Why does everyone hate Tellius now?

Logience

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, screw those people. When I first played PoR and RD, I didn't know they sold badly. But I loved them both and they're still my favorite games.

okay now we're just making things up

if you really think "everyone" hates tellius you should probably get your eyesight checked, and if you really think pointing out its sales bombed is a sign of dislike, well... i've got some bad news for you

Edited by bookofholsety

Honestly the main issue with FERD is the writing, it can be legitimately cringeworthy sometimes, which is weird because PoR's writing is so damn fine

Do you take into account that the script we got in the international version is solely based on the shortened down script of the Japanese version? From what I've seen from the extended script, it seems a lot less awkward.

Aiku-chan, zelgiusu-sama is da buracku naito!!1!!

ORLY? kthxbro ranulf-chan

tellius generally wasn't that popular (which is reflected in the fact that the sales tanked) but i don't really see people around here hating on it

also we'll never know if the extended script would've been better because it's perfectly possible to fuck up the writing in a translation

Edited by CT075

Tellius definitely isn't hated by any means around the fandom

Around the fandom, sure, but we must think outside of the box.

What about people outside the fandom? Why was Fire Emblem as a series largely ignored, why weren't more people getting into Fire Emblem or, in fact, a good amount of the playerbase was bailing out during the Tellius days?

Honestly, in my experience, games that are 'underrated' and 'underappreciated' are so for a reason, usually because of the games themselves.

At least Fire Emblem has a bigger niche than most other niche games.

What about people outside the fandom? Why was Fire Emblem as a series largely ignored, why weren't more people getting into Fire Emblem or, in fact, a good amount of the playerbase was bailing out during the Tellius days?

Honestly, in my experience, games that are 'underrated' and 'underappreciated' are so for a reason, usually because of the games themselves.

And there are many possible reasons otherwise. There's marketing, release dates, the general audience of the console, etc. For the most part you can ask anyone that actually played PoR or RD and they're unlikely to say they just didn't like the games. The evidence is in the current price of these games; if people didn't like them, why are even used copies upwards of $60 no matter where you look? Because not enough were printed and the people who bought the games don't want to get rid of them.

No idea why people like 9 so much and hate 10. I do seem to read a lot more disappointment in 10 than 9 (which is crazy to me) - lots of complaining about the support coversations (give it a rest already) and how the DB are such useless units. I thought 10 was a pretty solid game (great music, new characters, big quest, etc) and never really understood why people seem to be so meh about it.

Fire Emblem always seemed to be a niche title more or less since its release in North America; I think that a lot of the sales figures reflected that but then again that doesn't really explain why the latest game did so well. Also I remember a lot of reviews at the time being pretty mixed, with places like Gamespot bashing FE10 for its difficulty (which isn't really even true - it's not that hard), and a few other places giving it lower reviews as well.

My theory for the high prices is that it's a collector's item at this point...I figure most of the players who wanted to buy a copy could have long before the $60 price tag. Wasn't too hard to come by a reasonably priced copy on Amazon or something during the Wii's lifecycle. I can't believe a hardcore fan would've waited so long to pick one up.

No idea why people like 9 so much and hate 10. I do seem to read a lot more disappointment in 10 than 9 (which is crazy to me) - lots of complaining about the support coversations (give it a rest already) and how the DB are such useless units. I thought 10 was a pretty solid game (great music, new characters, big quest, etc) and never really understood why people seem to be so meh about it.

Fire Emblem always seemed to be a niche title more or less since its release in North America; I think that a lot of the sales figures reflected that but then again that doesn't really explain why the latest game did so well. Also I remember a lot of reviews at the time being pretty mixed, with places like Gamespot bashing FE10 for its difficulty (which isn't really even true - it's not that hard), and a few other places giving it lower reviews as well.

My theory for the high prices is that it's a collector's item at this point...I figure most of the players who wanted to buy a copy could have long before the $60 price tag. Wasn't too hard to come by a reasonably priced copy on Amazon or something during the Wii's lifecycle. I can't believe a hardcore fan would've waited so long to pick one up.

Well, part of the reason 10 isn't liked as much is how lack-luster the paired endings were. A lot of people wanted fan favs like Nephenee to at least get a paired ending. Meanwhile Ike ends up with two endings where he just goes on a journey with another guy (not even saying he's gay or something) and a bunch of other romances, some of them far from liked (like Leanne/Naesalsa), got 'resolved' in a paired ending.

Tellius is my favorite fe world other then Elibe so.. lol no hate.

PoR has amazing writing and supports, RD has amazing gameplay (probably the best after Thracia)

Umm, how is RD's gameplay amazing? Or thracia's for that matter?

The more technical strategic aspects. Like the height difference in RD, the capturing/Fatigue/dismounting of Thracia.

Another deal with RD is how even though the supports are butchered the freedom of anyone supporting anyone makes the gameplay deeper

Tellius is not hated, fe9 is one of the most solid titles in the series, and 10 was good in terms of gameplay, though in terms of story, part 1 was a bit boring, and part 4 felt like a cop out to avoid having to figure out how to handle the blood pact, 2 felt like a rushed filler though it could have been interesting, part 3 was great, they had an interesting conflict but then they got rid of the issue in part 4.

I agree that RD dropped the ball on supports, endings, and paired endings, but these are the only things I hate about it. I love its story and gameplay, though part 4 wasn't really as interesting as the others, not even the Dawn Brigade's chapters despite that the Dawn Brigade themselves are boring, imo. But they wouldn't have been boring, I bet, if the supports and such had been better.

About pairings, the main thing I didn't like was how FEW of them were available, not counting Ike being able to journey with either Soren or Ranulf because those aren't even romances. Where are reasonable possibilities like Ike x Elincia, Rolf x Mist, Geoffrey x Callil (Largo was pretty much tacked on, even in PoR, wtf. He didn't need to exist), Kieran x Marcia, Oscar x Tanith, Rhys x Titania, Boyd x Titania, Gatrie x Astrid, Renning x Lucia, Ranulf x Lethe, Kyza x Lyre, Aran x Laura? Hell, maybe there could've even been pairings that didn't, but could've had interactions, like Boyd x Mia and Geoffrey x Nephenee. I've actually seen a number of fans do these two in fanfics. Hell, I've even seen Boyd x Marcia in a story and it was pretty cute. I also think Edward and Leonardo should've gotten love interests. Fiona could've even been one of them.

As for regular endings, I hated Gatrie's, Ike's, and Mist's in particular. Gatrie never marries? GATRIE of all people? That stinks. I can't see Ike leaving everything behind forever. He called the mercenaries his FAMILY for gods' sake. As for Mist, I can't see her being happily alone with Ike gone and the mercenaries broken up. She'd just be, well, very lonely. She never seemed like the type that enjoyed being alone. These endings all seem out of character to me.

Edited by Anacybele

I agree that RD dropped the ball on supports, endings, and paired endings, but these are the only things I hate about it. I love its story and gameplay, though part 4 wasn't really as interesting as the others, not even the Dawn Brigade's chapters despite that the Dawn Brigade themselves are boring, imo. But they wouldn't have been boring, I bet, if the supports and such had been better.

About pairings, the main thing I didn't like was how FEW of them were available, not counting Ike being able to journey with either Soren or Ranulf because those aren't even romances. Where are reasonable possibilities like Ike x Elincia, Rolf x Mist, Geoffrey x Callil (Largo was pretty much tacked on, even in PoR, wtf. He didn't need to exist), Kieran x Marcia, Oscar x Tanith, Rhys x Titania, Boyd x Titania, Gatrie x Astrid, Renning x Lucia, Ranulf x Lethe, Kyza x Lyre, Aran x Laura? Hell, maybe there could've even been pairings that didn't, but could've had interactions, like Boyd x Mia and Geoffrey x Nephenee. I've actually seen a number of fans do these two in fanfics. Hell, I've even seen Boyd x Marcia in a story and it was pretty cute. I also think Edward and Leonardo should've gotten love interests. Fiona could've even been one of them.

Why overplay the love story aspect so much? One of the larger fallacies of fiction is the obsessive need of individuals to jam romance subplots in where they really add little. IkexElincia is an example of this.

Also, considering Geoffrey's entire character is based around his love and loyalty for Elincia, it seems pretty ridiculous to have him end up with others, by in large to further the desire to create a Disney princess scenario.

Stepping aside from that, pretty much all non mechanical aspects of the Support system in RD were disastrous. I get what they were attempting from a customization standpoint, but torpedoing character development is not the way to go about it.

Edited by Siuloir

There's nothing wrong with a decent-sized selection of paired endings. FE7 has a lot. So does FE8. And nobody ever complained about that.

As for Geoffrey, plenty of people in real life don't end up with the first person they ever loved. And I never felt Elincia actually returned his feelings. I will agree that he did love her though, at least for awhile.

Why overplay the love story aspect so much? One of the larger fallacies of fiction is the obsessive need of individuals to jam romance subplots in where they really add little. IkexElincia is an example of this.

Pairings pairings pairings pairings.

The support system is the root of all of this...

TV Tropes "Die for our Ship" has its own freaking section for FE.

Where are reasonable possibilities like Ike x Elincia, Rolf x Mist, Geoffrey x Callil (Largo was pretty much tacked on, even in PoR, wtf. He didn't need to exist), Kieran x Marcia, Oscar x Tanith, Rhys x Titania, Boyd x Titania, Gatrie x Astrid, Renning x Lucia, Ranulf x Lethe, Kyza x Lyre, Aran x Laura?

Why are you even so obsessed about this?

Because ikexelincia.

Also, considering Geoffrey's entire character is based around his love and loyalty for Elincia, it seems pretty ridiculous to have him end up with others, by in large to further the desire to create a Disney princess scenario.

Stepping aside from that, pretty much all non mechanical aspects of the Support system in RD were disastrous. I get what they were attempting from a customization standpoint, but torpedoing character development is not the way to go about it.

What's good about FE's support system is that you can do such romantic subplots without them actually impacting the main plot anyway. They're completely optional. I fully agree and am sick of seeing romantic subplots jammed into everything and anything these days, but the Tellius games could have had such pairings without actually needing to change the stories as they are, thus hitting two birds with one stone.

What other aspects of the support system were there? The conversations as far as I can tell. Yeah, pretty much everyone agrees those are bad, but you don't need to make it sound like it's more than it actually is.

One thing I really dislike about RD is the fact that you can't just stick with a group of units and use them through the whole game. I dislike having to control different teams

but that's just me =x

to be fair, nowadays people complaining about pairings are almost as annoying as the shippers themselves.

Basically this is what happened

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InternetBackdraft

"Eventually it gets to the point where people are so sick of flame wars about Event X, that this in turn causes flame wars conducted by those who want it to just die."

There's just no need to tell everyone how the paired endings are so annoying when they're completely optional.

Edited by Nobody