Toa's Sprites

Toa

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the designs for these characters, nice colors and outfit elements for the two custom mugs. Always excellent seeing people challenging their skills. I like the designs for the hair as well. Also, kudos on getting under the color limit!

...now hopefully some useful thoughts and critique.

You may want to add one lighter shade to the hair and the armor though to give them more definition/shading... at the moment it looks like they only have two colors for each of those areas which is making them seem a little flat. Also the green gentleman's sideburn are could do with bulking up a pixel or two, while hair right above it could do with more rounded curve rather than sharp point... maybe just move that area back a pixel or two?

The latest full custom mugs are definately cool, but they seem to have some proportional issues.I'm no expert on portraits/mugs myself but bear with me here. The heads of the mugs seem a little large in comparison to the bodies, not a huge amount but either they need a few pixels shaved off or the bodies need to be bulked up a little bit. At least to my eyes.

The anatomy of the faces as well could also use some definition/reshaping to make it defined where the cheek begins, the jaw/chin are and where the forehead/brow begins as most faces in real life or in FE portrait style aren't quite really round, triangular or oval shaped. For the green gentleman you could probably take a few pixels from the left top of the head a few pixels right, as right now the head seems to be getting bulbous on the top, more like squidward's head when it would make more sense to curve back towards the right.

This isn't the best mug, but the I feel the proportions for the head aren't too off to reference what I mean.

XQHj1K.pngIyhEdUx.png

...note how the bald head curves back from the brow, whereas the green gentleman's head doesn't.

The nose and eyes could maybe do being larger as they get lost in the expanse of the face. Noses at least seem small. It looks like they have the same ear shading as well, which seems off considering their ears would be at different angles due to the angles the heads are at. Slightly smaller mouths by a pixel or two might help, maybe move green's mouth up a pixel as well.

For the clothes, the gem is cool, cloak is a nice design choice... the area under the cloak for the green guy lacks definition though, looks flat. Is the green cloak supposed to be off the shoulders or on them?

Blue Guy, the armor is a cool design, probably my favorite part of this mug, but it needs more shading to give it definition also where does his headband disappear to? Why is his head tilted at that angle with his neck essentially straight up? The way he is cocking his head to the angle of the neck seems a little painful.

The points/definition of the collars seem a little peculiar as well, like they wouldn't point the ways they are without wires underneath them. The blue guys collar points could probably just lose a couple pixels of pointyness and look great, but the green gentleman's collar lacks clear shape.

...Anyways, I hope my thoughts made some sense... Once again, you have some really nice work here, kudos on customing... keep it up!

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

• 1 month later...

Apparently I didn't update throughout the entire month of November, whoops lol.

Tis the season, so i gave Hanbei a hat for my icon

H0XZRQY.pngXt0nv6V.png

I made some changes on these, I don't entirely remember what they were because I did them a while ago. I know I fixed Blue's headband and armor and mad Green's cape cover his shoulder more.

LbQYuOo.png

Here's a new thing, his head is too big, but I don't really want to fix it right now. I don't really like his body as I designed it on the fly and it isn't really what I wanted.

ZEdEeaE.png

Based on a friend's character, a splice with customish hair.

And now the WIP dump

jfnY1gG.png

Fixing this guy even more

UWu6k8D.png

The other gender?! She's eventually going to be a nobleish cleric, not sure what to do for a body.

NeRuMwu.png

Pretty much just a base at this point

evOO4oc.png

This guy's head and hair are finished except for his lack of eyebrows. More problems with no inspiration for a body.

Wxnwx2P.png

The parts I liked about my splice comp entry, the body I made was rushed and I still had no body inspiration so I was pretty unhappy with it. I might try to give him a full custom body at some point.

Edited by Toa

uLgOjGq.png -> Ncb7Q1S.png

A lot of changes between this guy's first draft and the latest version! (which I'm sufficiently happy with) I think he looks way better now, I'm especially fond of the shoulder trim, I think it's my best trim to date.

yP1VOQD.png

Also got a body onto this guy

Edited by Toa

Hey that first guy is a definite improvement on the last iteration! He is so bored haha. You really fixed up the body a lot. The face still seems kinda weird to me though, like he has a fairly uneven jawline and weak chin. Then you shaded his nostrils as if we're seeing from below his head, but the rest of his features are pointing straight at us, so unless he's got a Voldemort nose then you'd probably not be seeing the nostrils near as much. The eyebrows are a bit odd to me too, they're like, super thin and long, kinda like someone with really overplucked brows.

Second guy is pretty cool, though I feel like he's got a bit of a weird chin as well. It feels very weak, whereas the rest of his features make him seem like he'd have a decently strong jaw/chin. His eyebrows are also pretty hard to read, they're like even more plucked and thin looking than the first guy. I also think this guy could probably have broader shoulders, he's got a pretty thick neck and the shoulders aren't echoing that.

Definitely improvements as a whole though~ Keep it up :3

Eyebrows... Dx I'm pretty bad at them so I looked at some official ones and made some changes

PhcIILt.pngHtIF3oU.png

I made changes to blue hair's jawline, I noticed one side was straighter than the other so I rounded it out. Assuming that's what uneven jawline meant. I tried to fix his chin a bit, but I wasn't entirely sure what to do. I also made some changes to his nose.

I fixed the second's chin, and coupled with his new eyebrows he has a look of determination that I like more than his old blandish expression. I also broadened his shoulders a bit. For some reason I keep drawing them pretty slim.

Thanks for the feedback, Mew! C:

Edited by Toa

You have really long noses, and that sort of tends to skew your facial proportions.

Hope you don't mind. Some things really bugging me.

81f9ea18f9fe5440272813673b175342.png

Messed with things. There's not a lot of darkest skintone usage in the actual face, and the far eye is kind of a little high up. Kind of a shit angle to play with, though.

19b8f5d4c42e997e582991ca0a7bda57.png

Ah, yeah I can see my noses making a bit too much empty face space. I'll make sure to watch out for that

I'll take a look at that, looks like his jawline is a lot more defined.

The new angling for that body looks waaaay better. Will definitely be taking a look at that. I'm also seeing how the shortened nose looks better.

Thank you for the references! Will definitely be taking a look at those!

...agreed that some of the shading could do with reworking. Something most people struggle with though.

Latest sprite does look a lot better proportionally and in its design though! Kudos, much better! ...but yeah inconsistent light source on the shading makes it not quite match FE style as well as it could.

If the problem is just the armor, I think that might be because I had originally drawn and shaded the body horizontally flipped, so when I put it in the current view the light came from the wrong side.

Is this any better?

sZvCnz2.png

I'll look into hair, and with the stuff you guys are talking about, are you talking about everything or just this one?

Edited by Toa

Look at the armor. The light part, which is where the light source would be aimed at, is on top, with it getting darker as we go lower on the armor. Then look at the face. The right side is well lit, the left side isn't.

The light source on the armor needs to come from the right side, not the top.

Look at the armor. The light part, which is where the light source would be aimed at, is on top, with it getting darker as we go lower on the armor. Then look at the face. The right side is well lit, the left side isn't.

The light source on the armor needs to come from the right side, not the top.

it's actually top right corner, so it is a bit above the sprite. Same light source for every FE mug, though.

And yeah, the hair needs a third shade and more defined strands and texture.

hdq17C8.png

Is that hair better? It's had three shades the whole time, but I used the middle one a bit more here. I want his hair to be spiky like it is, but I couldn't find any really good refs for that. I think it looks a bit less blocky now though.

qfJVvki.pnghdq17C8.png

On that last blue mug, see how you did shading on the pieces that made it appear to have multiple strands?

Even though it is a different hairstyle some of that similar shading would help the strands to look more like real hair spiked up rather than chunks of some colored random material spikes.

...honestly it doesn't look that bad already at least to me, but they are right that it could be better, more natural looking.

Edited by TheErrantShepherd