Sword of Seals VS Binding Blade

VincentASM

123 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Sword of Seals
    • Binding Blade
    • (No Opinion)

The in-game item you obtain is the Sword of Seals, not the Binding Blade.

It's the Sword of Seals, the Binding Blade. There's a name and there's a title. Learn the difference. (Durandal is called the Blazing Sword, by the way. There's your precedent.)

What's shocking is nearly half the community wants to call it a name that it was only officialized once in SSBM, and considering that SF is just fine with abandoning OTHER localized terms from that game, I have to question why they'd suddenly decide to stick with SoS all of a sudden.

Edited by Klok

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Binding Blade, because I think that actually fits into the game's text limit unlike "Sword of Seals".

actually, about that...

• for the logo, both would've fit after my fiddling around to expand the usable room in the subtitle box (or, for that matter, had we stuck with the old patch's amusing approach)
  • for the weapon name in gameplay, technically neither of them fit - the old patch had to abbreviate it to "Sealed Sword" (and even then that was too long!), and the new one has to abbreviate it as "Binding Bld"

What's shocking is nearly half the community wants to call it a name that it was only officialized once in SSBM, and considering that SF is just fine with abandoning OTHER localized terms from that game, I have to question why they'd suddenly decide to stick with SoS all of a sudden.

Not everyone refers to the newly translated names.

There's even some in FE11 I'D like to ignore such as the horrible Jeorge. Go English with George or go Spanish with Jorge but not both.

Binding Blade for sure, Nintendo has consistently called it such in the likes of Brawl and Awakening. While we are familiar with Sword of Seals. I feel Binding Blade reflects it overall better.

I'll be okay with Binding Blade as soon as all instances of Rutger are changed to Rutoga.

A name that Nintendo has used exactly once for probably the most minor instance possible = a name that they have consistently used every time (out of several) they've referenced the game barring one instance that may or may not even reflect the title as opposed to just the sword.

Got it.

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Rutger

I trust FEWiki on these matters.

Rutger (ルトガー Rutogā, translated as Rutoga in Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
Fire Emblem: Binding Blade (ファイアーエムブレム 封印の剣, Fire Emblem: Fūin no Tsurugi, lit: Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals translated Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade in the official website for Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken and Super Smash Bros. Brawl)

According to FEWiki, it's Rutger and Binding Blade. Kthx.

Also, Binding Blade is never in doubt. Even in SSBM it's translated Binding Blade, not Sword of Seals. SoS is the literal, but not official, translation.

In Super Smash Bros Brawl, the stickers of Roy, Lilina, Rutger (as Rutoga), and Dieck (as Deke) state that they are from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade. This is the official Nintendo translation of the game's title, as Fire Emblem: Awakening's DLC also uses this, establishing that it is used consistently.
Edited by Klok

Everyone in this topic is completely wrong.

The most accurate translation is Fire Emblem: Sword of Binding Vergil.

This is correct, absolutely, 100%.

Side note - Rutoga is also horrifyingly bad, as it is just the third katakana that make up his name with no attention paid to the actual aural characteristics (in Japanese) of what's being said.

Edited by Siuloir

As someone who is very much used to Sword of Seals...

Binding Blade. It's the localization used in Brawl and it was then canonicalized in Awakening.

Sorry but that puts the nails right in the coffin.

I trust FEWiki on these matters.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Klok... seriously. Do some research as well rather than just trusting a wiki outright.

The FEWiki isn't the most reliable source when it comes to Japanese content.

封印の剣 can be taken different ways.

"Sword of Seals" which can also be taking the "Sealing Sword".

The fact that itself can seal away the Demon Dragon's power.

The same can be taken as the "Sealed Sword", which can be referring to the sword being sealed away to prevent misuse.

"Binding Blade" is simply a better sounding synonym to the name we're already used to.

Also, Binding Blade is never in doubt. Even in SSBM it's translated Binding Blade, not Sword of Seals. SoS is the literal, but not official, translation.

pUx7pft.png

kHpWa6q.png

Care to say that again, Klok?

No seriously, Klok... I love you man... but you need to do your research before saying things.

Edited by shadowofchaos

It seems the only mention of Rutger in an officially localised game is as Rutoga in SSBB. So if you call the game Binding Blade on the basis of it being the most official translation, then you should also call him Rutoga.

That said, there's no reason why you can't use Binding Blade/Rutger on the basis you like those names. Just don't be an elitist prick to those who prefer Sword of Seals.

Now, back to the topic at hand. Can we consider Arch's suggestion?

Actually, it's the "Sealed Sword".

Why don't we call it that, then?

\

That's just another synonymous translation of 封印の剣, as Shadowofchaos pointed out. Binding Blade = Sealed Sword = Sword of Seals in this case, linguistically.

I would bet that that name is merely the result of not having enough space to put in all the letters.

Either way that name has never been official unlike Sword of Seals.

Edited by BrightBow

the funny thing is, while it's pretty clear that's the only reason they originally went with "sealed sword" (in gameplay at least; the main script still used "sword of seals"), it still didn't really fit and overlapped with the weapon icon

that they went with something separate that itself still didn't fit, instead of just abbreviating "sword", kinda speaks volumes about the old translation's quality ethos, really

Y'know, I actually kind of like Rutoga.

On the face of it, it looks stupid compared to the awesome-looking/sounding Rutger, but thing is Rutger/Rutoga is a Bern/Sacae hybrid and it's not unusual for them to have weird looking names (Shin, Dayan, etc. not sure about Sue and Lyn though).

Kind of like the Chon'sin naming conventions in Awakening.

Now I have my doubts that the reason NOA went for Rutoga was because of that reason, but that could be a reason for us to use it.

On the face of it, it looks stupid compared to the awesome-looking/sounding Rutger, but thing is Rutger/Rutoga is a Bern/Sacae hybrid and it's not unusual for them to have weird looking names (Shin, Dayan, etc. not sure about Sue and Lyn though).

Now I have my doubts that the reason NOA went for Rutoga was because of that reason, but that could be a reason for us to use it.

Ugh, please no.

Aloud, it is ROO-TOH-GAH, and if you're pronouncing your Japanese correctly, you're sort of sliding through the second syllable, creating a sound more like ROOT-GAH, which is pretty on target for 'Rutger'. Rutoga is terrifyingly awkward. We might as well call Eliwood 'Eriuddo' at that point.

Furthermore, none of the Sacaeans save Uhai and Dayan have names that sound remotely like the source material of their people (Who are unmista Saka/Scythian/Eurasian nomadic tribe), so there isn't much, if any precedent or consistency. 'Guy' is lumped in with 'Sue' and 'Dayan. Elibe in general has no real established naming conventions - Lycia is ostensibly Greek, but contains a similar hodgepodge of name originas and is visually European.

Please, don't encourage poor literal translation. They went for Rutoga because whoever did it was lazy and/or new and/or bad at their job.

It'll always be Sword of Seals in my mind, and I'd rather not confuse people I talk to who aren't familiar with it by that name.

Plus it sounds a bit better to have Blazing Sword and Sword of Seals. Binding Blade and Blazing Blade just doesn't have the same ring to it (not that there's any discussion to rename Blazing Sword).

put your fansite where your mouth is, then we'll talk :P

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Klok... seriously. Do some research as well rather than just trusting a wiki outright.

The FEWiki isn't the most reliable source when it comes to Japanese content.

封印の剣 can be taken different ways.

"Sword of Seals" which can also be taking the "Sealing Sword".

The fact that itself can seal away the Demon Dragon's power.

The same can be taken as the "Sealed Sword", which can be referring to the sword being sealed away to prevent misuse.

"Binding Blade" is simply a better sounding synonym to the name we're already used to.

pUx7pft.png

kHpWa6q.png

Care to say that again, Klok?

No seriously, Klok... I love you man... but you need to do your research before saying things.

Congratulations for aiming at something I wasn't even talking about. The sword is titled Sword of Seals. The game is titled Binding Blade. You didn't refute my point, you just magnified it. And even did so with a loud condescending weeb laugh.

:B

put your fansite where your mouth is, then we'll talk :P

Hey, I said I "kind of like it".

Besides, I don't *always* do what I want on my site. Sometimes I do, but if I always did what I want, this topic wouldn't even be here : P

Congratulations for aiming at something I wasn't even talking about. The sword is titled Sword of Seals. The game is titled Binding Blade. You didn't refute my point, you just magnified it. And even did so with a loud condescending weeb laugh.

:B

Klok, the game is named after the item. Suggesting they are two seperate things is also another thing I can fill the page with "HA" when they have the same Kanji.

Game title: ファイアーエムブレム: 封印の剣

Item name: 封印の剣

Please. Suggest they have two different English equivalents when referring to them in the context of the game. Please.

Do your research. The game was never reffered to as "Binding Blade" in Melee. Just "Fire Emblem Japan Only".

BRAWL was the first to refer to it as Binding Blade.

Again, do your research.

Edit: Before you throw the "Durandal" and "Blazing Sword" at me. They're different.

Title: ファイアーエムブレム: 烈火の剣

Sword: デュランダル

Edited by shadowofchaos