Smirks' Sprites

Lt.Smirks

Once again, Smirks, the animation needs him to take a split second to "heft" the axe downwards before tossing it up in the air, unless the axe is made of plastic. It looks like a big heavy axe, so he needs to build up momentum before he first tosses it in the air.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MIo9PU3.gif

GZuC4OV.png

aW9BXdb.png

Some random battle sprite stuff I've been working on.

Remember those Frozen sprites I did before?... Yeah I didn't think so.

vikcyz0.png

Top are fixed versions, Bottom is original.

BdBvYQZ.png

Random splice

I'm still working on those other battle sprites, but I don't have anything to post yet.

Edit: I almost forgot.

zuA0IoN.png

Was listening to the soundtrack and got inspired.

Made an update to the first post.

Edited by Lt.Smirks

Big fan of all these designs... and so I will try and give hopefully helpful thoughts on them.

-For whatever reason the random splice guy looks really good to me. Maybe his hair could be a little shrunk, but I don't know that it even needs that. Just looks clean and classy to my eyes.

-Hard to go wrong with a well done Dreamworks battle sprite, only criticism would be a slightly smaller Hiccup(no pun intended) might look a little better. The GBA Riders are smaller in general than the regular FE battlesprites for whatever reason at least that I can see.

-The Frozen mugs look better. I think you nailed Elsa, don't think that one needs any change. Anna is better, still seems slightly off, maybe make the right cheek slightly more round or shrink the eyes a pixel or so? Kristoff is way better, less derpy, no more double chin... as for improvements, maybe slightly diff. expression for his face and pixel larger for the eyes would look better? Hans... Yeah, good stuff captures his look well... something bugs me about his neck and jawline on the right though. He perhaps could do with eyes a pixel larger as well? Not sure... but either way, very impressive customs.

-Now for the Battlesprites, I like the designs... definately different seeing an assasin based magic user, and archers need a trainee. Only design change I might suggest would be perhaps some sort of thin strap/belt on the Archer trainees chest? More of a link to the archer/sniper designs with something like that as well as differentiating the design from the Journeyman and Pupil a little more.

-As for critiques, the magician's animation could do with being slightly more dynamic, I realize the magic user sprites don't move much, but it seems awkward to my eyes that his body barely moves at all while the arms do stuff... also feel like his shoulders/arms need to move up a pixel as right now his neck would be absurdly long.

Main body shading loses some details at the moment to my eyes, maybe putting some more of the lighter color in would help as right now the dark look blends the pixels together a bit too much to my eyes.

-Archer trainee, maybe a shift over a pixel on the right arm would look better, currently looks a little blockish. Bow could be maybe a pixel lower, shading on clothes maybe a little pillowish? I dunno... Nothing major just some slight tweaks in my opinion on both of those battle sprites would get them from good to awesome.

Anyways, you do good work... definately looking forward to seeing more. Hope my thoughts were helpful.

The mage's lean back doesn't look natural. I'd reference the sword master's dodge, and figure out where in his body he's actually bending back from. Alternatively, he could thrust his torso forward before flinging his arms forward (pushing his torso back).

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd try something different.

fRJaQ2c.pngZzGHoKt.png

(yes they're supposed to have the same crest) Right is still WIP

cg4LzVH.png

Two more mugs for a personal hack.

Edited by Lt.Smirks

vdgAPyn.png

I did as @deranger suggested and looked at Merc's masterpieces.

It was pretty close but I stretched him just a little bit more. (I hate hands.)

aff2xi7.png

Random splice (that I really like)

SFgUT60.gif

And a GIF of all my splice competition sprites.

• 1 month later...

Well I hope everyone had a great Christmas and new year!

I realized how long it's been since I last posted so here is some newish stuff.

g6OBZer.png

Slightly different versions. Personally I think I like the one on the left better.

co47XXf.png

also nadder I've been messing with.

• 2 weeks later...

Think he is closing his eyes as he shoots the arrow.

I quite like the release and the upper body on this sprite. That looks good to me. The kneel seems a little awkward looking at the moment however, as his upper body/torso seems to remain static entirely through the animation.

I know it makes it easier to animate, but there probably should be some movement/bending/change there before he straightens up to fire the bow? Kind of like how the trainee mage and trainee fighter have some extra movement, being a newbie archer he probably wouldn't be perfectly still while kneeling and firing a bow... Maybe the end of the animation could have him pull a new arrow out of his little pouch as well? (Otherwise where are these arrows coming from?)

...all that aside, very cool! Great to see this one animated! (and glad the tweak was helpful for ya Smirks :D)

EDIT:

Looking at it closely again, the details with the bow and the hair are really good! Love how his hair actually animates as the bow string whooshes by. Bow looks well animated too! ...Just really needs more movement for the body I think.

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

@deranger- yes it does.

@L95- Errant is right. First he squints and then his eyes close. Sorta like how the mages look away when they attack.

@Errant- Yes, I had noticed his body was a little bit stiff. I'll work on that. I had thought about arrows in his pouch but FE doesn't seem to mind pulling items out of then air ( I'm thinking cavalier with javelin). I'm glad you like it.

@Errant- Thank you!

@GK- Good point. It's a single pixel drop. I've amended it on the sheet but I haven't made a GIF yet.

svFvKes.gif

The rest of that animation.

Edited by Lt.Smirks

The critical? XD

Yeah thinking on the normal kneeling bow shot, looking at it now the bent leg seems elongated compared to his normal standing leg. Like the boot is longer/bigger... Leg different size as well. I realize that changes with perspective but it probably shouldn't change that much. That leads to his body and forward leg not really bending changing shape at all as they don't have to move in the current form.

Whereas I believe the body should have its torso bend/compress. The front leg likewise wouldn't remain exactly the same, it would bend/stretch or change position/angle slightly to compensate for the weight of the body.

Try doing the position in your mind in reality and see where your weight falls and how it shifts your body... I'm definitely no expert but that's what I would recommend.

...anyways, the issues with the original bow shot being a bit static and lacking movement aren't present from what I can see in the arrow drop toss... Though might wanna watch the proportions. I really love that animation! Great comedy and personality. Much like the pupil's awkward movements. Reminds you that this guy is a trainee. :D

Nice work, Smirks.

Edited by TheErrantShepherd