Fire Emblem 8 Animation troubles.

Furyhaven

Okay I'm new to hacking Fire Emblem, so I apologize in advanced if any of my question's answers are obvious.

The things I'm trying to accomplish seem simple enough. I also refer to the Ultimate Tutorial for most of my information.

My first problem is with Map Sprites. I have already inserted the new moving map sprite into my Rom, over the correct class, and it worked great, and looks how it's supposed to. It's the standing map sprite that I have having my problem with, as the class's original map sprite picture size is smaller than the new one's. I unchecked abort if new graphics are bigger than old, just to see how it turned out, and of naturally it looks messed up in game. Is there a way to format the class's map sprite graphic so it fits the new graphic? Or maybe an alternative way to get what I am trying to do?

My second problem is also with Map Sprites. When you hover your selecter over one of your units on the map, or open their info window, the map sprite plays a specific animation, and I cant find in the Ultimate Tutorial where to find the proper offset to edit this animation.

My third and final problem seems more convoluted. What I'm trying to do is add Hector and Roy into Fire Emblem 8, over Civillain 3(F), with Myrmidon (F)'s battle animation, and the Female Shaman classes. The issue is, I cant seem to find out how to make it so when Hector uses an axe, it plays the Female Myrmidon animation where I inserted his axe attack. It acts as if there is no animation set to play. I only assume that it is because the Civillain has no weapon skill and thus no animation, and the Myrmidon (F) is scripted to be a sword, although I am not sure of this. I also assume I will have this problem with Roy as well, for the Female Shaman animation is not for a sword. My prior experience with inserting new battle animations are all, coincidentally over classes using the correct weapon, so I have never had this problem before. I also looked into solving this myself, and I have seen people asking about this before, because I guess Fire Emblem 8's Custom Battle Animation module is set up differently than Fire Emblem 7's, but the words everyone uses are a bit foreign to me sometimes, so nothing solved my problem. I appreciate anyone trying to help me with any of my problems, because as of right now I'm kind of stuck.

wasn't paying attention, sorry

if you're hacking FE8, just use the custom animation editor; it's fairly self-explanatory and you should be able to figure it out

That's actually what I don't understand. All it has is a dropdown with a bunch of blank boxes. Do I just fill out the boxes, then use the number from the top dropdown as the animation pointer?

1ef82497a4.png

this is what I see; the "all [weapon]" should be self-explanatory, as should "all weapons for a weapon type"/the other one. Remember to change all the separators to 0 and you should be good

the 0x8[sOME OTHER VALUES] is the animation pointer that goes into the class editor, yes

Edited by CT075

Awesome that worked out perfectly, thank you. Although, now I am running into problems with the Moving sprite. I inserted the animation in GBAGE to the offset D00000, then opened the entry where I wanted to call it in the misc map sprite editor, and put that offset as the animation pointer. When I tested it in game, it crashed. I'm not sure where to put the animation where it will work. I checked the tutorial you gave me, but hex is a sea of confusion to me as well, so I don't know what to look for when it comes to finding a blank spot to insert animations, or how I find the offset to call for the pointer once I do.

did you write 0x08D00000 or 0xD00000 in the module?

is the "compressed graphic" (or whatever it says) box checked when you view the graphic at 0xD00000?

Edited by CT075

When I imported the bitmap to GBAGE I set the Graphics Offset to D00000, then for the animation pointer in the misc map sprite editor I set it to 08D00000. But no, in GBAGE compressed graphic box was grayed out like it was unclickable.

first, revert to a backup if you have one, otherwise you'll probably need to start over or do some comparatively complex fixes that i don't really want to walk you through

in "image controls", go to the original graphic that you're trying to replace (the moving frames, the highlighted frames, the standing frames, whatever). Open "import bitmap". One of those options should have an offset box, set that to 0xD00000. Uncheck "abort if new graphics bigger than old". Insert, then fix whatever other pointers and you should be done.

Okay so I just got home and tried what you said on a previous backup, and now I get an error when loading my rom with my emulator. Somethings really messed up haha. I would post a picture but it wont let me paste.

Basically it says

The Following error(s) occured when loading the cartrige:

Bad Header Checksum (Real Gameboy Would Shut Down)

Bad Rom Entry Point at Header [000h]

Bad Fixed Value 96h at Header [0B2h]

then a bunch of other stuff saying that I may have tried to open something that isn't a Rom.

I tried both 0xD00000 and 0xDD0000 like in the tutorial for my offsets.

I am guessing, now this is a guess, that the digit in the tutorial is a blank spot of hex in Fire Emblem 7, and I am having issues because I am modding Fire Emblem 8? I opened the hex editor for what it's worth in my hands, and went to those offsets and they seemed like they had information there, unlike the FFs or whatever you are supposed to see.

Also, for sure it's the insertion in GBAGE, because the previous backup works from what I can tell, and the Rom breaks directly after that.

post-11699-0-49528400-1404016445_thumb.png

Sorry to jump into this thread, but it's related to the issue I'm having: If I were inserting a new class and didn't want to replace any others, what .txt file should I edit so that my standing sprite dropdown box in nightmare expands? I'm guessing 0x00 through 0x57 are all being used, but that's as far as my table goes and I can't find the related .txt file to change that.

Edit: Ended up just opening the module via notepad and editing the list there. I can get the standing sprite to display now, but the character disappears when I hover the cursor over them. Any idea what gives?

Edited by Wander

Sorry to jump into this thread, but it's related to the issue I'm having: If I were inserting a new class and didn't want to replace any others, what .txt file should I edit so that my standing sprite dropdown box in nightmare expands? I'm guessing 0x00 through 0x57 are all being used, but that's as far as my table goes and I can't find the related .txt file to change that.

Edit: Ended up just opening the module via notepad and editing the list there. I can get the standing sprite to display now, but the character disappears when I hover the cursor over them. Any idea what gives?

If that is how Nightmare works that would be too awesome. If I knew anything I would help.

But anyway, thank you a lot, I finally got everything working how I wanted it. Suchhh a relief.

I looked into B30000 with HxD as well and saw that its hex digits are indeed blank, and as you said were blank for quite a while. Idk how I didnt see that massive chunk of blank hex before lol.

Again thanks a lot, I will be able to use this information a lot in the future.

Oh actually, when you are exporting the walking sprite picture, change the height from 32 to 60. The selected cursor is on that pic and it always gets cut off when I don't set the height.

If that is how Nightmare works that would be too awesome.

Nightmare modules are all just text, the dropdown options are all just text; yes, that is how it works and it is awesome. It would be more awesome if it were more accurate with representing reference and boolean data types OH WAIT

Nightmare 2.0 does that

Nightmare 3 (or whatever he's calling it) will be much better though (when Zahlman finishes it) because it will be more like a compiler, resolving all kinds of issues with

- modularity (nightmare (the original) and nightmare 2.0 both have no real future as far as adding support for unique data types)

- memory management (FEditor has shown that trying to manage memory within a binary file is awful; nm 3.0 won't manage memory over time but will instead compile everything all at once, removing issues of program interoperability of free space)

- accessibility (nm 2.0 is already cross platform due to being in java, but nm 3 will be in python which is (also cross platform. but also) simpler to write, build, deploy and use)

- possibly other stuff I can't think of

So yeah we should bug Zahlman to finish that.

Any idea what gives?

Yes! I am pretty sure hovering over them uses the moving sprite that is part of the same sheet as when you actually have the character move around. This is selected using a different index that is also used for other things which, again, going off of hazy memory, causes problems by forcing you to change something you don't want to change in addition to the thing you do.

I noted which index it was in my own updated version of the FE7 modules years ago. No idea what the community did with that, but here's this

Edited by Aleph

Nightmare modules are all just text, the dropdown options are all just text; yes, that is how it works and it is awesome. It would be more awesome if it were more accurate with representing reference and boolean data types OH WAIT

Nightmare 2.0 does that

Nightmare 3 (or whatever he's calling it) will be much better though (when Zahlman finishes it) because it will be more like a compiler, resolving all kinds of issues with

- modularity (nightmare (the original) and nightmare 2.0 both have no real future as far as adding support for unique data types)

- memory management (FEditor has shown that trying to manage memory within a binary file is awful; nm 3.0 won't manage memory over time but will instead compile everything all at once, removing issues of program interoperability of free space)

- accessibility (nm 2.0 is already cross platform due to being in java, but nm 3 will be in python which is (also cross platform. but also) simpler to write, build, deploy and use)

- possibly other stuff I can't think of

So yeah we should bug Zahlman to finish that.

Awesome, that makes it easy to manage who is over who and all that.

I tried to add a new entry but obviously that didn't work. Is it possible to add a new slot for standing map sprites? I know you can do it with moving sprites because its just a pointer and you can point it where you inserted it, but it seems that the standing sprite needs its own entry.

If you're modifying the list in the Nightmare module's resource file all you're doing is telling Nightmare that the value you want to pick is valid. Whether or not it actually is depends on whether you make it that way by allocating and referencing the new resource you've made within the ROM file.

Yes! I am pretty sure hovering over them uses the moving sprite that is part of the same sheet as when you actually have the character move around. This is selected using a different index that is also used for other things which, again, going off of hazy memory, causes problems by forcing you to change something you don't want to change in addition to the thing you do.

I noted which index it was in my own updated version of the FE7 modules years ago. No idea what the community did with that, but here's this

Thanks so much! Yeah, I figured out that it was part of the moving sheet, although trying my own solution completely broke the ROM (pure white screen popped up, have no idea why). I made a backup, though, so it's all good. I'll look into this some more, thanks for the help!

I tried to add a new entry but obviously that didn't work. Is it possible to add a new slot for standing map sprites? I know you can do it with moving sprites because its just a pointer and you can point it where you inserted it, but it seems that the standing sprite needs its own entry.

If you open the standing map sprite.nmm file with a text editor, you should see an offset 0xC99700 and on the line below that the number 88; if you change the 88, your dropdown list in nightmare expands. I would heartily recommend making a backup of your ROM before trying this though, because I have no idea if it'll overwrite something important somehow.

• 4 years later...

can someone help me with a couple things. so i made my FE8 journeymen class so it promotes to a fighter and mercenary so i added a sword weapon rank for franz of E and axe weapon rank f e for ross(its for a custom sacred stone im building) but the problem is, journeymens dont have sword animation and it seems like sticking a generic sword used by falcoknights and replace the hatchet animation would make it work and im on the process of making that sprite so what i wanna ask is how do i plonk it down in the rom and apply it?