Pokémon Regions: Best to Worst

ZemZem

When I really think about Hoenn isn't the worst region IMO...

From best to worst:

1: Johto

2: Unova (B2/W2 version)

3: Hoenn

4: Unova (B/W version)

5: Kanto

6: Kalos

7: Sinnoh

You may wonder why there are two Unova's on this list, but what Black 2 and White 2 added made the region feel a lot more and expansive and interesting to me.

Edited by Kamina

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johto > Unova > Kalos > Sinnoh > Hoenn = Kanto

Johto is just so pretty to me. HGSS really went to town with it and I love it all.

Unova had the seasons, which gave every place a whole new breath of fresh air periodically. This coupled with some other imaginative places and the brand-new adventure feel that came with no old Pokémon being present made it a top tier region for me.

Kalos technically looks great, but it lacks character somehow much like most of the cast in X and Y.

Sinnoh is a little bland, but there are some really serenely beautiful places scattered here and there that give it the edge over Hoenn in my opinion.

Hoenn... I've never really cared for it. Maybe it was just how Gen 3 looked what with all the repetitive tiling and what-not, but I didn't dig it at all. Hoping the remakes can do a better job, 'cause I feel like it has loads of potential.

Kanto is bland as heck. The entire region feels dated to me, and I don't hold any nostalgia bias for it anymore, despite Red being my first game.

1. Hoenn - Bias/10, I really enjoyed the game from beginning to end and has been the Pokegame I've played the most, even the sea routes were fine to me because Max Repels exist p_p
  2. Sinnoh - I also enjoyed this game with Pearl versión as well as Platinum
  3. Johto
  4. Kanto
  5. Kalos
  6. Meh

Didn't play Unova lol

How do people complain about hoen sprites when R/B sprites exist? It truly puzzles me. I also don't get how the designs were unoriginal, but whatever...

IMO the 3rd gen sprites and animations sucked compared to Crystal. It was only really in 4th gen that they drastically improved sprite drawing and also brought back good animations for Pokémon.

IMO the 3rd gen sprites and animations sucked compared to Crystal. It was only really in 4th gen that they drastically improved sprite drawing and also brought back good animations for Pokémon.

...Eh? 4th gen had a lot of questionable sprites even when they weren't off-model.

Edited by Alg

My order:

The BEST: Hoenn. I love how diverse this region is, which is ironic considering how much of the region is water. Seeing cities like Fortree, Sootopolis and Pacifidlog is really cool because they stand out from pretty much any town in Pokemon.

Almost that good: Johto. Even though it's tiny, I really like it because it is compact. There's a lot of stuff to do in this tiny region. I just wish that the level curve was... existent.

Slightly above average: Kalos. THE BEAUTY. It's just so easy though. But I love how diverse this region is. It's also super linear which is disappointing.

Slightly below average: Kanto. Pokemon diversity in this game sucks. It's basically all of the same Pokemon from Lavender town to Cinnabar which is about a third of the game.

Pretty bad: Sinnoh. Literally the only thing that keeps this above last place is because Cynthia is Cynthia.

KILL IT WITH FIRE: Unova. There's no exploring in this game because it's so linear and that takes all of the fun out of it.

1.- Hoenn

2.- Kalos

3.- Jotho

4.- Unova

5.- Kanto

6.- Sinnoh

Hoenn was gorgeous. I loved the water routes and the ones with rainy forests, and it still had stuff like volcanoes. Also great were the contests and the secret bases.

Places 2-5 are really almost equal for me, but I give Kalos the edge because all the pretty stuff it added, followed by Jotho, Unova, and finally Kanto which looking back, it was really just the basics.

Sinnoh sucked. Sorry, but it did. The only region I found added nearly nothing remarkable. And Defog. Seriously. If I had to make a comparison, Sinnoh to me is like FE10 Ike. Boring, lifeless, and simply going through the motions for the entire game. There were a few things about it I liked, but it doesn't save it for being last in my list.

I liked how they worked in Hoenn better and they were new back then. Sinnoh added very little in terms of new features.

Really, the things I like best about Sinnoh, like the Physical/Special split, have nothing to do with the actual region, so I'm not mentioning them here.

EDIT: One feature I did like about Sinnoh was the underground thing they did to search for fossils and other stuff (what was the name? I forgot). It was a neat feature, but not enough for me to put Sinnoh above last place overall.

Edited by Jave

I really, really liked Hoenn (including the horns, the horns were the best part); surfing got annoying but i only started noticing it recently. I will admit that they haven't aged well, but damn if I'm not allowed to have my first game as my favorite

others would probably be

Hoenn

Sinnoh - Diamond/Pearl/Plat were great and IMO the best overall games

Unova - I'm gonna get flak for this, but I actually really liked Black and White. I actually had a great time playing from scratch and trying to figure out what everything's types were (including rekindling my hatred for ZuWoobat). PWT in B2/W2 was sick as fuck

Kalos/Johto/Kanto - Don't really have impressions of these; Kalos was great but really short and Johto was fun and kanto was just... there.

Well, for me it's Hoenn > Sinnoh > Unova > Kalos > Johto > Kanto. Hoenn was my first region and by far my favorite, on the other hand I feel that Kanto is the most overrated, especially considering the amount of times it's been revisited.

I liked how they worked in Hoenn better and they were new back then. Sinnoh added very little in terms of new features.

Really, the things I like best about Sinnoh, like the Physical/Special split, have nothing to do with the actual region, so I'm not mentioning them here.

EDIT: One feature I did like about Sinnoh was the underground thing they did to search for fossils and other stuff (what was the name? I forgot). It was a neat feature, but not enough for me to put Sinnoh above last place overall.

Oh, I see now. Thanks for clearing that up. xP

And it was simply called the Underground. I loved it too and wish it would make a comeback!

Well, for me it's Hoenn > Sinnoh > Unova > Kalos > Johto > Kanto. Hoenn was my first region and by far my favorite, on the other hand I feel that Kanto is the most overrated, especially considering the amount of times it's been revisited.

This is such a dumb complaint. They revisited Kanto all of one time, then remade the two games. What, were you seriously expecting that the Gen 3 remakes would take place in Hoenn? That at the end of Johto in the Gen 4 remakes you'd visit Sinnoh instead?

Er, we visited Kanto throughout the first FOUR generations. Gen 1 and gen 2 for obvious reasons, then gen 3 gave us the gen 1 remakes, then gen 4 gave us gen 2 remakes.

And then gen 6 over-glorified Kanto by including a lot of its Pokemon plus the starters. I'm kind of getting sick of Kanto myself.

Er, we visited Kanto throughout the first FOUR generations. Gen 1 and gen 2 for obvious reasons, then gen 3 gave us the gen 1 remakes, then gen 4 gave us gen 2 remakes.

And then gen 6 over-glorified Kanto by including a lot of its Pokemon plus the starters. I'm kind of getting sick of Kanto myself.

It's disingenuous to complain about remakes retreading the same ground when that is what they are by nature.

Don't really care enough to talk about how whether or not Generation VI overglorified Kanto, but regardless it did not revisit Kanto (so it's irrelevant to what I'm talking about at the moment).

Kanto is the first. It deserves to be overglorified.

Hoenn has one of the worst cities, Sootopolis. Impossible to reach without HM (if you don't have Fly you need both Surf and Dive), and completely unnecessary once you beat the gym leader.

Edited by Bird Jesus

Kanto is the first. It deserves to be overglorified.

I beg to differ. If something came first, cool. But if it's sequels did things better, it doesn't deserve to be overglorified. In my opinion the only region that overall introduced worse pokemon than Kanto (SOME of my favorites are from Kanto though) was Unova. (But I think the pokemon selection aside that B/W are better games than RBY/FRLG, and B2/W2 fixes this issue by putting in older pokemon)

Edited by Kamina

I don't see how bashing on Sootopolis is a negative for Hoenn. And how does the means of accessing the city make it one of the worst cities in general? Shouldn't you be judging the city's material instead?

I'm ranking these in terms of how much I liked the actual regions, not how much I liked the games

Orre

HOENN INTENSIFIESSSSS

Sinnoh

Unova

Then these aren't in any particular order, but I like them less than the above:

Kalos

Kanto

Johto

I liked XY and I loved HGSS as a game, but the regions themselves don't interest me as much as the others had

I'm ranking these in terms of how much I liked the actual regions, not how much I liked the games

Orre

HOENN INTENSIFIESSSSS

Sinnoh

Unova

Then these aren't in any particular order, but I like them less than the above:

Kalos

Kanto

Johto

I liked XY and I loved HGSS as a game, but the regions themselves don't interest me as much as the others had

Your counting Orre? Well, I do admit that XD is one of, if not my favorite pokemon game...

I'm gonna do three rankings- Pokemon, Story and Map (I'm splitting Unova into BW and B2W2 for reasons that are evident later)

Pokemon 1st

1) Kalos- a massive variety of Pokemon, some pretty cool typings (such as a DARK/PSYCHIC!) All in all, some very diverse teams. And megaevolutions.

2) Unova B2W2- another big dex, but not as large as Kalos. Eevees can be caught in the wild OMD.

3) Sinnoh- Diamond was my first Pokemon game, and Chimchar my first starter. I loved the idea of the Pokemon Shellos/its evolution that was different depending on what half of the Mount Cornet it was on. Plus- Leafeon! Only weakness- only 5 fire type Pokemon in D/P, though the amount of Pokemon was better in Platinum.

4) Kanto- Johnto joined- I only played Soul Silver. Whilst there is a massive variety of Pokemon (which is good), I prefer Sinnoh's dex, I guess

6) Unova BW- Not because I hate the Unova Pokemon (Trubbish isn't rubbish- Starters are cool- overall a very good mix of Pokemon) but because there are games with better dexes (Kalos, And Unova B2W2 spring to mind)

7) Hoenn- I don't know the names of most of them. Weren't as memorable in my eyes (though fave legendary is Rayquaza. I n...want one.

Story

1) Hoenn- I like the idea of there being two teams (Magma and Aqua) and the idea of them trying to change the landscape of Hoenn was cool. I liked the Environmental theme. Beats Unova BW by a small margin.

2) Unova BW- Damn, N is amazing, Ghetis (Who I call Gay-tits because I cannot pronounce his name (sorry if it offends anyone)) is an evil dastard. I really loved the plot :) And Team Plasma is cool :)

3) Unova B2W2- Not as good as BW, but it was still very good. :)

4) Sinnoh- Marginally beats Kalos. First game bias. Sorry.

5) Kalos- whilst the idea of four rivals/friends was a cool idea, it was a step down plot wise from the amazing plots of Unova BW and Unova B2W2. Team Flare seemed generic, sorry.

6) Johto- Whilst the rival was cool, it just seemed like a rehash of Kanto's plot.

7) Kanto- meh.

Map

1) Unova B2W2- One of my favorite places in ANY video game is Village bridge. I just seriously love it to death. Plus, it had some many locations to explore, which makes me very happy. :)

2) Johto-Kanto joint- SoulSilver was a truly massive game, and there was so much to do. Not as cool as Unova B2W2, but hey, I liked it.

4) Sinnoh-Kalos-Hoenn joint- Cannot separate them in my mind, all of them deserve equal status as regions. I loved all of them in different ways.

7) Unova BW- Whilst it has village bridge, playing B2W2 made me realise how...small the region was really.

Oh YES, another Village Bridge fan! I love it there too and the music is some of my favorite in the series. :3 I liked how it got better as you talked to the musicians and the singer dude. The singer dude made it the best, imo.

Okay...

1.) Hoenn: First game bias blah blah blah.

2.) Kalos: Was pretty fun for me, enjoyed it

3.) Unova: Also was fun to go through blind.

4.) Sinnoh: Needs more not useless Fire Types in Diamond/Pearl

5.) Johto: Would've been better if they didn't include....

6.) Kanto: To join in on the gen 2 adventure.