Siuloir's Sundries

Siuloir

Hi. I'm Siuloir. I've spent most of my life around visual artists, but I'm primarily a musician and a writer. I started playing with pixels a few months back, and this is a compilation of some of the results, largely in an effort to improve myself. (Especially in the realm of shading.) Initial sharing wave is below.

[spoiler=Mugs]

I love mugs and grind away at them constantly, but it's only worth putting the good stuff here.

pz89Jz4.png

"Oren".

Started from a splice at the very beginning of my spriting. Armor is mostly custom at this point Shading on the hair is gradually being turned into a more FE style, as seen on the right (halp). Also, I suck at making colors, and really could use a better silver for the hair.

Bj1zFCZ.png

"Valja."

Mask is custom. Again, needs a better silver, and probably a little more deviation from the base. I think it came out fairly decent.

776AEbs.png

"Gideon".

Two colored versions, FE7 and FE8. His face is pretty reminiscent of its origin. Little details were drawn in. Points if you can tell me the character from another video game series he resembles.

EfiYK7u.png

"Ilona".

Face and hair are custom. This one probably needs a great deal of work.

[spoiler=Map Sprites]

n3HZWaG.png

Standing frame I did for Deranger's awesome Hunter animation.

[spoiler=Battlesprites]

BFbkuvG.png

Done for a contest at TEB. Based off the Trickster.

lS5zYBO.png

Never quite understood how Pirates became frothing berserkers, so I did an edit for vikings. More historically accurate, hornless version on the right.

SrPBNKO.png

The base Soldier is a really boring sprite, so I redid it for a certain upcoming...project. ;) Credit to GhastStation for the shield and tweaks to the lance!

9KiSGA9.png

Percival from the arcade game Knights of the Round, in FE form.

NHLcU9o.png

I don't like the look of Cavalier armor, so I touched it up. Credit to Iscaneus@Deviantart for design inspiration. I'm also working on smoothing out the animation, as they could really use 1-2 more transitional frames.

[spoiler=Animations]

rikDp3Z.gif

What began as a TEB contest entry. MAJOR thanks to GhastStation for providing constant constructive help along the way. Wait until you see the critical for this one. (Shh, it's a secret for now!)

NMMKDJx.gif

This one's still got a ways to go. Ignore the incorrect palette in the corner, for one. Based off the FE5 Fighter jump in. For those asking, she kicks off the head/upper body of the target to start the flip back.

e3UkAj2.gif

Animated version of the soldier edit. Shield and spear are pre Ghast's touchup.

Edited by Siuloir

My pleasure :D

Good potential here! I'm not great at providing imput for mugs, but I hope some other members can provide some helpful cnc for them! Always a fan of Oren, excited to see the critical in its final forrrrm

Edited by XxXPierogiMaztR3pleXxX

• 4 weeks later...

Post vacation update:

Oren's hair is now vastly improved, thanks to Sqawl of TEB pointing me toward Selena as a reference

EQMNrAm.png

ORr303Z.png

Took a very old splice, retooled it a whole bunch - Mainly giving him lamellar armor to further the eastern look. Not so sure about the OPV shoulder, yet.
Lastly, the incredibly talented Lenh graciously let me take a crack at adding a rider to her griffin (I did a couple palette swaps, as well. Also, probably ditching the saddle blanket.)
59757f17ebd07b57499bae06d1f5a0f6.png
Edited by Siuloir

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to focus my efforts more on animating and battle sprites. She's more or less finished now except for consistency edits (See if you stop the one big one.)

JvmQnnb.gif

And awhile ago the very talented Nih gave me a better hair reference for Oren, so he went through a fixer-upper phase again-

4767b29f7c28c4d8138edb37b0515bb1.png

The animation feels weird. He does nothing with his left arm for handaxe and it feels weird watching that.

1) it's a she.

2) The male Fighter also never moves his opposite arm in his handaxe animation. (Apart from when he drops it to his side, because for some strange reason he's holding a tiny handaxe with two hands and then throwing it with one.)

3) It's supposed to be sort of a casual, cocksure toss.

Edited by Siuloir

I agree with Fateborn, in the sense that only the right arm is moving. I think she should move her body into it a bit.

It would probably be better if she torqued a bit to the side, though it is highly likely I will be unable to do that by my proscribed deadline. So, a worthwhile change down the road.

I'm less concerned because IS clearly gave next to no care about its own handaxe animations, as I don't think any class other than the Paladin throws one correctly. It should have never been a horizontal spinning sprite, either.

Edited by Siuloir

I think the face is just a little simple, the pose is pretty static and there isn't much emotion on the face. That said, the jawline isn't quite right, I'd suggest taking a look at the official mugs' necks/jawlines. The armor seems like a bit of a mess, I really feel like the grid lines should conform to the shape of the armor, but right now they just look to be facing the viewer.

I think the face is just a little simple, the pose is pretty static and there isn't much emotion on the face. That said, the jawline isn't quite right, I'd suggest taking a look at the official mugs' necks/jawlines. The armor seems like a bit of a mess, I really feel like the grid lines should conform to the shape of the armor, but right now they just look to be facing the viewer.

I blame Shin's face for the lack of emotion.... The jawline I'll take a second crack at - Thank you.

The armor's lamellar, specifically in a Chinese vein, and at least partially following the guide lines I was given 00c60121ec005e1ba0a0e6768c1df1ce.png ,

but if it helps, it's not really gridded / here are the reference images

http://getasword.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/lamellar-armor.jpg

http://www.2flashgames.com/mp/2009_Red_Cliff/2009_red_cliff_001.jpg

That said, my perspective drawing is questionable at best, so...

Edited by Siuloir

Yeah... Shin certainly isn't an enthused looking fellow. As far as the jawline, in my experience they usually have more of the darkest skintone (the nearly outline color one) with a break with the second darkest shade that leads into a shadow on the neck. Harken has less of the darkest shade than most, and it isn't that important.

I think the armor suffers from you only having one set of dynamic lines. The plates to the far left should appear smaller than the ones at the far right, but right now they all look to be about the same size (especially on the chestplate). These aren't entirely correct, but just for a feel I added a second set of lines.

cbXxCPr.png