Boops on a Canvas

Eliwan

9KuuX4Z.png

Fate/Extra's Tamamo-no-mae.

As a battle frame

I don't know why I did this either.

in case somebody wants the original

I wonder how hard it would be to actually insert, given that it only uses the tiles present on the original battle frame.

No team paletting on it, because color limit and no ideas for what else to put.

Edited by Eliwan

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9KuuX4Z.png

Fate/Extra's Tamamo-no-mae.

As a battle frame

I don't know why I did this either.

in case somebody wants the original

I wonder how hard it would be to actually insert, given that it only uses the tiles present on the original battle frame.

No team paletting on it, because color limit and no ideas for what else to put.

Three really quick things while I'm at lunch at work:

1) "I wonder how hard it would be to actually insert, given that it only uses the tiles present on the original battle frame." - I don't believe that this works the way you think it does...? The frame insertion method requires you to break up your new image into resulting tiles (which are like 8x8 I think) - with the dithering/AA that is in the yellow areas at the bottom, that alone will probably cause a large resulting number of tiles (and, since I'm at work and on a short amount of time, I can't even check if Jubby's expanded way of doing frames only expanded the number of tiles to a higher limit or if it made that irrelivant).

2) Each half (split right down the center) of the battle frame has its own palette (at least, I remember this being the case) - one for each of the four team colors. So, as long as you aren't over the limit for each faction, you can add team colors.

3) The actual battle frame dimensions are 256x160 (an extra 8 px on either side of the viewable window in its neutral position) - this is to account for when the frame bounces around as hits and criticals are made.

1) "I wonder how hard it would be to actually insert, given that it only uses the tiles present on the original battle frame." - I don't believe that this works the way you think it does...? The frame insertion method requires you to break up your new image into resulting tiles (which are like 8x8 I think) - with the dithering/AA that is in the yellow areas at the bottom, that alone will probably cause a large resulting number of tiles (and, since I'm at work and on a short amount of time, I can't even check if Jubby's expanded way of doing frames only expanded the number of tiles to a higher limit or if it made that irrelivant).

Well...

wAFKEpP.png

This is the vanilla FE7 one, which notably does not have either the name-box nor the weapon-box, and these are located at different locations in the ROM, and are actually stored in full. Which are things I'm sure you already know ><

I know, because of these two things, that I'm using the same number of tiles as the vanilla rom does-- though I wouldn't be surprised if they take up more space in memory (despite actually having a fewer number of colored pixels)...which would likely cause it to break things if inserted.

To make sure, I just checked:

wqk6U9k.png

[Pink means only that that area is part of a tile that was changed. Things left from the vanilla sheet are things that I don't actually know where they draw to the screen...]

I dunno about you but that looks like it's using the same number of tiles to me-- this was what made me absolutely positive I didn't go over.

Re Jubby's expansion:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your graphics for tiles 127 and up cause a weird fuckup; they're fine till someone attacks and then it messes up. So you can use 0 to 30, and 84 to 126. That's a lot more than before.

So it means you have 38 more tiles to work with.

2) Each half (split right down the center) of the battle frame has its own palette (at least, I remember this being the case) - one for each of the four team colors. So, as long as you aren't over the limit for each faction, you can add team colors.

It is, but the actual graphic already uses 15 colors and I would need to reduce that to 13 in order to be able to show significant team differences since I don't want to do I was originally thinking (having the tail be team-paletted); so I just left it as it turned out.

3) The actual battle frame dimensions are 256x160 (an extra 8 px on either side of the viewable window in its neutral position) - this is to account for when the frame bounces around as hits and criticals are made.

Are they? Huh.

The original graphics only seem to have it for the player side...

Edited by Eliwan

Which?

The answer is probably 'yes if attributed'.

Things that are not so:

1. Anything in the first post

2. Anything Lydiiav in the second post (though why you would want a very awkward stance shaman-like character is beyond me)

3. The weapon icons in the last post of page 1

4. Second post on the 3rd page: The bottom 3 rows of weapon icons except for the two on the far right and the FE13 Sol Katti edit. (because I obviously can't claim those 3 as those are just GBA ports of FE13 icons)

5. The mugshots.

• 1 month later...

UomuzHH.png«Free»

I dunno, it's a splice (I wanted to try things out, some didn't work, this is what worked acceptably in my mind)

I can't, for the life of me, get the locks to overlap the way my brain thinks they should.

Face: Fir, L'archel, and almost certainly many more that I don't have saved in my workspace document.

Hair: Neimi, Tana, L'archel, Jerme, Brenya

Body: L'archel, Hayden, Fiora

utqRUoO.png«Ask»

Much much more FC* and much much more time and much more happiness when working on it

Face: Priscilla, L'archel, Rebecca, Ursula

Hair: Nino, Tana, Ursula, L'archel

Body: Ursula

The part with a blue background = the hackbox, and the part in that area is only 16 colors (including the blue background).

... I think I'm the most inconsistent spriter ever :S

Edited by Eliwan

• 2 months later...

5IDVCYZ.gifzmSCYGe.png

I can tell I'm doing something wrong here; besides not finishing two frames; but I can't tell what. Is it the first motion blur? Is it the three-frame-long motion blur? Is it that it starts slow and then snaps into speed? ...Though, that's intentional, so does that just look weirder than I'm thinking?

iDqbGu7.png

This. Yes this old thing.

This is bad. It is bad in every way possible.

3xf4OuR.gif|lGE37dE.gif

GwdpXrx.png

These are a little bit better. What I'm not sure of is how to make the body actually... move with the motion.

So that leaves me with, as my only choice, making the magic animations more mobile, but I'm not sure where to start with that.

To be honest I'm rather satisfied with the inanimatcy of the critical; but the regular attack feels like it falls flat and I can't figure out a decent way to make it function.

Also because I actually thought this out ahead of time (for once); the paletting possible is slightly better than my normal 'impossible' or 'generic'--

wyRWnt3.png

Oh, since they show up on the palettes.

This class uses scythes and magic, because scythes are cool things that are much more than slightly underrepresented as possible weapons. Admittedly, scythes are never 'fantastic' weapons, like many others can be, but I have a special place in my heart for every kind of weapon and scythes are no exception.

Though I'm all of three frames into the basic attack, which seems like it'll be at least twenty one... and then the critical and blaahaha.

Ah, and since these are kind of my favorite thing to do...

oiAYo7g.png

»Also death motifs are cool and why is there no reaper«

«well, i have my own reaper, an essay.. aha.. do my best sprites when I have something huge to complete from 0 to 100 in a night.»

Edited by Eliwan

The animation is a little bit too smooth. I know that sounds weird but it's characteristic of FE animations to have jumpy/jerky movements to convey motion.

Though all your frames and timing are technically correct, they're not exactly "FE style". I'd cut a few frames here and there, especially of the arm going up to the sword handle. That should be 3-4 frames maximum. Just look at Lyn's Lord animation. In four frames she goes from neutral stance to crouching and ready to lunge.

The first motion blur seems kind of wrong to me as well. He's not moving fast or far enough to justify a motion blur. It would be different if he quickly put his foot forward and paused, then took the lunge, but as it is it almost looks like a blob oozing forward.

With the magic animation, try actually imagining doing that motion yourself. If you were a cool mage in a fantasy world, would you really just stand there and wave your right arm around? Hell nah. You'd straighten your back, maybe turn to the side a bit, shift your body weight on to your other leg, then raise your hand and cast. Remember FE is all fashion and no function, so the more pointless waving around there is, the better.

• 2 weeks later...

Huh... Is she casting the magic backwards? :o

If by that you mean if their back is facing towards the camera during the spell loop animation, then the answer's yes.

Not sure exactly which direction I want the head to be facing during it, but so far it's turning out to be completely backwards as well.

Given how that is going, how should I make the crit? An aerial spin or something? :V

• 1 month later...

I've had an insufficient amount of time for thissss

TVvsBn9.gif

I don't have the crit done yet. I don't even have it sticked yet.

rC9Kh4J.png

I blame √Pi for making me do this.

(first it was a 1.5 lyndis; then I started sketching a fullbody; but then I said that I hated working at that size. I got curious, so I shrunk it back down, and then actually completely forgot that it was just a curiousity--by the time I realized, I was so close to done that I just did it anyway

and then i did a mini because i don't have any sense of staying on task)

I have no idea who did the one in pink but it was a very useful reference that I did use and I'm lazy so I just left it there

Something I didn't know until I checked the official arts again is that apparently Lyndis' hairband has a green gemstone in it.

ArTYT4h.png

and then this is like every other sprite I have done recently-ish that I'm happy with / got stuck on how to do and gave up on

Top left, I started sketching out a secondary protagonist's attacks, and then I realized that I really liked how the one without any brown around it looks, so I went and started doing a thing with it (which is directly to the right)

but I hated that because it looked wrong, so I made it even smaller and it looked okay

so I explored with it for a while and started doing some random walk (that doesn't even work because I am a derp), then did an Ahri because I already had a palette assembled for her.

to the right of that are the sticks I have for the scythe-mage's scythe attack

below that are, right to left now:

a mug that's so obviously the scythe mage, twewy pins, Lyd's other weapons, a single frame of Lyd's animation that I actually did, a weapon icon

left to right below that, a project that got abandoned but not after I started on those, I do want to complete them but I don't know how to make the messenger bag of Leaf actually work

then there're some little sprites for a quest that was run that needed little arts (specifically the bonewalkers were needed).

and then I just love doing little tiny fiddles, so blade lord bow traces and a focus archer custom for the protagonist of said quest

• 3 weeks later...

Tiny stuff:

At one point in time I had written down the frame timings for map animations...

Idle:

l4bw0n2.gifjtRbbFO.gif

(these are both 16 wide though would probably benefit from being 17-18 wide)

Movement:

9CZZL7E.gifjSAKB4x.gif7Xzovin.gif

Focus:

e6LwTUJ.gifTPODddo.gif

Frames:

tTOFzWd.png

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong for the upwards movement, but I know that it looks wrong... But the flow of the hair makes sense given the motions, so blehfdslkfjsgs.

Animations that will be used for all of one or two chapters, so I just edited the generic child villager

Idle:

ZyRJzHc.gif

Focus:

t5ZaXDf.gif

Frames:

TF2EvpM.png

Also, what do people think about fiddling with map palettes? I honestly think it'd be more fun to do more of it, so I made army palettes for each of the lords I have planned (with the first lord keeping the default palette).

P0AGF1c.png

mWQ5ADD.png

and i mean they're obviously bad in this incarnation but i'm partial to the *idea*; which I think would be interesting to do if possible.

---

also i finally found out that I can do a thing I wanted to do.

F8Kg07Y.gif

So I'm just going to go crazy, even if it's so much work that I blargh after getting the concept done and insertable. even though it lacks a return so far, I can do more than just *dream* of getting this done.

I hate being so sick I can't even work on sprites, though.

Edited by Eliwan

Tiny stuff:

At one point in time I had written down the frame timings for map animations...

Idle:

l4bw0n2.gifjtRbbFO.gif

(these are both 16 wide though would probably benefit from being 17-18 wide)

Movement:

9CZZL7E.gifjSAKB4x.gif7Xzovin.gif

Focus:

e6LwTUJ.gifTPODddo.gif

Frames:

tTOFzWd.png

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong for the upwards movement, but I know that it looks wrong... But the flow of the hair makes sense given the motions, so blehfdslkfjsgs.

Animations that will be used for all of one or two chapters, so I just edited the generic child villager

Idle:

ZyRJzHc.gif

Focus:

t5ZaXDf.gif

Frames:

TF2EvpM.png

Also, what do people think about fiddling with map palettes? I honestly think it'd be more fun to do more of it, so I made army palettes for each of the lords I have planned (with the first lord keeping the default palette).

P0AGF1c.png

mWQ5ADD.png

and i mean they're obviously bad in this incarnation but i'm partial to the *idea*; which I think would be interesting to do if possible.

---

also i finally found out that I can do a thing I wanted to do.

F8Kg07Y.gif

So I'm just going to go crazy, even if it's so much work that I blargh after getting the concept done and insertable. even though it lacks a return so far, I can do more than just *dream* of getting this done.

I hate being so sick I can't even work on sprites, though.

I don't really see anything totally wrong with the upward movement of that animation, besides the floppy, choppy hair.

Editing map palettes is definitely a decent idea, but the issue is that ALL animations would have to use that same palette. (Assuming, of course, you're actually hacking. If you're using RPGMaker or FEXNA, that rule doesn't apply.) I've thought of doing it myself, since my enemies in my game are all black-clad, and the red sprites really don't reflect that. lol.

@The animation: Might I ask what the flip she just did? Looks like she summoned a tree outta nowhere and then absorbed it and started to transform.

I don't really see anything totally wrong with the upward movement of that animation, besides the floppy, choppy hair.

..Huh. Okay then.

Editing map palettes is definitely a decent idea, but the issue is that ALL animations would have to use that same palette.

I'm not exactly seeing the "issue" here.

It means that a map palette has to be readable and look nice for all units.

I wonder if it's possible to at least change the map unit palette each chapter. The Last Promise has two sets of map palettes, so I assume it isn't impossibly difficult, but if it isn't feasible to constantly switch it out I'd have to think of something else...

@The animation: Might I ask what the flip she just did? Looks like she summoned a tree outta nowhere and then absorbed it and started to transform.

...Well..

Angelic figure, not a tree, but that's what happens, yes.