QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This almost certainly isn't the most recent thing I broke, but the last thing I remember breaking was my car's sideview mirror. Cracked and bent it, thought I was farther away from that trash can (or was it a sign? I forget) than I really was x{

last thing I broke was New Vegas on Steam trying to reprogram the code that updates the total weight of carried items

"FalloutNV.exe has stopped responding"

no shit

Question 360. What do you think about modern education?

Another adapted one, from something about test scores.

Edited by Parrhesia

It can certainly stand to be improved. I, personally, don't have any problems coping with it, but a lot of people seem to have different problems in different areas (a lot of which, admittedly, go back to their personal problems and are not necessarily problems with the system). I think modern education can change to become more accommodating with that in mind, but I like what we have so far.

In a rating of best education systems, Iran is certainly not up there. While some systems (like the US and Japanese systems) might seem too intensive, I feel like Iran is the exact opposite in being too lax, so people have to work at it and add that extra bit of effort in order to produce better results.

shit [in many areas] in the united states, but not all. public school years 9-12 are much too monotonous. i actually had less work in my ap classes sometimes compared to my standard ones.

college is too fucking expensive, and too many people are forced to go because there aren't a whole lot of options here. i think making trade schools and alternate paths important again could alleviate some of our issues. not everyone needs to go to college. also, textbook publishers are almost literally stealing money from students, especially in intro classes.

but as for my personal education? american universities are really something. i have lots of issues with universities in general, but goddamn if you're willing to put the work in, and your professor isn't a complete ass, learning is extremely fun, challenging, and worthwhile. if we lower tuition costs and other university fees (eg living there), then i'm most definitely getting the most bang for any buck i'll ever spend. i love my learning environment...in most of my classes.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

I have no idea how such ends could be made possible, but I think it's imperative that talented-but-lazy people have the shit kicked out of them so they actually have a work ethic to stand on, and can cope when their talent can't carry them further.

but as for my personal education? american universities are really something. i have lots of issues with universities in general, but goddamn if you're willing to put the work in, and your professor isn't a complete ass, learning is extremely fun, challenging, and worthwhile. if we lower tuition costs and other university fees (eg living there), then i'm most definitely getting the most bang for any buck i'll ever spend. i love my learning environment...in most of my classes.

this very much.

as for another thing, note that i have no experience with the public schooling system (homeschooled) except from an outside perspective, but i think the straight out of high school and immediately into college mindset is really detrimental to actually nutting up and getting shit done in college. there's so much to learn in any field you can imagine, it's really a shame to be expected to start college already burnt out from high school.

that said the reasons for that tie into way deeper social things than "you're expected to go to college out of high school" (kid's kicked out of the house at 18, lack of viable alternatives, etc) but it's a thing i think.

Well at least sex-ed has become much more informative these days. Now just about all kids will know of "that stuff" adn hopefully be more responsible

I dont mind high school educations. I mean, if you find your school to be too slow or crappy, there are better schools to enrol in (however, the people may be more annoying...)

As for univerrsity, it seems to be ok in australia, but the fees...fuck me, the fees are gonna kill me when i start due to bloody Tony -_-. i'd hate to be an international student going to uni in australia (double fees)

In some locations college/university can be really cheap (I learned this in spanish class~ probably in locations like central or south america), but in exchange... well I honestly can't remember what happened in exchange, besides maybe how being a college professor will pay much less and... maybe something about less freedom of class choices? Or maybe anything choices! I forget what made them so cheap and I forget what ends up being worse off after becoming so cheap. If you wanted them cheaper you'd probably have to make some sort of compromise between how cheap it is and what kind of quality it will be, for both students and professors. Edited by Freohr Datia

public schools in the southern usa are shitty, private schools in first world countries are too expensive, and homeschooling is great if your parents know how to guide you along in the early parts.

Socialized education would be nice for universities/colleges over the world. Otherwise the public education system for high schools here kinda sucks a lot.

The Finnish education system seems pretty amazing every time I hear about it so if we could move towads that, that would be nice.

it's pretty crazy

Edited by Tryhard

Italy as a whole isn't that great in educating students, however , the educational level in South Tyrol, the region I am living in, belongs to the best ones in the entire Western hemisphere, which I'm pretty proud of. I have complaints too, mostly in regards to staff, but the system works out pretty well.

As for college, yeah sure, it costs a lot, but the diversity in subjects you can take is pretty amazing. The college I want to enter doesn't even cost that much, yet it belongs to the top-ranking ones in its country. Really, there is always a good opportunity for everything

Modern indonesian education is a slightly better(read: not as bad as it once was) version of asking a fish, a bird, a kitten, and a monkey to climb a tree all at once, over and over again.

At least thats how the teachers on my college pictures it, and I couldn't agree more. Most of the time the "dumb" people in school are surprisingly far more clever than other people in the class simply because the way the education is set up does not fit with how they study/what they are good at/etc

From what i heard, they tried to move up the age standard for the children education as well. I heard a kindergarden has already learned multiplications these days. Back in my time we only learned Substraction and Addition(is this the correct term?). After knowing the reason behind this, I can't believe how dumb this is. The less said about how obsessed Indonesian parents are with English and outside of school lessons(private teachers, etc), the better. They are not even an effective method for fucks sake

Colleges are pretty fine for the most part IMO. Tons of materials to choose, and explained in a fairly understandable manner. The time managements could be a bit better, but its fine

Edited by Anti-Fun

Public middle and high schools here are incredibbly shitty, their quality being by far one of the biggest problems of a country full of problems. Public universities are good enough and free, though, so i can't complain about that and i'm happy enough with the one i study in. Particular middle and high school can be good or can be bad, though generally better than the public ones and i can say the one i studied in during high school was pretty good.

It's a mixed bag, really. I'd say it mostly works for people who had opportunities in their life and don't for people who didn't.

Edited by NOBODY

It's outdated in most systems I have knowledge of. The current model of education and intelligence was built for the industrial revolution and it never got out of that factory-line mentality. There are myriad smaller problems within the factory-like system, too, such as the way outlying students are treated (like defective machinery or products) and the way grades work. Consistently pumping information into the students for a test and then dumping it without giving it further relevance to the student's life. No attempts are made to improve long term memory. Grouping students by age instead of ability. It's a mockery of real intellectual stimulation and growth.

All of that completely ignoring the sociology of schools and the effects those kinds of environments have on childrens' ideas of society.

Edited by Makaze

In some locations college/university can be really cheap (I learned this in spanish class~ probably in locations like central or south america), but in exchange... well I honestly can't remember what happened in exchange, besides maybe how being a college professor will pay much less and... maybe something about less freedom of class choices? Or maybe anything choices! I forget what made them so cheap and I forget what ends up being worse off after becoming so cheap. If you wanted them cheaper you'd probably have to make some sort of compromise between how cheap it is and what kind of quality it will be, for both students and professors.

there are some very, very good public universities (i.e. free of charge) in south america such as the UBA, but professors tend to be underpaid and thus go on strike often and the buildings are undermantained. the education level is very high, though.