H3 Mid Tiers no DLC, no Mixed Class Sets and no Lunatic statboosters

Just as promised, I've started my new playthrough of FE12! Starring a bunch of mid tiers and an Archer avatar.

Here are the rules:

1. Lunatic Class difficulty.

2. Rainbow Potion, Growth Drop and Bond Drop are banned from use.

3. Lunatic is assumed to have never been completed, so Lunatic boosters are banned from use.

4. No male units can reclass outside of their original class set.

5. Efficiency style. By that I mean not LTC but still fast paced enough. Hopefully no turtling unless strictly neccesary. If a strat in the Prologue can be done without deploying High Tiers, I will do the chapter without them.

6. Avatar must be a Female Archer during the Prologue and will be benched afterwards.

7. High Tier and Top Tiers units, except Feena, are banned from use after the Prologue.

8. Full recruitment.

9. No permanent unit deaths allowed.

10. If a high tier unit is auto-deployed by the game in a chapter, that unit can be used for the remainder of that chapter. Ex: Catria, Palla, Sirius

Examples of not automatically deployed by the game: Malicia, village units etc.

11. I can actually deploy High Tier units, but they may never enter combat while equipped with a weapon or use staves on anyone or anything. This is in case someone of a higher tier is neccesary to recruit someone. Example: Caeda with Roger, Sirius with Nyna, etc.

Here is the first vid:

Tears gets to be an Orphan with Kindness present and Wealthy future.

Orphan lets her 2HKO the soldier, saving a vulnerary use. She only needs 8 str to 3HKO Jagen. It also guarantees beating Luke next chapter as it makes her and Ryan able to 4HKO Luke without any str procs from Tears.

Kindness lets her take on the first Prologue with less vulneraries used. Note that in order for her to save this vulnerary use, one of Jagen or the soldier can't proc max Str.

Wealthy so that she has a great Spd growth, might come in handy!

Here's Prologue 1:

Edited by Tangerine

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lmao, I just realized Wealthy isnt Spd. Note to self: Don't trust your memory. That's so hilarious that I might not redo.

Edited by PKL

If you're not going to use her, then there's no need to redo it! Let's see how she grows - perhaps you'll get one of my classic failures!

If you're not going to use her, then there's no need to redo it! Let's see how she grows - perhaps you'll get one of my classic failures!

True! I'll bench her anyway, which reminds me, I should try to not feed her that many kills since she's just for the Prologue. Oh, also, I've decided to add 2 new rules to the playthrough:

1. Full recruitment.

2. No deaths.

Here's Prologue 2

The strat can vary a lot depending on who Luke decides to attack between Ryan and Avatar. In my case, he preferred Ryan in Turn 1 and Avatar in Turn 2 so it was possible to 6 turn. If he attacks Avatar in Turn 1 it might not be possible to 6 turn. After recording, is when I realized that Res proc was probably due to my Avatar's Future :facepalm: . Too bad she didn't proc her 75 Luck growth, I seem to have poor luck with luck growths in general. It would've made the next chapter more consistent. Also, I probably should've fed Luke to Ryan since I'm dropping Avatar after the Prologue, but whatever.

Wasn't actually that hard to figure out. Though the strat was completely dependent on the first Fighter not having 10 Skl (5 Crit) as it made him target Avatar instead of Lance! Luke/Rody. If Avatar had 4 Luck, it would be completely consistent, but that wasn't a thing. I cut the video early so the next chapter is a surprise. Spoilers: It's probably Athena's as usual.

EDIT: Yeah, I had to fort stall since I only have 1 vulnerary left. That's just how Archer Avatar works.

Edited by PKL

I wish you luck, for you will be needing it.

Also, don't forget to get MU (as you bench her) past promotion and level 5 so you can get 16x without worrying about chapter 16.

Moreover, will you be using Malliesia to use the hammerne on the Rescue Staff?

Edited by Nintales

I wish you luck, for you will be needing it.

Also, don't forget to get MU (as you bench her) past promotion and level 5 so you can get 16x without worrying about chapter 16.

Moreover, will you be using Malliesia to use the hammerne on the Rescue Staff?

Thanks. I don't think I'll have an issue with getting Chapter 16x so I'll bench her before then.

I'm actually not going to use Malicia at all, which is gonna suck a bit.

Caeda is so good. With this chapter I realize I'm going way too slow due to the Avatar and the only Mid Tier unit among these is Ryan (well, Wrys too but he's not combat unit), so his level is inflated, which makes evaluating him at this point kinda dumb. I'm actually convinced Ryan would have a lot of issues in a normal H3 no DLC run though and think his placing should be Upper Mid Tier at best. Next chapter I might actually feed things to Merric btw as I might use him when he returns!

Units that I plan on using at some point/im interested in using:

Ryan

Cecille

Gordin

Linde (kinda like Ryan, to test them out in an environment where they don't get their ideal resources)

Merric

Wrys

Yumina

Ogma

Barst

Roger

Minerva

Darros

Belf

Leiden

If you're going to do that, then I suggest a second run where Ryan/Linde aren't used, ever. Otherwise, I feel that it defeats the point of the run.

If you're going to do that, then I suggest a second run where Ryan/Linde aren't used, ever. Otherwise, I feel that it defeats the point of the run.

Maybe an H4 mid tiers run without those 2, we'll see.

The crit at the end is kinda hilarious, I was just checking how much damage Merric would do to the boss and then I accidentally pressed the attack. Originally I was gonna chip with Caeda after Wrys healed her, chip with MU and feed merric anyway. I went Draug route, even though Ogma is superior I don't think Archer MU can handle that map.

Went Draug route because I theorize Ogma route is a lot tougher with an Archer Avatar. The reward would be better, as I would be able to deploy Ogma in P7 and P8 unlike Draug and he's very good in the Prologue, but alas.

Notes: Caeda was not deployed, as I already have the freedom to choose who to deploy and she's a Top Tier unit unlike the rest that I deployed. Ryan was given an Iron Lance so Cecille could trade it from him in a second Prep screen in which I also viewed talk conversations because of my OCD (cant let that thing shine green).

Merric disappointed me so much with his level...sigh.

Sorry for the post without a vid, but it is relevant and I might need to bump it to ask. Basically, Prologue 7 Cain is a huge pain in the rear, it's almost impossible to do it consistently, as Avatar and Wrys are ORKO'd by the Peg and I have no Caeda to block that fort. I can't make it to the left side fast enough to avoid it either because of the lack of offense. Should I deploy Caeda for a consistent recording or hope the Pegasus reinforcement doesn't proc 13 AS so it can't ORKO Avatar/Cecille? It should happen eventually, but it is soooo annoying and since my avatar is blessed in spd and it wouldnt happen normally, well...

Just deploy Caeda, it's only the prologue after all. This isn't the part people are most interested in seeing you avoid using high tier units in anyway since you have so little leeway lol.

Edited by Irysa

You are required to use Shiida in Prologue 7 and 8, with your team, so use her.

If you want, you can just have her waiting in the fort at Turn 2, where it is impossible for the archers to reach her.

Yeah, you should definitely use Caeda. You simply don't have units good enough to deal with the enemies in the rest of the prologue and everyone is mostly interested in the mid tiers' performance in the maingame.

Though tbh, I don't think you need to ban all higher tier units. iirc, part of this run's premise is to judge how well mid tiers do in an actual playthrough. Their performance/value though would significantly change based on their competition, so in a tier setting, the results you get here might be skewed. Plus some higher tier units such as Sirius, Rody, and Draug are very much affected by the restrictions placed on them.

That's just my opinion though and it should be interesting regardless, I'm just trying to help you out.

Edited by Black Frost

Very well, I deployed Caeda. I checked to see if I could potentially 3 turn with Caeda deployed but even If I get rid of Cain by concentrating on that, I can't rout and zombie!Cain still calls the reinforcements, its hilarious.

The best I could do is 5 turns while feeding Cecille the Cain bosskill. Cecille also got a pretty damn nice level, wow.

The miss by the armor is actually inconsequential, Tears would still hang on next turn and I could've just had Ryan tank the myrmidon (hangs on with 1 HP) and chip Cain with Tears instead. Having 9 spd made Tears able to double Armors, but it also wasn't neccesary, a non-doubling Archer Avatar with her str average would still do 10 damage out of 34 HP with her Steel Bow, so Merric can still finish the Armor off when he needs to. The armor can proc 35 HP though and that can't happen in that case.

If the myrmidons can double Avatar and Ryan doesn't have enough HP+Def, idk how I'd tackle the chapter but I reckon it's still possible with some move adjustments and settling with a 6 turn.

Yeah, you should definitely use Caeda. You simply don't have units good enough to deal with the enemies in the rest of the prologue and everyone is mostly interested in the mid tiers' performance in the maingame.

Though tbh, I don't think you need to ban all higher tier units. iirc, part of this run's premise is to judge how well mid tiers do in an actual playthrough. Their performance/value though would significantly change based on their competition, so in a tier setting, the results you get here might be skewed. Plus some higher tier units such as Sirius, Rody, and Draug are very much affected by the restrictions placed on them.

That's just my opinion though and it should be interesting regardless, I'm just trying to help you out.

Yeah, that's true. But I can't test enough mid tiers at the same time if i deploy a bunch of high tiers. I think I'd rather see what a bunch of mid tiers can do than see what only a few mid tiers can do. This is not a normal run by any means (thanks to Archer Avatar) but it should still serve to know the potential of some units anyway, I think.

Edited by PKL

It's actually still processing but I'm gonna leave it here anyway.

I actually did the first part of map (before the map save) first try, no planning whatsoever, just improvisation. The part after the map save was actually a bit difficult to figure out without Caeda around because I wanted the units I'm gonna be using to each get a Thief kill. Sadly, there was no way to do the chapter without Athena getting the Katarina kill, what a waste of exp...considering she leaves and comes back too late to be salvageable.

Prologue 8 is completed in 14 turns, which brings the final Prologue TC to: 59 turns

Wow, that's pretty bad. I blame Archer Avatar.

After this, I'm actually quite glad I'm using Ryan as Chapter 1 would've been impossible with only Marth Arran Gordin and Cecille. But having 2 Archers with a great Bow forge makes it possible. I'm actually gonna allow myself to use Avatar as a Cleric until Wrys rejoins.

EDIT: I'm also really really really glad I saved that one vulnerary use in Prologue 3 by fort stalling because that was extremely close in Prologue 8.

Edited by PKL

great job bro!

maingame is gonna be interesting

Thanks! Yeah, and fun too, it's kinda like a draft at the beginning. It was fun figuring out how to tackle Chapter 1 with only 6 units.

Also, I think I should make more rules before I proceed further into maingame:

1. If a high tier unit is auto-deployed by the game in a chapter, that unit can be used for the remainder of that chapter. Ex: Catria, Palla, Sirius

Examples of not automatically deployed by the game: Malicia, village units etc.

2. I can actually deploy High Tier units, but they may never enter combat while equipped with a weapon or use staves on anyone or anything. This is in case someone of a higher tier is neccesary to recruit someone. Example: Caeda with Roger, Sirius with Nyna, etc.