The Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker

Oh, did I mention The Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker?

Whoa, I thought I was the only one that hated this game!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Xenoblade. I don't hate it immensely, but I don't particularly like it either.

Final Fantasy 8 deserves all my hatred, though. Though I don't know if "most people like it".

Edited by Tryhard

The Mass Effect series. . .the controls completely killed anything else the game had to offer. For this board. . .FE4. Still trying to find the motivation to play through it.

Final Fantasy 7. Oh, the unbridled hate that I possess for this game.

-Generic emo protagonist with an unoriginal design (seriously, Arcsys alone did the whole "spiky haired protag with a big sword" thing better TWICE) and nearly non-existent character development.

-The fact that said protagonist is in the position that he is despite many better characters (Barrett and Yuffie chief among them) surrounding him.

-Uninspired gameplay. I get that it's FF, but the Materia system was not enough to make this game's gameplay stand out.

-Generic villains. While I admit Sephiroth is a decent character in his own right when you get down to the reasons why he is how he is, his motivations are still generic, and his actions aren't really that unique amongst villains in FF, especially when he came right after Kefka of all villains.

-The sheer milking the game got from Square/Squaresoft/Square Enix. While I admit this can kind of serve as a moot point because Atlus did the same thing with Persona 4 (probably my all-time favourite game tbqh), it didn't deserve the expanded media that it got.

->Related point: Dirge of Cerberus blew eight different kinds of ass. Shame, too, since Vincent was a pretty legit character in the original game.

-The fanbase that sucks its dick and lauds everything before and after as inferior. While in some cases it's justified (hello, FF13), it isn't in many others (FF8 chief among them; I feel like a lot of the hate that it gets is due to the fact that it was right after FF7).

In conclusion, FF7 can suck a bag of dicks.

On another note, I despised Scaler despite the love it got from critics.

Because the music is amazing This game has the best music out of all the generations.

3rd gen music makes my ears bleed. In fact, it's one of my main motives to despise those games.

What they did with FRLG's soundtrack was unforgivable.

Final Fantasy 7. Oh, the unbridled hate that I possess for this game.

-Generic emo protagonist

I'd like to comment just one thing about this

The fact Cloud is actually completely delusional already makes him pretty non-generic in my book

Edited by TheEnd

Whoa, I thought I was the only one that hated this game!

There are a lot of those who dislike TWW, unfortunately. :P

I should probably explain my dislike for OoT, though. I find the game really bland, for some reason. The beginning of TWW was fun since it started off nice and easy before BOOM, Aryll gets kidnapped and we have to save her. Sure, Forsaken Fortress gets a bit tedious after 10 or 20 times, but once you get the sail, the real fun of the game begins. The beginning of MM was fun, too, since starting off as a Deku Scrub and trying to find something to do for three days in game time was an interesting mechanic, and there were already quite a few things to go. But OoT...finding money for a sword and a shield then going through such a bland dungeon wasn't my cup of tea. I guess I'm weird for that.

Then Dodongo's Cavern happened, and I just...stopped. I already know everything about the game from LPs and speed runs, but I just can't see myself continuing it.

The Persona series, every time my weeaboo friends chain me to the ground and force me to watch any given scene from any of them, I die a little bit more on the inside.

At least Atlus knows how to cater to the weeaboos, but at the same time, I can't take anything I see from it seriously, because it just gets more and more weeaboo every time the series is forced on me.

Oh, really? I usually see people fanboying over TWW.

I loved OoT though. I don't love it as much as I used to, but I still love it. MM, not so much. I didn't like the three day system, I didn't like the story, the final boss is LAME, the dungeons are lame (except for the amazing Stone Tower Temple), I didn't like the sidequests (especially the Kafei/Anju one, because I hate Anju and Kafei is an idiot for choosing her over poor, hard-working and lonely Cremia, imo), I didn't like the areas to explore (except the amazing Ikana Canyon), etc. I also don't think there were enough dungeons and main story compared to the amount of sidequests. I play a game for the story, characters, and gameplay, and this game felt like it was more side content than main story content. The music is alright though, and the amount of character development is astounding. But that's all I really found appealing.

Edited by Anacybele

Here we go...:

After playing FF:A for the millionth time, I looked back on the story, and it's pretty bad. I'd prefer Thracia 776 or MoTE way more than Awakening. I could say more about Awakening but I don't want to see dem lovers crai5ever

FF7 is just a, "meh" in my books.

I hate CoD and BF.

I can't stand FF4 at all.

I think the new LoZ game for the 3DS is overrated.

I heard the Assassin's Creed games were great, but I just can't get into them.

I have the same problem with Kingdom Hearts, in which I can't really get into it.

Terraria is okay, but way overrated. I remember when they has this stupid dispute about, "How Terraria was better then Minecraft" or, "Minecraft is better than Terraria."

And that's about it. I really don't know what others games I hate...

Oh, really? I usually see people fanboying over TWW.

I loved OoT though. I don't love it as much as I used to, but I still love it. MM, not so much. I didn't like the three day system, I didn't like the story, the final boss is LAME, the dungeons are lame (except for the amazing Stone Tower Temple), I didn't like the sidequests (especially the Kafei/Anju one, because I hate Anju and Kafei is an idiot for choosing her over poor, hard-working and lonely Cremia, imo), I didn't like the areas to explore (except the amazing Ikana Canyon), etc. I also don't think there were enough dungeons and main story compared to the amount of sidequests. I play a game for the story, characters, and gameplay, and this game felt like it was more side content than main story content. The music is alright though, and the amount of character development is astounding. But that's all I really found appealing.

TWW is my favorite game of all time, haha. I can see why others might not like it, though.

The three day system can be stressful. Especially if you're like me and worry about completing everything ASAP. >_>

3rd gen music makes my ears bleed. In fact, it's one of my main motives to despise those games.

What they did with FRLG's soundtrack was unforgivable.

The sad thing is that the GBA is very, very capable of pretty damn good sound.

Hey, Golden Sun (and 2) is probably the most beautiful GBA game.

That's a little unfair, you know. Like comparing SNES games with... FFVI or ToP, I guess.

As was the Mega Drive/Genesis

But in GBA's case, I suppose not many people cared about making things sound good

I don't think he cares.

Oh you

Depends on the person. I personally loved the GBA's music.

Might be because I grew up with Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, the GBA port of Donkey Kong Country, Pokemon Emerald, and more.

This may sound odd, I don't think Pokemon X and Y is that great. I mean, I love the new Pokemon they added, I love mega-evolutions, I love fairy type, I love the online and connectivity features, super training, wonder trading (love wonder trading), but as a single-player game, it seems kind of small. It seems like a much more multiplayer focused game rather than single-player focused, as there is minimal post-game, no new areas to explore after completion besides Kiloude city and everything in the game seemed like it was encouraging me to trade or battle with other players, as if the game itself was only a prelude to that. The single-player is still entertaining, but it could be better. It's not like I dislike Pokemon multiplayer, and if judged simply on that aspect, X and Y are the best in the series, but the sinlg-player is lacking. The plot didn't seem like there was as much effort as there was in gen V, gen IV or even gen III.

You know what? I really love X and Y myself but this absolutely sums up my feelings for it.

A lot of my nitpicking is about the plot and its pacing, but the pacing of the gyms is a bit awkward as well, especially the length between the 1st-2nd gyms and every other gym in the game. It feels like the game will have that kind of pacing throughout and yet... it doesn't.

And while I actually really love the idea of having multiple rivals, the game feels extremely empty because you almost never seen anyone who isn't named Calem/Serena. And Tierno least of all (I love Tierno, personally).

But probably the largest disappointment is the Elite 4, who have the exact same strength levels as when you first fight them. That's... disconcerting, to say the least.

But really don't get me started on the plot.

As for other games I don't care for...

Pretty much all platformers.

It's probably no secret at this point, but I have terrible reaction times and even worse coordination. And with platformers, where both are kind of required, I constantly fail at them - and it's made me a bit resentful that I can't actually enjoy the games.

And before you ask, it took me 65 lives to get through World 1 and half of 2 in New Super Mario Bros. U. 65.

Final Fantasy VIII.

I would have added Final Fantasy VII, but most of my problems with VII are meta problems, so I won't.

VIII on the other hand... oh boy. I can summarize most of the game's problems with two words: Squall and Rinoa.

(There's also the gameplay issues and the fact that I can count the cast that doesn't annoy me on one hand but really... the game's main characters are grating to deal with.)

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

Unpopular opinion ahoy!

One of the major problems I have with the game is the fact that it was advertised as being a game "about the Organization". Instead we get "these three members of the Organization and occasionally the rest of them". It probably didn't help that a lot of my favorite Organization members ended up dying off within the first part of the game, and the three the game revolves around are my least favorites, but if I start that rant I may never stop....

And the Panel System. Good... god, the Panel System. Lovely in theory, not in practice.

The mission system also wasn't... bad, but some of the missions (like the Emblem ones) were annoying as all HELL. Especially most of the boss missions (I only enjoyed one boss) and the boss RUSH mission. That was painful.

To be honest the only game that really fits this description for me is Fire Emblem Gaiden.

I don't think it would really be a game most people like (though I do), or even know about.

Call of Duty and most FPS. (Minus Sci-fi ones like Halo or Metroid, well it's more a FPA for the latter)

And not a big fan of 3D platformers.

But I ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤ the Legend of Zelda serie. (Maroja's Mask being my favorite, Ocarina of Time is close second, ALTTP is third and TWW fourth)

Edited by Naughx

Pretty much all platformers.

It's probably no secret at this point, but I have terrible reaction times and even worse coordination. And with platformers, where both are kind of required, I constantly fail at them - and it's made me a bit resentful that I can't actually enjoy the games.

And before you ask, it took me 65 lives to get through World 1 and half of 2 in New Super Mario Bros. U. 65.

Yes, I can relate to that. I had to use AR to beat Kirby Dream's Land...

That's also why I generally hate mini-games in my RPG.

I started playing RPG because I have awfull reaction, and hate being stressed. Don't add all those stupid things.

FFVI didn't needs all that aftert all.

I haven't started FFVIII yet (just up to the first savepoint), but I don't think it'll be my favorite (They interverted the O and triangle button. Do you know how confusing this is ? And apparently it's easier to get EXP in a game that penalizes gaining EXP). I falled in love with FFIX almost immediately. Well, I'll see how much I like it where everything is over. (I first have to end FFX-2, though...)

I think it is one of the game that has the most extreme reaction in one sense or another.

The thing with the PlayStation Era FF is that... they graphically haven't really aged well (I always compare FFVI to FFVII graphism. FFVI still looks pretty great even now, while FFVII and FFVIII looks pretty poor), and the translation was... not that good (at least in French). FFVII has part that stayed in english, not sure about FFVIII yet (except the fact they let the Game Intro in English), and FFIX has... really interresting choice (Younolas/Eunoras and Bloumecia/Burmecia, plus the attack names that seems out of a Pokemon game). FFX is good, outside its really heavy use of the F-World (or its French equvalent).

Here's my two pennies worth:

Kingdom Hearts series in general - to be fair, I really like their OSTs, the vast majority of the whole lot. But still it felt a bit too kiddish to me... had I played the series when I was back in primary school like I did with Pokemon, I might have fell in love with KH, who knows. Besides, I nowadays play the occasional 1st and 2nd Gen Pokemon out of nostalgia and dem chiptunes (not counting Twitch Plays Pokemon Yellow - HailHelix- and Google Map Pokedex where I caught all 151 Pokemons, something I haven't managed to do on the original games :( )

More controversially, I don't like Zelda games. Don't taze me yet, hear me out. I tried playing ALTTP but that playthrough fizzled after I entered the Dark World. I also tried playing TP and OoT on the 3DS, but I never got even past the first bosses on both games and sold them. Again, kudos to the OSTs and the game design with all the itty bitty cute puzzles. But I am charmed by the Lufia series (not counting the recent DS remake) a lot more than the Zelda series, which incorporated some of the Zelda mechanics and added a turn based combat mechanics amongst other stuff. Lufia is in fact one of my all time favourites.

Hate is too extreme, but I've simply never had the inclination to do anything concerning Zelda or Golden Sun.

lol so many people saying CoD who've probably never played it