratch that, I want to respond to this so I can dedicate a section of my post to laughing at it.

Hahaha.

Come on.

Correct me if I am wrong: You are saying that if they ultimately choose not to have sex with someone, they are not sexually attracted to them.

Edited by Makaze

I kinda quit following this argument a long long time ago so idk where it's gone by now... but I'm just a very very simple tiny-brained girl who thinks this argument should have been over ever since "don't assume things about people you don't know." Since... well... you don't know... and I guess it's not like everybody is going to be the exact same way... I feel like people are always so difficult to get since there are always exceptions... Although I'm not sure if that part has been settled by now and if it's about a completely different part or not...

But I guess... that's all I really feel about this "debate" is that I feel like it probably should not have gone on much further x3 And I'm sure you wanted to know how I felt, right~

Correct me if I am wrong: You are saying that if they choose not to have sex with someone, they are not sexually attracted to them.

No, in your scenario you were inferring that if you were attracted to someone without knowing what their genitals were that you are somehow "less" straight or gay if they turn out to be the opposite sex of what you're attracted to. I am saying that actual straight/gay people would generally be turned off the moment that became clear to them.

You can be attracted to traits of theirs and still not be attracted to the person sexually if they are not what you would enter a physical relationship with. I have a gay friend who thinks I am attractive, and I actually met them because I was asking them out. They turned me down despite thinking I was attractive because they were not interested in me sexually.

Lock requested by OP. Guess he saved us all on some drama.

oh and just to be fair (omg you locked it to get the last word in!), Makaze responded in the IP chat so I'll just put it here.

Guess I'll say it here then. I see what you mean and you're right to a large extent. If something breaks the deal, you could say they are not attracted to you. But I'd still argue that they're not attracted to one part of that person. I argue that because there is a ton of social pressure to stick to a specific sexuality and you seemed to be perpetuating those pressures callously. My point doesn't have much application besides opening minds.
Edited by Tangerine