H3 Mid Tiers no DLC, no Mixed Class Sets and no Lunatic statboosters

I needed Malicia in Chapter 1 or the map save part (with the fort) was impossible. So I guess I'm allowing village units to be used for the chapter. Sorry I havent uploaded the vid, I've had the first part (before map save) done for a while but was busy so I couldnt finish and noticed today that the map save portion needs a second healer. I'll try to upload the vid tomorrow. Trying to update as frequently as I can :P

EDIT: This might be the last rule fix, this mid tier stuff is new territory, so bare with me. I'll try not to change them from now on, the challenge playthrough is just starting anyway.

Edited by PKL

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First chapter of the maingame. I decided not to kill Lorenz even though I could because killing him is 1 turn slower in this case. The chapter was actually pretty difficult to figure out right from the start with no high tier combat units. I needed to be able to lure the axemen on the far right without dying and I needed them to be as far away as possible in Turn 2 EP, otherwise bad stuff would happen. I was lucky enough to have a 22 HP and 6 Def Cecille for this chapter, (to be fair its just +1 HP but it mattered) she could tank 1 hit from the Axe enemies. I highly doubt the chapter would've been possible had Cecille not been able to tank axes.

Good thing I remembered seeing this archer fort strat in Irysa's playthrough. I think it would've been pretty much impossible to do it any other way with this team.

Chapter 1 is completed in 14 turns

Note: It was possible to kill Lorenz with a combination of Arran's Silver Lance, Ryan and Gordin with the Bow forge and Marth Rapier. But I deemed it wasn't worth the turn lost. It's possible to get the kill with Mid Tiers only.

EDIT: It's so tempting to allow Malicia's Hammerne >_<

EDIT 2: Yeah, I originally intended to kill Lorenz but after the map save I changed my mind.

Edited by PKL

Holy fuck, I'm credited for something in someone else's playthrough? x_x

Nice split at the start, Arran is such a bro. Is Tears gonna be your staffbot until Wrys and Yumina join?

Also, here's a suggestion for Hammerne; Malicia has to be used a mage (or something else but I dunno if she can even get any kills in another class lmao) until you get her into a promotion to use staves. Getting her 9 levels on Lunatic in this kind of run without any Cleric at E tomes seems like it would be hard enough to justify it haha.

Edited by Irysa

No.

No Hammerne use. You can do Lunatic without it.

Rescue is only needed for a few chapters :

- Chapter 4

- Chapter 6x

(-Chapter 8)

(-Chapter 9 to save turns)

(-Chapter 10 to save Merric)

- Chapter 15 to rescue Est

- Chapter 20 to rescue Midia

The other Rescues can be used to save turns. Hammerne makes it easier, that's all.

Edited by Nintales

Holy fuck, I'm credited for something in someone else's playthrough? x_x

Nice split at the start, Arran is such a bro. Is Tears gonna be your staffbot until Wrys and Yumina join?

Also, here's a suggestion for Hammerne; Malicia has to be used a mage (or something else but I dunno if she can even get any kills in another class lmao) until you get her into a promotion to use staves. Getting her 9 levels on Lunatic in this kind of run without any Cleric at E tomes seems like it would be hard enough to justify it haha.

Yeah, you are. Your strat made the chapter possible :P

Arran is the best.

Yeah, she is going to be staffbotting until Wrys/Yumina join and then she'll be benched.

That does seem like a challenging suggestion for Malicia but idk man, i'd rather allow it or ban it.

Eh, I'd allow base Malicia Hammerne staff usage, just because Hammerne's a pain like that.

Yeah, Hammerne saves like 10 turns, Oh well.

No.

No Hammerne use. You can do Lunatic without it.

Rescue is only needed for a few chapters :

- Chapter 4

- Chapter 6x

(-Chapter 8)

(-Chapter 9 to save turns)

(-Chapter 10 to save Merric)

- Chapter 15 to rescue Est

- Chapter 20 to rescue Midia

The other Rescues can be used to save turns. Hammerne makes it easier, that's all.

Yeah, I guess I'll keep the banned Hammerne. It's not technically needed but I would've rather saved the turns with it around.

Chapter 2 is going to be a pain for you.

Both of your archers are doubled by Dracos. You'll need to forge another Iron Bow and reclass Arran and Cecille to Archer.

Catria can kill the thief, so getting the Lady Sword is not a problem.

Good luck for this one.

My least favorite chapter strikes again! I somehow managed it with this team, though at the cost of 7 turns. Cecille is getting all the good levels this run.

Arran is the best unit ever. Gordin somehow got a good level with those growths, Cord got a good level somehow, Marth got a terrible level and Ryan, who usually does well for me, is now below his spd average.

Note: Dracoknights can and will get 10 spd, at least one of the four around the boss almost always has 10 spd. At least one of the four must have 10 spd and cecille had to proc spd mid chapter with her 75% spd growth for her to be able to 3RKO the Dracoknight she needed to KO. If she hadnt gotten str along with it, Catria would've intervened with a bit of chip so she could finish him off.

Chapter 2 is completed in 13 turns.

How big a deal was that Marth rapier crit? Like, what would you have done without that?

Good job though, I guess I was wrong, Arran was MVP.

How big a deal was that Marth rapier crit? Like, what would you have done without that?

Good job though, I guess I was wrong, Arran was MVP.

Hmm, good question, I didn't notice that. I guess I would've healed Marth with Tears and Ryan through vulneraries and ignore the Cavalier in the right with full HP. Then he would've gone for Tears most likely. And I think she could take a blow, gotta check, brb.

EDIT: Yeah, she would've hung on and since he goes first out of the cavaliers and soldiers, I think I would've been fine, as he would've gone for Tears first then

EDIT 2: I always got a different result with the AI movement and this one was new. I do have to wonder if this particular AI movement was only possible due to the crit though.

EDIT 3: Hmm yeah, that crit was needed with this movement. Lame. I got another AI movement in my other try where the cavalier wasn't that close, this time he decided to move further in and that's what caused this. Oh well, not like I'm gonna re-record. It was a rapier crit, it's not too bad.

Edited by PKL

Swordmaster Arran was an unexpected sight. He really is the MVP of all teams!

Are you planning on seriously using Cord and Gordin? Even with super forges, that sounds like it's going to be a pain. On that note, will you use the How's everyone stuff?

Edited by Vennobennu

Swordmaster Arran was an unexpected sight. He really is the MVP of all teams!

Are you planning on seriously using Cord and Gordin? Even with super forges, that sounds like it's going to be a pain. On that note, will you use the How's everyone stuff?

Well, I plan to use Cord and Gordin yeah. We'll see how Cord grows, if he grows well, he stays. I'm honestly not expecting anything from Gordin, probably gonna bench him when I don't need him anymore. Ryan seems to be in the same boat. If he keeps growing like this by the time I don't need him around, he's benched. And nah, How's everyone won't be a thing :P.

So, I just found out the Rapier crit was indeed needed for that enemy movement. Sucks, but at least I got through. Would've cared a bit more if i knew it was needed earlier, since I would've re-recorded until I got a more favorable enemy movement.

EDIT: Oh...I didn't ban How's everyone huh? :facepalm:

Edited by PKL

Quick update: Currently trying to figure out how low I can make Chapter 3 with the team. I know what to do with all the Dracoknights by now, the issue is after that, I can't get everyone (especially the Archers) to Julian's side to help out. I'm thinking of visiting the Door Key village with Marth and keeping it with someone on the lower end and using it eventually to take out the cavaliers and the boss, but then Matthis becomes an issue. Palla Arran Julian and Marth can't take on the Matthis cavs by their own on the north so I have to get creative, especially because there will be cavaliers and Dracos blocking Marth on his way to Julian too. If the trend continues, this will be double the minimum TC lol...so...33 turns or so? Much slow. Such depressing. Very Mid Tiers. So Tears. Wow.

Edited by PKL

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the 2 month hiatus. Wasn't really feeling like playing FE anymore in general. I tried playing this and the FE6 HM playthrough too a few days ago and quickly got bored. I feel obligated to finish this one though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm back. And yeah, I will continue this. I'll be playing for sure 3 chapters per Sunday. And upload them during the week. Might do more depending on my free time. :) Really interested to see if Cecille will become Catria-lite or not.

Chapter 3 stuff:

[spoiler=]

Sorry for the long absence. Was busy and also took a break from all Fire Emblem related things. I'm back now though and so is this playthrough. This chapter is pretty long. I cut out part of it because for like 7 turns or so, there's nothing but walking with units to their destination. It would've been kinda boring to watch that, so I cut it out.

Gordin went Myrmidon here because I need a unit that isn't doubled and isn't OHKO'd by the Dracoknights. I needed 3 units that can tank Dracoknights and if I had kept him as an Archer he would've been doubled and I would only have Cecil and Cord to tank them.
Cecil Gordin Warren Ryan and Linde handle Dracoknights pretty well. I had to move Arran far enough in Turn 1 in order to lure the mountain Dracoknights towards the main group, away from Palla. After the first wave of Dracoknights get taken care of, Palla has to flee from the cavaliers after dealing with the Thief that wants to explode Julian's village (so I can recruit him later).

But in doing so, she has to get in range of a single remaining Dracoknight in the mountains. Battling this Dracoknight triggers the other 3 northeast Dracoknights to move so I have to keep Linde Cecil Ryan Warren around for when that happens. The Cavaliers catch up with the group eventually and Cecil Palla Arran Marth Linde and Ryan finish them off. After that, Marth recruits Bord, who comes with a handy Hammer that can help with the bossfight at the end. I move Marth Arran Palla Cecil Linde and Bord clock-wise. Palla Cecil and Arran arrive first and they sit on forts to heal. Marth recruits Julian and Arran Palla and Cecil lure some Cavaliers and Matthis. Matthis is recruited by Julian and he chips the Ballista so Arran can finish it off. After that, the boss is taken care of by a combination of Marth w/Rapier, Linde with Aura and Bord with Hammer. My Marth got a crit on the boss, so Linde got the kill instead of Bord. It can also be done without Bord at all if Marth's Rapier is forged a bit or if Arran/Palla chug some vulneraries to chip him with Silver Lance.

Chapter 3 is completed in 26 turns

While not the best turncount, I'm happy with it because of the limitations of this playthrough. I don't have a perfect combatant such as Avatar and I also don't have Catria to help out with her movement and doubling.

http://youtu.be/YzI4hOssags

Chapter 3x stuff:

[spoiler=]

It's actually kinda hard to save Wrys with only Mid Tier units around. I forged Bord a +2MT Hammer because everyone in my team is 2HKO'd by a combination of a Knight+Archer. I had to make sure I didn't take any counters from the Knights at the start while also dealing with all 3 of them and one of the Archers. The Archer that survives can actually double Bord if he spawns with 10 spd, in my case, he spawned with 9 spd so I kept Bord a Fighter instead of reclassing to Pirate. (So lazy)

I made a few mistakes here at the end that are very benign: One was not noticing that Arran crit the Knight. I attacked with Ryan and noticed too late that he would be killed. Linde would've gotten more exp from the Knight kill than Ryan. The other is attacking the right Armor thinking I'd get more weapon experience over negligible combat experience for Cecil. If I had her finish off the Armor that Marth weakened she would've gotten the same amount of weapon experience and a little more exp (as well as another kill at the endgame statistics, that is totally important :P ). My excuse is that i'm rusty.

Chapter 3x is completed in 6 turns

Edited by PJSalt

Man you did a really good job on EXP distribution minmaxing on Chapter 3. I was fully expecting you to just go "fuck it" and let Palla deal with most things but you worked a good amount of it for the rest of your team who are actually going to be used. Great job! too bad it's offset by the sloppy chapter 3 distribution!

Cecille is doing tons of work too, although I worry about how long that Lady Sword is going to last...

Man you did a really good job on EXP distribution minmaxing on Chapter 3. I was fully expecting you to just go "fuck it" and let Palla deal with most things but you worked a good amount of it for the rest of your team who are actually going to be used. Great job! too bad it's offset by the sloppy chapter 3 distribution!

Cecille is doing tons of work too, although I worry about how long that Lady Sword is going to last...

Thanks. Yeah, that was super sloppy in Chapter 3x haha.

Cecil is doing like everything, its ridiculous. I hope Lady Sword will last me long enough until I don't need it. She's very close to being able to use Armorslayers, Killing Edge, Javelins and Steel Lances. She will probably manage with those until I get Malice's Lady Sword. It's the same with the bow forge, by the time it's broken, I can probably get by with Silver Bows (Jeorge exists and im pretty sure ryan will have the rank by chapter 9 for the dracoknights).

Not sure if Ogma will have the bow rank but i'll try.

EDIT: ACTUALLY yeah I should try to save some iron bow forge uses for Ogma lol.

Edited by PJSalt

Nice. Just a couple of questions. Which units do you plan to use as flying units (if at all?) Also, can you deploy units lower than mid tier? If so, are you going to use Est?

Minerva for sure and I plan on making Cecil a Falcoknight eventually. Not sure If I can make it there without promoting her earlier but we'll see. Frey/Roger might also see use as Dracos. I'm pretty sure I won't use Est. Even in the event that Cecil has to go dracoknight, the next best Falcoknight options would probably be Malice or Athena and they would cost a ton of money to drill ground too.