48 members have voted

1. 1. Vote and why?

• Joshua
    • Marisa

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another knock against Marisa: She's a pain in the ass to recruit.

not really, send Kyle (high def) to take a hit from her. then talk with ewan.

i think this thread already existed. i say Marisa as Assassin

I was thinking more on Eirika's mode. There's a ton of lance users near her, an archer or two, and getting down to her group ASAP so you don't take a million turns to beat the map means you run face-first into a spawn of relatively powerful pegasus knights with a falconknight leading the charge. You have to talk to her with Gerik, who can potentially die from a crit of hers, and barring that you'll probably hit her back which will bring her near death so you have to heal her immediately or face the wrath of the soldiers and pegasus knights that haven't quite been killed.

This "ton" of lance users is all of three Soldiers. There's a Priest, an Archer and two Myrms near, that's it. The Pegasi only appear later, and by that time Marisa can easily hide in the fortress where you found Innes, Gerik and Tethys. Also, Gerik survives a crit from Marisa quite comfortably, and since they're in a chokepoint, no other enemies will be able to take a shot at Gerik.

Being hard to recruit isn't any kind of point against a unit anyway. Don't tell me you're not going to recruit everyone you can, if only for the weapons (Wo Dao, wooh). Plus, Joshua isn't much easier.

Anyway, I voted Joshua. Similar bases, perhaps Joshua even on the better side, but Joshua is 328923 chapters earlier. Marisa takes a year and a half to catch up...she may be a bit better in the end, avo/crt/support leads and all, but Joshua won all of it before that.

This "ton" of lance users is all of three Soldiers. There's a Priest, an Archer and two Myrms near, that's it. The Pegasi only appear later, and by that time Marisa can easily hide in the fortress where you found Innes, Gerik and Tethys. Also, Gerik survives a crit from Marisa quite comfortably, and since they're in a chokepoint, no other enemies will be able to take a shot at Gerik.

So in other words Marisa would suck if you go on playing Ephraim's route? Hmmmm...

Being hard to recruit isn't any kind of point against a unit anyway. Don't tell me you're not going to recruit everyone you can, if only for the weapons (Wo Dao, wooh). Plus, Joshua isn't much easier.

What exactly do you mean not that much easier? Natasha is the only person who's pretty much able to recruit Joshua and thus he doesn't go off attacking her at all other than the rest of your teams.

Joshua is 328923 chapters earlier. Marisa takes a year and a half to catch up...she may be a bit better in the end, avo/crt/support leads and all, but Joshua won all of it before that.

Where on earth did you get that type of number? ?_? First of all, Marisa won't hit anywhere near Joshua's league by the time he is available. Any level she gains is consider babying.

*waiting for Mekkah to own me...again*

So in other words Marisa would suck if you go on playing Ephraim's route? Hmmmm...

Depends on your definition of suck. Effectively joining at the end of Ch12 isn't that great, and the next two chapters overflow from lance users, and Gerik is less likely to be played due to joining later than on Eirika route.

What exactly do you mean not that much easier? Natasha is the only person who's pretty much able to recruit Joshua and thus he doesn't go off attacking her at all other than the rest of your teams.

What I mean is that even if difficulty of recruitment was a valid point against a character, it would not help Joshua in a Joshua vs Marisa debate, since he's about as "hard".

Where on earth did you get that type of number? ?_? First of all, Marisa won't hit anywhere near Joshua's league by the time he is available. Any level she gains is consider babying.

Hyperbole. It's just quite a bit of chapters...well, mostly on Eph route. On Eir route, it's more like five chapters, or about a fourth of the game.

Marisa being babied...maybe. She's not _that_ bad off in this regard (nowhere near Ewan/Amelia level). She doubles everything but Gwilgigyhsbhdhuiewueis and enemy Swordies, she can comfortably face axes, and she can survive one hit (meaning she can fight on her own in chokepoints as long as she has healer/vulnerary assistance).

What I mean is that even if difficulty of recruitment was a valid point against a character, it would not help Joshua in a Joshua vs Marisa debate, since he's about as "hard".

Well it wouldn't help Marisa's at all either then if you say it this way since Marisa is much "harder" to be even recruited.

Marisa being babied...maybe. She's not _that_ bad off in this regard (nowhere near Ewan/Amelia level). She doubles everything but Gwilgigyhsbhdhuiewueis and enemy Swordies, she can comfortably face axes, and she can survive one hit (meaning she can fight on her own in chokepoints as long as she has healer/vulnerary assistance).

So what? All of this applies for Joshua as well. But more Str and Def. He doesn't necessary need the supports anyways. But if he does, he's much better off supporting with Gerik then.

Also another thing that I would like to point out, Her bases are also a little worse at the same level. Growths are okay, but power and durability suffer a bit to. So I wouldn't count on Marisa just yet...

Edited by Kim Jong-il

What exact turn do the pegasi show up? I've never been able to get in, recruit her, and get out in time for it to matter. Last time I went through Eirika's mode was on Hard Mode and even retrying the map a few times (wasn't a hardcore run, just a run to fill up more slots in support library), they always showed up right when I was able to recruit her. I guess I could have brought Forde and Seth down there to carry people away but I had trouble keeping people alive. Either Marisa died, or Vanessa died in the ensuing chaos trying to keep everyone else alive.

Of course, I also split my forces pretty significantly in that map. Maybe next time I should just jam them all in one direction.

Or just send Gilliam the other way because of his sexy ninja costume he was wearing that playthrough. 15 speed as a level 1 general = unf.

edit: I also find Josh to be pretty easy to recruit. I have Seth run around without weapons in that map because it's still super early on so he doesn't gain a whole lot by actually fighting. Just leave him and only him in range of Joshua to laugh as Josh hits for 1 damage or so. Assuming Natasha is nearby (I would hope so), she can go talk to him and the problem is solved without extra units still around to hurt you.

Edited by sandmanccl

I checked the Chapter Data...

Turn 2: Two Brigands from the eastern mountains

Turn 3: Two Brigands from the eastern mountains

Turn 4: Two Brigands from the eastern mountains

Turn 5: Two Brigands from the eastern mountains

Once Marisa is recruited, but not if she is killed, one turn later Pegasus Knights and a Falcoknight appear from the south western mountains and Cavaliers and a Ranger appear from the south east..

Interesting, I knew SS had more location-based reinforcements than turn-based ones, but nonetheless this is very cool, lol. Might as well wait out Marisa all the way to the fortress then, so it only takes her one phase to get in there.