Persona 5 Thread - New Teaser

Icarusu

Some new details have surfaced:

• Protagonist is a second-year student, and transfers into Shibuya during the start of the Spring term. There will be more than one location
  • He'll be living in a coffee shop owned by someone acquainted with his parent's
  • The protagonist "has some sort of problem that will lead to trouble down the line if he doesn't fight it. The part of the recent trailer that showed him imprisoned was a symbol for a “prison of mind”." (I decided to copy and paste it in case I accidentally butchered something)
  • Some dungeons will be randomly generated, whilst others will have a never-changing layout. The dungeon we saw in the most recent trailer was an example of the latter. These dungeons will also be places that a "phantom thief" would infiltrate
  • There WILL be something akin to Social Links in this game (probably the "cooperation" subtitle we saw)
  • Protagonist's Persona is named Arsene, who is apparently named after a famous fictional thief, Arsene Lupin

This picture was also from Famitsu

hUaoUhL.jpg

I should mention that this is a leak, and therefore more information could be revealed in the upcoming days

Edited by DodgeDusk

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing the character's Personas are going to be themed after the Goetia in P5, like how the character's Personas were based on Greek mythology in P3 and Japanese mythology in P4.

...And I was proven wrong by Dusk almost immediately. I'm guessing fictional characters based on lawbreakers are gonna be the Persona theme for these new guys.

Edited by FrostyFireMage

• The protagonist "has some sort of problem that will lead to trouble down the line if he doesn't fight it. The part of the recent trailer that showed him imprisoned was a symbol for a “prison of mind”." (I decided to copy and paste it in case I accidentally butchered something)

I'm wondering if this will have some sort of connection to how the protagonists summon their personas? Perhaps it will have a "save yourself" theme like P4's "accept yourself" theme. I think that sounds pretty cool personally. It would also tie in well to the crime breaking themes that the game is also having.

I somehow missed a lot of details. Source

• The two other human characters we saw also have their own life problems, that seemingly have no relation to the protagonist. The cat is "mysterious, can transform, and is key to the storyline"
  • Production I.G is the studio behind the animated cutscenes in Persona 5
  • The battle system, whilst having some changes, is still turn-based, to make it more enjoyable
  • The Personas are being rendered in high-definition
  • There are reasons as to why the enemies are Personas (note he didn't say demons), but said reasons were not expanded upon
  • The guns are not real, but are still effective weapons due to unexplained reasons (I'm guessing this is because Japan is pretty strict on the general public possessing guns. I'm aware guns are in the first two Persona games)
  • Working with "sympathisers" in the town will be advantageous in combat. The article said the Japanese literally says "cooperation", which is the same as the menu header from the trailer
  • The Social Link-like mechanic will be explored at a later date, but it will be different in some way. I'm guessing this altered mechanic has little to do with cooperation
  • The protagonist's passive nature is nothing but a ruse
  • "Arsene, meanwhile, is designed to be a little more old-school, including his name, though making the whole thing come together and look stylish with that sort of constraint wasn't without its share of challenges. Its cape / wings are meant to portray the image of a thief who lurks around places where normal people don’t belong." Again, I copy and pasted this

I wasn't that hyped before.

But DodgeDusk's posts are making more hype.

Must resist the hype!

Ah, yes, Arsène Lupin, like Lupin III. I want to say Lupin and Lupin III gave rise to Japan's sub-genre of gentleman thief of kaitō, or the phantom thief.

It's not the first time Atlus based a Persona on something more fictional (Alice), but I think it's the first time a main character starts with a fictional-based Persona. I wonder if the other users' Personas will be same case.

Can I expect a Carmen Sandiego or Robin Hood Persona?

I'm not sure if official scans are allowed to be linked or not, so I won't be forwarding a source this time. It's not that hard to find, though

• The article starts with the headline, "Steal back the future!" The protagonist will awaken to his Persona (who looks nothing like Persona 4's Izanagi, to my worry. Oozing with style) once certain events unfold, leaving the city with a dark figure, that he confronts
  • The group attend a private school called Shujin Academy. The name is based off the Japanese word for prisoner, Shuujin
  • The ending of the trailer shows the protagonist being swallowed in blue flames. This is him awakening to his Persona for the first time, as well as another side to his personality. It is suggested that the blue flames also turn into the masks
  • Sneaking can be used to avoid enemy confrontations
  • The All-Out mechanic seems to be unchanged in function and execution
  • Masks have a high chance of actually holding importance to the plot
  • The magazine hints that the cooperation menu IS replacing Social Links
  • The soundtrack is going for an Acid Jazz genre this time
  • Arséne has a top hat, black wings, and a red getup. He also wears a cravat. This correlates with Arséne Lupin's title as a Gentleman Thief

Judging from the pictures, there's one when the protagonist is in the train station of the 7th April. This might be the start date. Also, though it's hard to see it clearly, it looks like chains are involved with the summoning of Personas

Edited by DodgeDusk

• 4 months later...

So, Persona 5 didn't show up in Sony's E3 conference this year, to I think a lot of people's disappointment (I know I was). However, Atlus USA has now released the official website for the game. Link is below

http://www.atlus.com/persona5/home.html

While nothing new is shown, high-res art for the main protagonist and Arséne are featured. Also, there is a YouTube video on the website, though it is private, thus not available for viewing as of this time. However, some information regarding the game is supposedly coming out next week, so maybe it'll go public then. The site is still insisting that the game is coming out this year for America

Disclaimer: Despite no new information being shown, Nightmare has allowed me to revive this thread

So, Persona 5 didn't show up in Sony's E3 conference this year, to I think a lot of people's disappointment (I know I was). However, Atlus USA has now released the official website for the game. Link is below

http://www.atlus.com/persona5/home.html

While nothing new is shown, high-res art for the main protagonist and Arséne are featured. Also, there is a YouTube video on the website, though it is private, thus not available for viewing as of this time. However, some information regarding the game is supposedly coming out next week, so maybe it'll go public then. The site is still insisting that the game is coming out this year for America

Disclaimer: Despite no new information being shown, Nightmare has allowed me to revive this threadI'

I'll add the website to the main post just in case.

So disappointed :/

Still though, I've been pumped for this game since seeing the trailer from a while back. Love the Catherine-style graphics, and the anime scenes look like something from Bebop or Lupin III. Kind of looks like this game will be more devious and less corny than Persona 4, though obviously we don't know for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Somehow missed Icarusu's post. Oops

To make this post somewhat interesting, the MC rips off his mask to summon Arséne. It's very brief in the trailer, so it's easily missed

Edited by DodgeDusk

I'm surprised PV 02 trailer hasn't been linked yet, despite being around the Internet for just over two weeks

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2vbo65

Not a YouTube video since I don't think it's supposed to be revealed yet (reaction videos and analysis videos are on YouTube, but I'm not linking anything like that). You might have missed it, but the MC clearly rips off the mask during a battle cutscene to summon Arséne

Well, it's in the OP, so if anyone wants to see it they can just click first and see it.

Well, it's in the OP, so if anyone wants to see it they can just click first and see it.

huh

Oh, it is. I completely missed Icarusu's latest post. My bad

huh

Oh, it is. I completely missed Icarusu's latest post. My bad

It's cool.

Personally I'm more interested in this new blue haired guy. I'm rather torn on whether I should start analyzing all this promotional stuff. On the one hand: these trailers are super cool, and I want to understand them better. On the other: I want to go into this series completely blind, so I can better experience the surprises of the game. Hmm...decisions...

Sate yourself by playing either Persona 3 or 4; the stories of each installment don't mesh with each other, so you can still play 5 blind. Seriously, the two are fantastic games. I'd recommend playing 3 first, since going from 4 to 3 makes 3 awkward to play apparently(I wouldn't know, though I can see it being so)

Sate yourself by playing either Persona 3 or 4; the stories of each installment don't mesh with each other, so you can still play 5 blind. Seriously, the two are fantastic games. I'd recommend playing 3 first, since going from 4 to 3 makes 3 awkward to play apparently(I wouldn't know, though I can see it being so)

I would if I could. At the moment I don't have much money, and what I do have is going towards Fates, FF XV, and P5. Even thinking about getting all three of those games is kind of pushing it to be honest.

I would if I could. At the moment I don't have much money, and what I do have is going towards Fates, FF XV, and P5. Even thinking about getting all three of those games is kind of pushing it to be honest.

I like both games, i played p3 in psp, and still am playing 4 on ps2 since i got one randomly, however, i like persona 3 more since it was darker and persona 4 is just more happy and things don't totally crazy like persona 3

oh also, edit, about the trailer i'm glad it got out because i was wondering if we were actually going transform into the persona this time, but it was really just awesomeness effects

Edited by Icarusu

Check PSN often. It wasn't long ago (I think even the last sale) when Persona 3 FES was on sale for... I think $5?

They're both $10 digital and they have gone on sales before.

Though I don't know your budget. Just letting you know that they happen to go on sale often enough.

But yes, I would suggest going 3 FES first before 4 (you could go 3 Portable because it has the same system as P4 and does add some new features, but it's downgraded in other departments because of PSP limitations). They've added things in 4 that can make 3 FES hard to go back to for some (such as directly controlling allies).

Check PSN often. It wasn't long ago (I think even the last sale) when Persona 3 FES was on sale for... I think $5?

Though I don't know your budget. Just letting you know that they happen to go on sale often enough.

But yes, I would suggest going 3 FES first before 4 (you could go 3 Portable because it has the same system as P4 and does add some new features, but it's downgraded in other departments because of PSP limitations). They've added things in 4 that can make 3 FES hard to go back to for some (such as directly controlling allies).

You could also say that portable besides some features from 4 you also has female mode, and the ''downgraded'' part would be where from when controlling your character outside of the dungeon it becomes a point and click style unlike the ps2 version where you actually could move him around, not that its worst

Really? I didn't know that. However I've got a grand total of 20 bucks, and no steady source of income. So, spending it on two other games means I probably won't be able to get the other games I want, and I'm probably only going to get one of those three anyway. Definitely going to pick them up once I get a job though.

Edited by Honey Bunny

I think P3P is way better than FES despite the obvious shortcomings, but if PSN doesn't include psp games, then FES is fine.

I've wanted to play Persona 4 Golden, but the only way I can do that is buy a Vita to play just one game, which I'll never do. Really wish they'd port that to PS3/4 or 3DS.