FE6 HM: Crappy Units Bonanza!

Oshimos

53 members have voted

1. 1. Should I take Karel to final?

• Yeah, look how low tier he is!
    • No, use the guys you've struggled with for the whole game

Originally the owners of the weapons were allies so it made sense.

And in Bern's Defense they were holding 2 of the weapons in their own hands and the likelyness of the others being gathered by the enemy were slim. With 2 being practically lost with almost no knowledge where they are. (Axe and Anima tome)

Figures Roy & Co encounter the exact right ppl who DO know where they are. Ya for plot convenience.

I think he's referring to the Scouring and how the weapons made solely for killing dragons are in control of the dragon stronghold.

My guess: they buried it post Scouring and used the weapons as a key 'cause why the hell not?

Edited by bottlegnomes

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here it is, the penultimate chapter. It’s kinda sad that things are coming to an end, since after this there’s just the dragon-filled plot hall and Idenn’s room of failure.

[spoiler=Chapter 23]

aG6RTS1.png0VxKOEv.png

Game’s over; everybody go home.

ehF0w2z.png

Roy, you’ve already got Sophia, do you really need another quiet purple-haired dragon girl in a cloak?

ByMqRUh.png

It’s just Brunja with a sheet over her head going “Ooooooo”

P9Qwaff.png

More poeticism

t401ekR.png

Hello chest hair

zGujhrw.pngBxgyoci.png

If your chances are that low, I’m pretty sure you’ve gotta give that title up.

qLkKN4K.pngSGIxLRM.png9svEO0F.png

You are the only girl in the whole army, after all.

SIhvuSO.png

Bern is actually Canada.

KZ5JFO0.pngQ4yA9S2.png

Not like, fielded and helping here, but like, metaphorically here.

EzZQBDV.pngXn6tGS1.png

The chapter begins with the appearance of friendly old Karel.

yM6ldzk.png

"Only I spent the entire thing on the bench just kinda watching instead."

uNuSYTV.pngDxa2RrU.pngi5rA9eR.pngrOwRM6R.png

He really mellowed with age.

Hm9ghcQ.png

He also became not useless. 7 Karel would kill for these bases.

And so he did.

zir05OH.png

Hammerne for the titular blade.

QgkxqZz.png

Barth does what he does best: goes off on his own and holds off an orgy of wyverns while the rest of the army actually does stuff

ikxgSot.png5QXnGtS.png

Roy’s got enough strength to kill with a regular sword. I’m so proud.

5TTTjRx.pngY4h2nQN.png

She missed one of the shots. :S

Fsw4EJa.png

I could just kill it with abruptly competent Wendy’s Maltet, but…

iR4iH04.pngtYPE8IC.pngnVGoJZY.png

Aww yiss. How many people can say they’ve killed a dragon with Cath? Not many, I’d wager.

v6Xtojl.pngwQIPj9O.png

Also: she one-rounds wyvern knights.

mrttGC4.png2hnaHZP.png

Giving the legendary weapons effective damage against pretty much every endgame mob was kind of a dumb idea on the part of the designers if they wanted lategame to pose any threat at all.

FNURgH3.png

This ballista guy was getting on my nerves.

K0y56aX.png

Barth hits double S

zGpZB74.png

One level to go. Unless he gets speed he might as well already be there

cz09HF0.pngVstEMzP.png

I’m pretty sure Hugh has enough Speed to double the dragons in the next chapter, but I won’t complain about more

OXGW0Zh.pngslMJWVV.png

This guy’s trying to mess up my fun, but I’m not gonna let him

At4Bkmp.pngk84UoEk.png

Durandal’s actually a hella good weapon, what with its 90 hit and essentially 22 might. Roy can just dual wield.

Also, more Strength on Roy, sweet

Nk8vaso.png

This shot isn’t important but it’s a sick shot of the wyvern

ZxGN28k.png

I take back every mean thought I’ve ever had about the Light Brand before this chapter. Which was a lot, because I thought it was essentially useless.

o7pAevu.png

Less than fun fact: the Binding Blade doesn’t have effective damage on wyverns like the other legendary weapons, only on Manaketes.

TsgqHNx.pngnT9huWf.png

Barth’s last level kinda sucks

J0Jvniq.png

Sophia spends the next six turns stickbaiting

l3kd0lU.png

I only needed to restore her once

btWyCpL.png

Also, I had one statbooster left. Juno was just awkwardly holding on to it for the whole chapter

5mXR2AF.png

*Procs Aether*

R72UKNy.png

Okay, seriously, what’s with all the enemies who charge at you and don’t attack?

tOv3l2Y.pngScPJExS.png

Roy level

dgG8mOS.png

Look, it’s Bern’s ghost!

wzZdKHC.pngmvgz6dP.png

Sophia’s last level. At least it’s the stat she needs most.

Y0kgohH.png6KKGrX0.pngsFflPB4.png

I really wanted to steal her completely useless Guiding Ring, but that would have involved either putting Cath into Bolting Range or actually giving Brunja a chance to fight back.

8mNNI4T.pngEFAQDBF.png

*single tear*

x5FjJeC.png

Her parting gift was this fantastic level

EyL7m3o.png

And with that, the last real chapter’s over

mqwewYb.pngUtZCqzB.pngShDbOS4.pngjo2arKO.png

Ninian feels more canon in 7, but Lyn definitely feels more canon in 6.

x0vlZNh.pngVMKQRCv.pngEBbTcKD.png

Or, like, any tomes, since they’ve got shit Res and 1 range. If only my whole army was a bunch of Sophias. I doubt anyone has ever thought before.

Also, with the end of this chapter, it's time to check the poll and see what y'all ended up choosing wrt Karel.

It's a tie. 21 for, 21 against. I'm gonna throw my own vote in and...

vote no

I've been using these guys for so long, it only feels right to use them through to the end. See y'all tomorrow for the not so shocking conclusion

Giving the legendary weapons effective damage against pretty much every endgame mob was kind of a dumb idea on the part of the designers if they wanted lategame to pose any threat at all.

You've already gotten through the hardest bit of the game. The chapter is the remnants of Bern's smashed up army, I'd say it's not meant to be actually difficult to progress through. However conserving Divine Weapon use is somewhat helpful for the final chapter.

As for Zeph not giving exp, he can theoretically be a final boss and tbh, final bosses in FE games SHOULDN'T be giving EXP because nothing ruins the moment more than "boopboopboopboopboopboopboopboopboop DUN DA DOO DA DOO DUUUN"

Edited by Irysa

As for Zeph not giving exp, he can theoretically be a final boss and tbh, final bosses in FE games SHOULDN'T be giving EXP because nothing ruins the moment more than "boopboopboopboopboopboopboopboopboop DUN DA DOO DA DOO DUUUN"

Medeus from FE11 wants a word with you.

I'm glad I read through all of this. It's refreshing in terms of commentary, units used, and the fact that it's actually going to be finished.

o7pAevu.png

Less than fun fact: the Binding Blade doesn’t have effective damage on wyverns like the other legendary weapons, only on Manaketes.

This is the absolute dumbest thing I've ever heard relating to Fire Emblem, and I honestly don't think I'm exaggerating. Really, IS, really? Why?

Welp, here it is at last, the end of the game. It’s been a fun ride, but everything’s gotta end sometime, right?

[spoiler=Chapter 24]

Jq09DOH.png

I wonder what we could possibly find there?

49h3CvR.png

Here’s the final crew. Bors and Wolt get the bench in favour of vastly superior characters, such as Cath.

HyTmh3I.png

Nice alliteration

dIeVb3j.pngLeUc06Y.png

90% of Roy’s lines in this chapter are either a variation on “What?” or something Jahn just said with a question mark after it.

XxMdxYk.pngzcFdaKg.png

*Sex joke*

9XfGYxZ.png

Why did they have to make that a 1 square opening? It serves no purpose other than to slow you down before you’ve even started.

HQCZWbf.png

Barth is a ridiculous tank with Armads.

nlg4uBD.png

He also can’t double around half of the dragons.

z99D1rm.png

This playthrough has been severely lacking in shots of Apocalypse looking fantastic

i8yyCYF.png

Might as well use the last few Warps I’ve got left.

vcpL14o.pnglKWfIyx.png

oops.png

UYApmcM.pngZ8dAmbp.png

It’s the end of the game, so it doesn’t really matter, but it’s still kinda disappointing

VZMUxYg.pngwL4Vu2r.png

Worst chapter design.

TWo3ZAn.pngSV53G5s.png

Obligatory dragonslayer Cath shots

tTk6wIb.png

Third Hammerne goes to Armads

VEGWaPX.png

And that’s the last Warp, too

kLyIalM.png

Ya done good, kid

iliLjnV.png

The Binding Blade was actually pulled from the bad fanfic dimension.

sSV4crO.png

If the dragons are all “I have no emotions” then why is Fa so emotional? An argument could be made for the halflings, since they’ve got human in them, but she’s a pure blood.

lWFD6vf.pngYXDz3Gm.pnghzuxEFp.pngPSykfyH.pngdWMBlF0.png

Ridiculously last-minute A support

KtoGLeb.png

Thank god

how8VAu.pngn6ZzLod.png

Hugh is only allowed to proc one of Mag, Spd, or Def, even to the end.

xXkmWqG.png

Well sorry it took so damn long to make it to you.

V60Q9Xb.pngoNeDgJF.pngjDB2dMB.png

One talking dragon down, one to go

uplsYOn.png2Ii7WT3.png

Aww

ItIW3jK.png

*Insert link to Bad Dragon here*

(Please please please don’t go to Bad Dragon)

d6vg9nb.pngH0VD0H6.pngd3eOh1I.png

“Me Roy. Me no kill dragon.”

[spoiler=Final]

2I171eE.png

This is it

lxsh5yt.pnghTW0K6G.png

Good counterargument, Roy.

K2bEB6G.png

Obligatory hoodless Idun shot

qLJmUzg.pngelk6EEi.png

580qQfz.pngpYsyHsX.png

f8fjOic.pngn8VfNhw.png

kv6aa6y.pngfqibKBc.png

KOndSq2.pngLon5Fhs.png

Pre battle quotes. Bet y’all haven’t seen Cath’s before, at the very least.

AlfTJoe.png

Sorry Athos

txHno2v.png

I didn’t know it was possible to have a Roy who couldn’t one-round Idun

Nd08u1F.png

The waifu saves the day

kXNBqHU.pngUyExcBf.png

True end get

aDEuIDE.pngSK26zA7.png

Roy, Cecilia and Douglas were two of the highest ranking soldiers in the Etrurian Army. With your shitty stats, you’d fit right in.

MMLubkd.png

Y’know, just wandering through this desert

RKNy1V9.pngSy0CnoI.pngWS3y8jT.png

zUE3MyV.png

I’ll have a unit analysis and closing thoughts really soon, so stick around for them.

And that’s the end. I’m sad to see it go. Before I get carried away saying much more, here’s stats and stuff:

[spoiler=Game Stats]

K2faqzA.png

6X4pSR6.png

bCqDXnM.png

NyGkEj2.png

xr0Yfnx.png

Here’s my turncounts, in case you were wondering. I started off really slow, but things went pretty much where they’d be expected to be in a casual playthrough once I got going, other than the chapters where I grinded for supports.

6JzFQGR.png

And that’s my final ranking. Pretty good, imo, especially given what I had to work with.

[spoiler=Awkwardly Long Character Analysis]

eyro30z.pngiDJsKyY.png

Roy was bad. That’s really all there was to it. Nobody should ever get a Roy with 8 Strength at 20/0. Plus, most of that Speed growth was post promotion, plus he got a wings and a robe. That said, he was invaluable in the early game for being my only sword user, and especially for getting the killing edges, which I quite probably wouldn’t have been able to win without.

KnRtpBr.pngukpJapD.png

Wade was really good from around 1/5 of the way through the game until 4/5 of the way through the game, and that’s when I needed someone to be really good. He was definitely the midgame MVP, but 15 speed left him behind Dorothy in damage output at the end when he essentially became a heavy Sniper rather than an axeman.

0MBR2WD.pngwU6fupC.png

Barth was amazing for around the third quarter of the game, what with his stupidly high defence and strength and FE6’s extreme shortage of magic users that aren’t staff Druids. He was a tank in the true sense of the term, taking tons of hits and dealing back heavy damage but not actually securing many kills due to his pitiful speed. I’ve never thought of a pure tank as useful in Fire Emblem before, but Barth was a huge help.

dBC8caq.pngnyrbACR.png

Wendy was so, so bad, and then I fed her that Energy Ring and she started getting strength procs. Her highest speed of the armours made her the best Maltet user, and she was actually pretty useful in the last few chapters. Before that she was just there for rare triangle attacks and being fed everything, though, so she wasn’t really worth it.

piJfEm0.pngE6guQRa.png

Dorothy was another unit who started off pretty bad and then became good, only she took off as soon as she promoted and never looked back. Add that on to bows being way better in 6 than in most other games, and it made Dorothy one of my best units in the later half of the game.

u8dbhv1.pngFbi2O7I.png

Sophia started off the worst, got fed every stat booster, was still the worst, got fed a bunch of kills, and then became the best unit in my army, bar none. She’s the only character who had that overpowered Fire Emblem feel. Y’know, the kind of unit who you throw into a gaggle of enemies and they’re the only one left standing on the next player phase. Plus, even with only E staves, she was healing for 40 with Heal, so she had great utility. Also, she’s best waifu.

VQHr96h.png0MtHDAi.png

I have mixed feelings about Hugh. On one hand, he was one of my better units and hitting Res makes you good no matter what. On the other hand, he wasn’t actually good. All of his stats were too middle of the road to really do anything. He couldn’t actually finish anything off, and he never dodged anything. He has a sick colour palette, though, and being related to Canas gives points too.

RbK8L0h.pngaRHUwrN.png

Oh Saul. You would have been so good if I’d been allowed to promote you. As it stood, physic support was invaluable to the point that I would even call it necessary, but his magic was just a little too low.

1kTtSXN.pnggFylm1q.png

Cath best thief

WoRlOL4.pngQkZ5Edg.png

I’m really glad I was allowed to use Lalum. She made a bunch of difficult plays more doable, and allowed me to be a bit more aggressive in situations that I would have had to turtle otherwise.

pXcJL53.png

Bors was super good early and then just fell off hard a little past halfway through the game. He got a ton of strength procs and hit C axes almost immediately after promoting for Killer Axes, but it just wasn’t enough in the end. Wade and Barth both made better heavy attackers, and while he had higher speed, it still wasn’t high speed, so he just kinda got left behind.

PtpNc48.pnghPeExWm.png

Wolt was another unit who was pretty good early, then bad later. His support with Roy was really helpful back in the stages where crits could mean the difference between life and death, but when my archers promoted, they just kinda switched which one was the good one.

aW5BXdS.png

Juno was quite honestly only useful for ferrying Roy into Sophia’s support range every now and then, plus a few other flying+canto related things. Combat-wise, she’s intentionally terrible. She will never wield Durandal.

k6E57OY.pngOwROyWZ.png

I had high hopes for Geese and he killed every single one of them my not gaining strength and speed.

hzsbX2X.pngein5zXD.png

Douglas is just bad.

EzSr1zK.pngwSObwM2.png

Clarine was an extra Restore Staff once or twice, but that’s about it.

F27tQ3D.png

Elen was so bad I didn’t even remember to cap her ending panel because it was so low under people I had to deploy to recruit random other units. 50% Mag growth my ass.

And that’s it. Thanks a ton to everyone who commented along the way or even anyone who just read the whole thing. I’ve never done something like this before and I was kind of worried I’d just be typing these things up at nobody, but all of the responses were really nice. If you’ve been thinking of playing 6 Hard Mode before, I definitely suggest trying it out; once you get past chapter 5 (which, imo, is the hardest chapter in the game by a pretty easy margin), it gets a lot easier and is pretty much 8 Hard Mode level except there are a bunch of status staves lategame and you never face 7 Mag Luna Druids.

I’ve had a lot of fun playing through this and writing these posts up, so I’ve been thinking of doing another one of these eventually. I’ve kinda been leaning towards FE3 semi-blind, since I’ve never seen one done for 3 on here and I hate the aesthetics of the DS Fire Emblems. I’d just have to figure out how to make snes9x screenshots not be the size of a small town, which is probably pretty easy.

Anyway, thanks again, and I hope you’ve enjoyed reading through!

Congratulations!

Also I feel really bad on how your roy turned out, I actually started replaying this game (thanks in part to yours and some other fun lps) and my roy is at like 9 strength at lvl like 6 (granted that is unusual but still).

Also Cath is best thief.

Probably because it wasn't meant to beat those dragons.

The other holy weapons weren't either.

Welp, here it is at last, the end of the game. It’s been a fun ride, but everything’s gotta end sometime, right?

Everything dies, baby, that's a fact. But maybe everything that dies someday comes back. Put your make up on, fix your hair up pretty, and please, please do the FE3 LP.

Congrats on beating it, and it was a very fun read.

That was a good read overall (even though I only read assorted chapters at random; I really should go through the whole thing sometime)! You should like, do more FE playthroughs. Because this one was pretty cool. Don't do an FE11/FE12 worst units playthrough though, because you'll have to Marth solo until like Chapter 9.

The question to "What game should you do next?" has only 1 answer. Or, to put it another way, it has 776 answers.

(And they're all Thracia).

That said, I enjoyed this LP so I'd watch you do any other game.

Edited by WeaponsOfMassBaldrick