Remakes?

Ninian

So, looking at the projects I've seen, I've noticed a few remakes of old games. *cough cough FE6 cough cough* But what I've noticed is that there's nothing for Gaiden, Genealogy of the Holy War Gen 1, or Thracia 776. The one I have the most grievances about is Thracia, because Fire Emblem Forever is REALLY good. Is there anything planned for any of these?

There was a project in the works for an FE4 remake but it got cancelled mostly due to the fact that it wasn't feasible (hacking too hard)

Someone tried to make a Gaiden remake, I don't know where the thread went

I think Arch is planning on remaking FE5 with XNA now, but who knows where that's going to go.

There was a project in the works for an FE4 remake but it got cancelled mostly due to the fact that it wasn't feasible (hacking too hard)Someone tried to make a Gaiden remake, I don't know where the thread wentI think Arch is planning on remaking FE5 with XNA now, but who knows where that's going to go.

I think I found the Gaiden thread. I might be able to go dig up another one if this isn't what you're looking for.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=40343&hl=%2Bgaiden+%2Bremake

Thracia 776 remade with path or radiance style menu features... that would be great - even having just leaf escape and keeping all the characters but not bonus exp really would make the game more accessible.

Also many mid-chapter or preparation menu conversions would be amazing. And equal character developement to everyone.

Also a plot that focuses on Leaf and than gives the opportunity to play from Chapter 7 and on of FE4 at dedicated missions where Leaf is the leader.

Also less fuck you player situations would benefit the game.

Edited by edza90

Thracia thrives on that whole adapting to unexpected situations thing, and makes it feel more desperate and real. Not all armies are going to be prepared for literally every situation.

Arch is working on a Thracia remake.

As far as Thracia itself goes, the game (particularly the opening 8 or so chapters) is/are mechanically structured to emphasize how desperate the situation is, and how much of an underdog Leif is - You are outmanned and outgunned. You are a ragtag resistance fighting a superior force and your chances of victory are slim. The game does a fantastic job of building atmosphere to this effect, IMO, and has arguably one of the most well crafted opening arcs of any Fire Emblem game. There are of course, a few minor mechanical tweaks that would eliminate a bit of more obnoxious elements - Heal Staves really shouldnt miss, dismounted units SHOULD be able to use their primary weapon type (Why can't I swing an axe on foot), status staves should be durational, and fatigue could stand a tiny bit of tweaking. But otherwise it's not nearly as bad as people have been led to believe , unless you've gotten truly used to being mollycoddled by Awakening.

The script itself could use a cleanup, in both languages. At times it's a little light on inter character relations, (the lack of supports, obviously, is a factor), and some individuals are less fleshed out than others. This is further exacerbated by the extreme spottiness of the English translation, which at times COMPLETELY OMITS lines of dialogues, phrases them awkwardly, or misses the intent of the speaker.

But Jedi nailed it - Thracia is all about how you can handle the unexpected and overwhelming.

At least staves couldn't effect Leif but them being permanent was a bit insane. Also I agree with the dismount thing to a degree, I feel the sword only (or Bow again in Selfinas case) was a good power limiter considering mounts are usually also fairly strong

Edited by Jedisupersorry

Some spriters were working on a Gaiden GBA hack probably about eight years ago, but naturally, all lost interest.

Chinese fans have recreated Gaiden in SRPG Maker 95. It's not the most beautiful thing, but it is interesting at least, and the ability to insta-critical if you time your click right with the attack animation is novel I guess. VincentASM had translated and made available some of the game's text in English.

Ah. Well, that's settled.

Though I still really think we should send a petition to Nintendo asking for the three on eShop...though with my luck they'd be on Wii U.

I guarantee you translating Gaiden, Genealogy and Thracia for the eShop would be an incredible waste of Nintendo's efforts, unfortunately. There's next to no return on investment to that.

So true. I guess their marketing division IS pretty smart. But if Fire Emblem popularity gets higher and higher, then there's a chance...

The Wii U begs to differ.

But yeah, there's not really a snowball's chance in hell of them being officially localized and released international on the Virtual Console. If any game gets remade/released at this point, smart money says it's FE6.

That's a good point. (Though it need's Gringe's patches BADLY and your early promotion for Roy) Say, why didn't Shin Monsho no Nazo come to America?

My only guess is because Shadow Dragon is kind of a flop.

My only guess is because Shadow Dragon is kind of a flop.

Yes and no; the larger reason was probably because, so late in the console's life cycle, it would have been more risky to invest money into its localization. This doesn't just mean employing translators and localizers, but also marketing, manufacturing, transportation of sold copies, registration of trademarks and others intellectual property, and many other things.

It was more just a very unsound investment to jump on at that time. We do have some interesting hope, however: last December, the latest Advance Wars title on the DS was made available as the first Virtual Console DS game for Japanese Club Nintendo members. This game never officially saw release before this point, but it did have a fully-translated script left within the game files.

New Mystery of the Emblem did not have this luxury, but the above does set precedent if Nintendo of Europe or Nintendo of America would be interested in making the game available without necessarily adding in all the baggage of a physical release.