[FE4] growths of parents of PCs(Vylon, Ring, ect.)

sirmola

It recently occurred to me that if we take the formulas to calculate the growths of the children in FE4 and run them in reverse, we can calculate the growths of the parents of the generation 1 player characters and substitutes. To recap, we know the father's growth in a stat plus half the mother's growth equals the brother's growth and that the mother's growth in a stat plus half the father's growth equals the sister's growth. However, if we plug in the brother and sister's growths, we have a system of linear equations in 2 equations and 2 variables, which we can solve for the mother and father's growths. Repeating this once for each stat allows us to calculate the growths of vylon, ring, their wives, and all parents of the substitutes. Note that this rests on the assumption that the formulas given above are followed when the parents are not player characters. Ring's stats also follow the assumption that the formulas mentioned above work for identical twins. Other wise, we would need andre's growths in order to calculate them, which is obviously impossible as he is not a player character. Note that all growths in the following table(note: table is in ziped excel document becaues i could not get it to display properly). holy blood bonuses are not included. Major holy blood is in capitals.

I could calculate more, but this suffices to show that intsys did not think about this when implementing this mechanic. Note especially roddlevan's father's negative RES growth. This actually happens whenever one kid's growth is less then half of the other's(for example laylea's and sharlow's MAG growths).

In summery, the growth system in FE4 is like the continents at the edge of the awakening map. Intriguing, but nonsensical if you look closely.

Parrentgrowths.zip

I imagine any game with this kind of mechanic doesn't work if you think about it on the long term. Awakening would eventually end up with ridiculous caps, for instance. (and the parents should technically already have insane caps, as they're not the first generation of humans or anything)

I imagine any game with this kind of mechanic doesn't work if you think about it on the long term. Awakening would eventually end up with ridiculous caps, for instance. (and the parents should technically already have insane caps, as they're not the first generation of humans or anything)

There's also the issue of passing down holy blood given that FE4 game mechanics limit child characters to two types of holy blood and yet potential Gen3 kids ought to have three or more kinds of holy blood. Seliph/Lana and Leif/Nanna would produce Baldur/Naga/Ulir and Nova/Baldur/Hezul respectively and then by Gen 4 it'd be even more insane. Or, going in the other direction, you have to assume that NONE of the Gen1 characters had ancestors from other noble/royal houses because hey, they have one type of holy blood apiece. So yeah, it breaks down pretty quickly.

You are correct of course, but i wanted an excuse to do some math and practice excel. Then i figured that i would share my findings. (also, it is implied that extra holy blood wears off and disapeares after 1-2 generations)