Fire Emblem 9, 10, 11, and 12

Baronriggs

Just wondering: where can I find/edit growths for these games using a hex editor?

Also: What do I load into Nightmare from the FE10 rom for the modules to be compatible? I've used WiiScrubber to pick out individual files, but am confused what to do from here.

I don't have the files on me, so I'm guessing the file names here.

FE9: You want system.cmp. After locating it, you need to LZZ7-decompress it.

FE10: I think it's FE10system.cmp, maybe? Total guess here. Again, needs to be decompressed via LZZ7 method.

FE11: FE11data.bin, maybe? Again, should be decompressed via LZZ7. Funny how they use the same compression three systems running.

FE12: FE12Data.bin, I think, and must be decompressed as usual. Cannot remember if it's LZZ7 or the rarer LZZ7 type 11 that FE12 likes to use.

Unfortunately, the growth rates are encrypted, so even if you find them (which isn't hard, with knowledge) you'll have a hard time changing them to values you want.

For the record, there's a roundabout solution, which doesn't involve decrypting, but I don't have the notes I made on me.

EDIT

Oh, this is better: here's a topic on FE12 growths.

Edited by VincentASM

Lempel Ziv 77 is so named because it was created in 1977 by Lempel and Ziv.

I dunno what the hell LZZ7 is

Nintenlord has a thing for LZ77 stuff. FEditor does too.

the rarer LZZ7 type 11

Could that be RLE maybe?

Edited by Aleph

Ffff, I always typo LZ77.

Could that be RLE maybe?

No clue, but Type 11 worked and never broke anything. A funny thing: we alternated between Type 10 and 11 in the FE12 translation patch since FE12 is smart enough to figure out the type from the header.

It's possible RLE was used elsewhere in some other files, but my memory is really hazy (portraits, maybe?).

Edited by VincentASM