An idea I had for adding light magic (along with bishops) in the game.

Knight

I was thinking quite a bit one day as to how light magic could have been implemented, then it hit me, the same way Path of Radiance did. The Bishop, like in any other game, would be a big resistance tank with all-around other stats, except they'd have no ability to use tomes. Instead, at level five, they'd get Lumina, allowing staff-users to use light magic. This means any staff-using class can use light magic, allowing for more versatility, however light is as weak as wind with no positive side. Again, however, at level 15, bishops get the Slayer skill, which would allow light magic to do triple might against all Risen. So any staff user can do effective damage against common foes at the cost of two skill slots. Any thoughts on my idea? Is the light magic I described too weak or overpowered?

Any weapon that requires a specific skill just to use is destined for being permanently underpowered. Aside from that...

Maingame, Slayer will either come too late to be of much use or on a character who's strong enough to plow through Risen anyway. Postgame (Apo), there are no Risen. There's already a Blessed Bow free for the taking in Par.3 if you do need a Risen killer that also helps with tanking in Lunatic+ due to restoring HP. Also, the other two mt-tripling skills in the game (Beastbane and Wyrmsbane) aren't exactly often-used, despite the fact that Valm is packed with Cavalry.

Ignoring the Risen effective bonus, it's basically Shadowgift with (possibly) better distribution and no Sorc alternative. So... I'd say it needs a niche.

To be fair, it's not like the rest of the game is balanced that much better.