Updated Mystery of the Emblem Fan Translation [version 0.14 released]

Quirino

This patch has a translated title screen so it might be worth looking at.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/356/

Yes actually that will do quite well.

I haven't looked at the Marth name thing but I think I might be able to "fix" it by removing the shield from his name?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually yeah, that's pretty nice! i'd definitely recommend narrowing the space between the "FIRE" and the "EMBLEM", though, since they look a bit awkwardly far apart

funnily enough i was just about halfway done with my concept for a logo. just as well, it's not all that good

LUtkDOh.png

Edited by bookofholsety

that was my worry as well, and considering the patch is fifteen years old and its readme states the group who did it quit any further work soon after its release, i'm not liking the odds

that said, the readme does give a full name for the logo's creator, which could make finding them again a bit easier:

-Main title screen translated (thanks to Neill Corlett)

Neill Corlett is a pretty big dude in the fan translation scene for romhacking. He worked with tomato on Bahamut Lagoon, as well as DeJap, and also on a couple other Square games. You can contact tomato, who runs Legends of Localization at the moment, if you wanna try and get in contact.

Wow that's fast. Thanks a lot guys for your support :)

And yeah, it would be cool if you could send a patch this way (along with instructions how to include it in the new version of the patch ^^').

@Bookofholsety: That looks really nice. It was how I imagined the title screen as well hehe. With the Kana replaced by 'Fire Emblem' and the English text in the original title screen removed.

edit: and having the emblem/binding shield removed in Marth's name seems fine to me. The Emblem/Binding Shield is in his inventory anyway. However, before he receives the Emblem in both books, there are those two blank spaces after his name, so those should be removed as well I suppose.

2evzvag.png

edit2: I uploaded a video of the final battle against Medeus. Because final battles are always the most exciting ones to watch :p

Edited by Quirino

Quirino, is your patch for the v1.0 or v1.1 FE3 ROM? Because I tried applying it to one of my ROM and I can't progress past the new game select.

And here's a patch with the title screen. This one is for a clean, headered v1.1 ROM, though you should be able to apply it to an already patched ROM with few issues. (I tested with the old trasnlation and it seemed to work fine)

title.ips.tar.gz

Edited by shinpichu

Thanks a lot shinpichu! It seems to work well on the already translated version.

The patch is for a headered v1.0 FE3 rom (though I'll probably add more options when the -final- patch is released). Exactly what goes wrong?

edit: I will try contacting Neill Corlett. Just in case it's a good idea to ask for permission to use it.

Edited by Quirino

Thanks a lot shinpichu! It seems to work well on the already translated version.

The patch is for a headered v1.0 FE3 rom (though I'll probably add more options when the -final- patch is released). Exactly what goes wrong?

I can get to the new game screen...but I can't select the new game option. Plus the box where the text would be is incredibly small and empty.

If it's for 1.0 then that's the issue. All my ROMs are 1.1 since that's what's on the JP Brawl disc.

Edit: also if bookofholsety could send me the different components of his title screen (big text, small text) all separated then I could work on getting that inserted in case there's some issue using the title screen from the other patch.

Edited by shinpichu

I can get to the new game screen...but I can't select the new game option. Plus the box where the text would be is incredibly small and empty.

If it's for 1.0 then that's the issue. All my ROMs are 1.1 since that's what's on the JP Brawl disc.

Edit: also if bookofholsety could send me the different components of his title screen (big text, small text) all separated then I could work on getting that inserted in case there's some issue using the title screen from the other patch.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wl82b13xh5xnb9r/updatev0.12+for+1.1+roms.ips There is one for headered 1.1 roms. Hope it works fine now.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wl82b13xh5xnb9r/updatev0.12+for+1.1+roms.ips There is one for headered 1.1 roms. Hope it works fine now.

Yes, it seems to work now. Thanks!

I'll see about that Marth name thing within a few days.

Edit: And by a few days I mean now.

Go to 0x00CE26 (in a headered rom) and change the value there from D0 to 80. this will make Marth's name display like normal & without the shield.

Edited by shinpichu

Yes, it seems to work now. Thanks!

I'll see about that Marth name thing within a few days.

Edit: And by a few days I mean now.

Go to 0x00CE26 (in a headered rom) and change the value there from D0 to 80. this will make Marth's name display like normal & without the shield.

Thank you very much for your help! And wow, you figured it out fast as well! If I may ask (and if it's not too complicated) how did you find the solution to this? Because I was unable to find it.

Thank you very much for your help! And wow, you figured it out fast as well! If I may ask (and if it's not too complicated) how did you find the solution to this? Because I was unable to find it.

I just used Geigers SNES debugger and checked for reads to $7F4416, which is the position in memory where the index of the characters name is stored. Then I started changing the value there to see which one was shortening Marth's name. Edited by shinpichu

Text is as good as done now. One thing that is still untranslated occurs in the ending of both books:

2nkt6ya.png

It's a piece of text that tells you how many characters you recruited and how many of them died (in this case 2). The left entry is in the current translation patch, the right entry is in the original Japanese. I am yet trying to figure out exactly what happened to the text to be so messed up there and hopefully I can change it to something neat.

Text is as good as done now. One thing that is still untranslated occurs in the ending of both books:

2nkt6ya.png

It's a piece of text that tells you how many characters you recruited and how many of them died (in this case 2). The left entry is in the current translation patch, the right entry is in the original Japanese. I am yet trying to figure out exactly what happened to the text to be so messed up there and hopefully I can change it to something neat.

It's a minor issue, so I would probably release the patch as it is right now, since from my understanding it's all but done, and update after you figure out how to fix this issue. Also, I'm with the people who want a version with NA names, as I much prefer those ones, especially Archanea, Navarre, and Macedon.

Oh hey, we're back.

I have an update on the Marth name thing. I figured out how to get the shield to display in the info screen without cutting off Marth's name.

1. go to 0x00CE06.
2. change the value from 0x05 to 0x07
3. go to 0x00CE29
4. change the value from 0x05 to 0x07

5. If 0x00CE26 is not 0xD0, make sure it is.
6. Profit!

Edit: This is for a headered ROM btw.

Edited by shinpichu

Ah perfect, thanks a lot! Looks better this way :)

I've been slacking off a couple of days now but today I will edit the final final final bits of text: the death quotes. After this is done, everything's finished and all that's left to do is beta play and I'll just make it an open beta play. So expect a patch soon!

Oh hey, we're back.

I have an update on the Marth name thing. I figured out how to get the shield to display in the info screen without cutting off Marth's name.

Fantastic! Best of both worlds now!

Once the updated patch with book 2 comes out I can't wait to play this patch. I considered playing FE3 before FE12 but disregarded it, but hey since there's a shiny new patch for playtesting I'll give it a shot. Especially since I have little familiarity with the SNES titles. Thank you Quirino and Vincent!

Should be fun considering FE3 is my favorite and all of the older patches were an eyesore, this once looks nice. Also I prefer the EU names since stuff like Dolhr looks stupid.

If FE3 is your favorite, you should give the Biraku patch a try. It has new characters and plot, and rearranged maps :)

Um

FireEmblem3016_zps9be4cfff.png

This is Abel's book 2 recruitment conversation with Abel

This isn't translated in the old translation either it seems.

Will this be fixed in the next version of your patch?

I have a save file if you need one.

FE3AbelEstTalk.zip

Um

FireEmblem3016_zps9be4cfff.png

This is Abel's book 2 recruitment conversation with Abel

This isn't translated in the old translation either it seems.

Will this be fixed in the next version of your patch?

I have a save file if you need one.

Oh, thought I mentioned it already, but it has been translated already :) Thanks for mentioning it anyway! If anyone comes across anything that has not been translated either please mention it.

Anyway, death quotes are in. I got Neill Corlett's email from Tomato and awaiting his response with respect to the title screen. And still figuring out what RPGuy did to mess up the ending so badly hehe.

edit: I'm still stuck with one of the class names: armour knights. In almost all Fire Emblem games they are simply called 'knights', but dismounted pegasus/dracoknights/cavaliers/paladins already have the name 'Knight'. I would go with simply 'Armour Knight', but in PoR and RD, these units were called 'Lance Armour'. Which one would you prefer? I don't think 'Armour Knight' was ever used as an official class name right?

Edited by Quirino

i'd recommend calling armour knights "armor knight" or something to the general effect of its japanese name (i personally kinda favour "heavy knight", which is what they were called in jp!fe9), and letting the dismounted knights take the "knight" name. consistency with other games' translations is nice, but considering there aren't many other options for the dismounted knights that don't sound somewhat silly, the need for clarity in naming these shouldn't be sacrificed just for consistency

even though it's the only time something similar has been done in a legit english release, i'd advise against going with fe10's "armor lance" name, given it's named with weapon-type counterparts in mind and there's no sword or axe armours anywhere in fe3