What if Nintendo stoped making consoles and instead made games for other developers?

IceBrand

I have a feeling that Nintendo would just kill of all their franchises if they wouldn't be able to make consoles anymore.

I think the games might drop in quality if it did happen. Nintendo knows how to get the most out of the consoles they create, but I think they aren't used to making things for stuff they did't build.

Edited by Sasori

Basically like what Sega did. How would things be if you saw Zelda, Mario, Fire Emblem, etc games on Sony or Microsoft consoles?

Absolutely disgusting.

Nintendo is an innovator and a driving force. We can't afford to lose that, even if they botch things from time to time.

This is a topic I thought about for a while, mainly because of all the Nintendo hate and all the doom&gloom articles that were made since the release of the Wii U.

A lot of people want Nintendo to go out of the console business and to go third party, mainly because they claim that the competitors consoles are superior.

I personally disagree with that opinion and find the PS4 and XBONE to be extremely boring consoles, looking more like upgraded versions of their predecessor with little differences or like crappy PCs. Nintendo at least tries to do different thing. The DS and Wii brought innovations that changed the way we play games way more than what the other consoles offered and Nintendo tried to reproduce this with the 3DS and Wii U, but their innovation aren't as drastic as what their predecessor did. The 3D is a nice visual enhancement, but has little gameplay application and the gamepad is more an addition of little convenient things than truly game-changing(the problem with the gamepad is that its utility doesn't become apparent until you play with for a while).

Even with everyone saying the Wii U is last gen(which no matter what its power, it is not), I've seen some developers praise the Wii U's power and even some techies on internet claim that from all the console this gen, the Wii U is the one that is truly a technological feat. They say that while Sony and MS just created what is little more than a PC dedicated to games and media, Nintendo was able to create a machine that display HD graphics that are not that far behind from its competition on 2 screens seamlessly and at 60fps while still being extremely energy efficient.

Yet, most game sites, gamers and even 3rd party devs seems to have something against nintendo. While the big N definitely has change some things, I think that the main reason why they're failing to sell is because they're not buying into the 'ultra realistic m-rated' craze that has become an obsession in a lot of the community. They instead focus most of the time on games that appeal to a wide range of ages and focus more on aesthetic, art direction and gameplay than graphics, meaning that most of their games will stand the test of time better than what others can produce(I'm saying this in a really general manner. Ocarina of time is still memorable while most CoD stop mattering the minute a new one comes out).

Another nice thing about Nintendo is that they don't charge for online and have until now, stayed pretty tame with DLCs and micro-transactions.

tl;dr: Things would be bad if Nintendo went 3rd party.

Absolutely disgusting.

Nintendo is an innovator and a driving force. We can't afford to lose that, even if they botch things from time to time.

Honestly what I was going to say. Honestly, while I'm far from the biggest Nintendo fan, their antics are because they are willing to experiment. And they make great things from it, even if they stumble from time to time.

And super respect for Iwata for cutting his own salary for the performance of the company in regards to the Wii U.

Seriously, the people running Nintendo deserve my utmost respect, even if they may go through hard times.

If you had asked me this question 3 years ago, I'd say it would be absolutely disgusting and a terrible thing to happen

Nowadays, I couldn't care less. As long as they'd still make great games, I don't mind where they are. A playstation with nintendo games = instant win

At least then I would be able to play their great games without having to buy a gimmicky, overpriced and weak home console without 3rd party support (the wii U)

That said, I still prefer the current situation, because the 3ds is my favorite video game console ever and I also love all of their handhelds, and I doubt anyone would be able to replicate their success on the portables area if they became a 3rd party company.

Edited by Smogon'sWashingMachine

If you had asked me this question 3 years ago, I'd say it would be absolutely disgusting and a terrible thing to happen

Nowadays, I couldn't care less. As long as they'd still make great games, I don't mind where they are. A playstation with nintendo games = instant win

At least then I would be able to play their great games without having to buy a gimmicky, overpriced and weak home console without 3rd party support (the wii U)

That said, I still prefer the current situation, because the 3ds is my favorite video game console ever and I also love all of their handhelds, and I doubt anyone would be able to replicate their success on the portables area if they became a 3rd party company.

I don't see how the Wii U is overpriced. It's 300$, which is 100$ cheaper than the PS4 and 200$ cheaper than the XB1, it has no fees for the online service and an added bonus is that all the Wii controllers work with it, so you don't to shelve out to much money to play with multiple people if you already had a Wii.

As for the gimmick part, I initially was pretty dubious about the gamepad, but since I've played around with it for a while, I can say that I like it a lot.

And for the weak part, this is only my opinion, but I think it's powerful enough. The Metroid Prime Trilogy on the GC and Wii are some of the most beautiful games I've played as are the Galaxy games and Skyward Sword. Even Xenoblade with its horrible graphics still managed to amaze me with its beautiful art direction(I think Satorl Marsh at night is the most beautiful game vista I seen). 3D world and WWHD showed that Nintendo is able to make spectacular graphics and the X trailer was just astounding. I personally don't need more power than that.

The only thing I concede is the 3rd party games and apart from a few of them, I mostly don't care about any big multiplatforms, but I guess I'm an oddity(especially if you add my distaste for ultra-realism and over the top violence)

Edited by LuxSpes

Sega only jumped off the console wars because they couldn't afford to stay after a string of really bad business decisions, after all

So, that would mean 1) the death of Nintendo - and possibly 2) of consoles in general, probably 3) in favor of mobile gaming instead of PC

I can live with 1 and 2, but 3 wouldn't be cool

(I think Satorl Marsh at night is the most beautiful game vista I seen)

I disagree with the almost entirety of your post, but facts are facts

Dat Satorl Marsh

I wouldn't be bothered that much but if they had to work for Sony or Microsoft 's console, I'd definitely want it to be for Sony's.

For starters, it would be nice that their first-party gems are now on a console with better third-party support so you don't end up buying a console for just their first-party games and finding little good third-party stuff like with the Wii. Most of the Wii's library was shit outside their first-party games with very few third-party titles worth my time.

Secondly, because the motion controls on the other consoles aren't the main controller like the Wiimote is for the Wii, maybe then we'll see more first-party titles that aren't plagued with the lack of a traditional controller option.

Finally, for consumers such as myself who enjoy some of the IPs exclusive to Sony's console, it'd be more beneficial to have the likes of Insomniac Games, Naughty Dog and Nintendo on 1 console.

Edited by Sirius

Well, asides for what SoC and Balcerzak and LuxSpes said...

Well, remember Nintendo also translates and export games from other parties. It's tha,ks to them we had every Dragon Quest games and Bravely Default. Because outside of numbered FF and KH games, Square Enix couldn't care less about the Western audiences. They won't do that if they went out of business. That would be a terrible loss for all of us.

And, apparently they want to develop this trend.

Then, whatever the problems are with the Wii U, the 3DS is exremely sucessfull. How successfull ? Well, some mobile game are being ported on 3DS. Region Lock Problem asides, it's a popular and amazing game console.

They accept their mistakes and do their best to fix them.

I would quit gaming.

Losing SEGA was already a huge blow, I wouldn't be able to stand Nintendo leaving too.

Also regarding its 'expensiveness,' I'd actually wager that it's the complete opposite. Nintendo is currently the only company that isn't constantly undervaluing its games.

Edited by Ike-Mike

If Nintendo stopped making consoles and went third party, the entire industry would likely eventually die. I'm serious. The reason is this video Malebolganone showed me awhile back and the guy in it totally speaks the truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4LwNOL0jf4

Nintendo isn't just part of the gaming industry. It basically IS the industry. Just listen to this guy and you'll know why. He has me convinced.

Edited by Anacybele

If Nintendo stopped making consoles and went third party, the entire industry would likely eventually die. I'm serious. The reason is this video Malebolganone showed me awhile back and the guy in it totally speaks the truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4LwNOL0jf4

Nintendo isn't just part of the gaming industry. It basically IS the industry. Just listen to this guy and you'll know why. He has me convinced.

I said the exact same thing, and referenced the exact same video... Ninzendo definitely knows what he's talking about. Like he said, barring Nintendo, game companies are being run by people who don't know games

+Impressed for Ana and Malebolganone

And super respect for Iwata for cutting his own salary for the performance of the company in regards to the Wii U.

Seriously, the people running Nintendo deserve my utmost respect, even if they may go through hard times.

Totally agree. These kind of actions speak vollumes. It says that he takes responsibility for the copanies shortcomings and wants to resolve them. It says he cares enough about the lower rung employees to not make them bear the burden of higher salary cuts.

Those are things I wish I could say about more of the head honchos in other leading companies.

Company presidents cutting their salary is standard practice in Japan.

But tbqh it's much better than blaming someone and forcing them to step down.

Oh no, the team has lost the World Cup/Champions League/Superbowl/whatever! The coach is obviously at fault! We must fire him!

We must fire the club president, too! And the star players! No, the team lost because the entire association is corrupt!
Why not just fire everyone?!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4LwNOL0jf4

You're talking about the guy who claimed that Nintendo saved all of gaming, which is mostly false.

Zen Gamer is one of those Nintendo boys. The ones who make the real ones look bad.

Edited by BLS

You know, a lot of things that gamers tend to credit Nintendo for inventing weren't actually invented by Nintendo.

The Nintendo 64's gamepad wasn't the first game controller to use an analog stick; that was the Atari 5200's.

The Virtual Boy wasn't the first portable console with 3D effects; the Tomytronic 3D was a extremely similar console that came out in 1983 and actually featured color graphics (in contrast the VB's monochromatic graphics).

The Vectrex used a light pen that allowed for touch-sensitive gaming decades before the Nintendo DS came out. The Game.Com also featured a touch screen, though in a rather crude fashion.

The Wii wasn't the first game system to incorporate motion controls, as there had been game accessories released in the 1990s and the 2000s that featured this technology. Before the '90s, there were the Pantomation and the Smartland SL 6401.

The technology for the 3DS's glasses-free 3D screen was around since at least 2004. A notebook, the Sharp Actius RD3D used a glasses-free parallax barrier 3D screen, using the same exact technology the 3DS uses to achieve 3D. There was also a TV around the time too by the same company. And guess who makes the screens in the 3DS? That's right-it's Sharp.

The Rumble Pack for the Nintendo 64 wasn't the first console gaming peripheral to enable force feedback. An unknown strap-on device called The Aura did the same thing two years earlier.

This isn't meant as a dig against Nintendo and yes, they're still a lot more innovative than some others out there but the point is that they're credited with a lot of stuff (and often claim credit themselves) for a lot of stuff that didn't innovate.

I want Nintendo to make consoles as long as they can, but if the (absolute) worst should happen, I'd rather see the franchises and creative minds of Nintendo continue their work than see it all be buried with their console business.

I remember reading an article saying that if Nintendo did stop making consoles they would withdraw the video game industry entirely. Considering the sorry state that Sega has become who can blame them?

I second that, I believe i read that article about a year ago. That would be a horrible business choice, though, so they would probably stay in.

Also, SEGA is still pretty cool, aside from Sonic. The Sonic series is in a big rut right now by trying to copy Mario, Spyro, etc.