1. 1. Which one?

• Sword of Seals
    • Binding Blade
    • (No Opinion)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's arguable if the Awakening names for unlocalized things are really official. The localization team probably didn't put in as much effort since they're just cameos, and if FE6 were ever remade and localized, it's possible that they'd choose a different title.

I'd rather just stick with the current convention where we refer to Awakening's names when talking about Awakening (i.e. Seliph, Leif, Binding Blade, and FE7 being Fire Emblem), and the old names when talking about FE1-6, 12, and 7's subtitle (i.e. Celice, Leaf, Sword of Seals, and Blazing Sword).

While I do accept the notion that the localization team wasn't "super focused"... Goodness "Ced"... they've been consistent with "Binding Blade".

And that's the most likely candidate.

It's arguable if the Awakening names for unlocalized things are really official. The localization team probably didn't put in as much effort since they're just cameos, and if FE6 were ever remade and localized, it's possible that they'd choose a different title.

I'd rather just stick with the current convention where we refer to Awakening's names when talking about Awakening (i.e. Seliph, Leif, Binding Blade, and FE7 being Fire Emblem), and the old names when talking about FE1-6, 12, and 7's subtitle (i.e. Celice, Leaf, Sword of Seals, and Blazing Sword).

That's a tremendous amount of conjecture. Level of effort put in does not diminish the fact that it is the recognized official translation. They've also used Binding Blade repeatedly.

That is the most confusing way possible. You are endorsing having two names for everything, and using them in different circumstances.

So basically lets keep calling them what we though they should be called, instead of, you know, what they are officially and will most likely keep being called. That sounds logical...

Honestly if any of those games ever get localized, there is big change the Awekening names stay. Hell of a lot bigger change than some fan translation....

acting like they should be dismissed because there's a chance they could be changed in future installments all the time is kinda hilarious because that already happens all the time between games that got full localised releases and nobody bats an eyelid

like i don't see anybody asserting that "Deghinsea" is a 100000% WRONG AND INVALID name or that FE9 is TOTALLY NOT CANON just because FE10 (the NA release, anyway) slipped up and called him "Dheginsea" instead

bear in mind that in comparison, Celica has been consistently called "Celica" in English material for over a decade now, the much-griped-about FE13 legacy character set included (okay granted that DLC promo video fucked it up but still)

Edited by bookofholsety

From your post, it sounds like there's something we all know that you don't: Binding Blade is used in Awakening.

Oh it was? Sorry, if it was mentioned in the side stuff like with the extra characters from the past games or in the extra chapters, I never had the opportunities to do those.

Oh it was? Sorry, if it was mentioned in the side stuff like with the extra characters from the past games or in the extra chapters, I never had the opportunities to do those.

The streetpass teams of the legacy characters were grouped under their respective game names, Including one "Binding Blade" and 0 Sword of Seals

Thanks for all the votes and comments ^^

I'm both surprised and unsurprised about how the results turned out. For one, I had a sneaky suspicion Binding Blade was going to have the most votes, but at the same time I wasn't sure how close the votes would be.

In any case, although Binding Blade hasn't won by a vast majority, in light of all the arguments provided, I will go ahead and change all instances of Sword of Seals (where applicable) to Binding Blade.

While I'm partial to Sword of Seals, alas, that's progress for you : P

What's disappointing to me is that I have to now edit 367 files.

Before someone goes "lol find and replace"... what about when I need to refer to the sword? You will find "the The Binding Blade at the end of Chapter 21" >___<

EDIT

Oh wait, let me try something...

Edited by VincentASM

What's disappointing to me is that I have to now edit 367 files.

Before someone goes "lol find and replace"... what about when I need to refer to the sword? You will find "the The Binding Blade at the end of Chapter 21" >___<

EDIT

Oh wait, let me try something...

Maybe you've got it figured out already, but unless you're keeping references to the sword itself as "Sword of Seals" (don't know why you would), just don't add "the" when you're replacing. It's not like the "the" is in a different spot for either name. Right?