Question about unit growths

I'm playing PoR on hard mode at the moment with random growths for the second time.

I expected that random growths work like in other FE parts. The growths of the units influence their level ups. http://www.serenesforest.net/fe9/fixed.htm

But in this run most of my level ups are extremly strange:

Jill always level ups in magic instead of strength and defense, while Soren and Ilyana have ridiculous high strength growth. Level 19 Ilyana has almost as much strength (8) as Nephenee and Oscar (both 10).

I know I could spend bexp to my units to prevent bad level ups or giving them status items, but I want to save them till the finale.

And in general the level ups remind me on Shadow Dragon. Unlike in FE10 my units often get 2-3 stats in their level ups in average. The only ones good characters are Ike and Rolf at the moment.

So my question is, if these growths/level ups are normal in FE9?

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

I'm just a tiny bit confused.

So you're playing on Random Mode, right? But why did you link to the Fixed Mode page on the site? That stuff has nothing to do with Random Mode, unless my memory fails me.

Disregarding that point...

But in this run most of my level ups are extremly strange:

Jill always level ups in magic instead of strength and defense, while Soren and Ilyana have ridiculous high strength growth. Level 19 Ilyana has almost as much strength (8) as Nephenee and Oscar (both 10).

This sounds normal to me, not in a "yeah, those characters usually gain those kind of stats" way, but "character growth is random, so expect random occurrences" kind of way.

I'm just a tiny bit confused.

So you're playing on Random Mode, right? But why did you link to the Fixed Mode page on the site? That stuff has nothing to do with Random Mode, unless my memory fails me.

Disregarding that point...

This sounds normal to me, not in a "yeah, those characters usually gain those kind of stats" way, but "character growth is random, so expect random occurrences" kind of way.

Yeah, it's the "fix mode" site, but random growths is also explained:

Random mode is the traditional method of levelling up- used in each of the previous Fire Emblem games, as well as your first playthrough of this game. Every character possesses a set of hidden "growth rates", one for each stat. Each growth rate is the percentage chance of the character increasing that particular stat during a level up. For example if a character has 70% growth in magic, statistically speaking, 70 times out of 100 they will gain a +1 in magic during a level up. Random numbers are used to determine stat rises.

Or do I confound things?

My problem is that most of my units don't level up in the stats, they have good growths.

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

All my units are promoted now. Godthanks the level are better now. Especially my both fliers Jill and Marcia get points in strength.

However I had to drop Nephenee, because she got one stat in HP 3(!) times in a row. She was absolute terrible. The bad thing is that I wasted "adept" on her.

Just give Ilyana a knife and have her merc foolz

She's promoted now, I gave her staves. She wouldn't do any damage except against mages and swordmasters maybe. However the sages shall use magic to reach weapon level A/S as soon as possible.