Persona 5 Thread - New Teaser

Icarusu

[spoiler=new poster]f8YElVn.jpg

A new poster for Persona 5 is going to be part of a retail store promotion in Japan during the 17th and 19th of this month, saying that the period is a time where a Phantom Thief might appear. It's also interesting to note that the Tokyo Gaming Show is going on at the same time, and it's been confirmed that Persona will be having a presence (a live, streamed performance, if I recall correctly) Source for the poster is here (it no longer exists, for whatever reason)

Thoughts? I'm thinking Persona 5 news will definitely be shown, alongside a release date. If Atlus are adamant on the game being a 2015 for Japan and America, they haven't got a lot of time in this year left

(Again, Nightmare has allowed me to revive this topic)

Edited by DodgeDusk

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P5 and Genei Ibun Roku #FE will be shown. I got some images to blow yall's minds!

TGS-2015-Schedule-Ver.-1.png

Genei Ibun Roku is set to launch Dec 26th in Jap and comes with 4 pre-order costumes.

Atlus-FE-Costumes.jpg

For those who don't recognize it, the costumes are as follows, from Left to Right:

Flynn, the MC from SMT IV. The MC from Devil Survivor 2. Rei from Persona Q. The Princess class from Etrian Odyssey III/Etrian Mystery Dungeon.

There will also be a SE version called the 'Fortissimo' edition, which will run 9,968 yen, or about $80. It comes with:

• A special box illustrated by toi8 (the game’s character designer).
  • An original art book with various concept art and designs.
  • Original costume DLC codes (Fashion Show set, Girls Swimsuit Set, Boys Swimsuit Set).
  • Original soundtrack CD with 6 songs carefully selected among the game’s vocal tracks, including Kiria’s “Reincarnation” (by Yoshino Nanjo).
  • A ticket to the Genei Ibun Roku #FE live concert in Japan.

Fortissimo-Edition.png

Final Box Art:

bMNUvBI.png

Keep in mind this is all for the Jap version. No word on English versions or news on localization for either.

Edited by North888

I have hype for both equally, mostly because my girlfriend is gonna get P5 while I get IR#FE and we'll play 'em simultaneously. Fun nights up ahead.

But anyways, Persona 5 looks to be a dramatic shift from the P3/P4 formula, so that'll be interesting. Of course, we know practically nothing about the game beyond guesses from the two trailers, thanks to the IRON CURTAIN of Atlus's marketing engine, other then the fact it looks stylish as hell.

That's what the Atlus panel at TGS is gonna tell us.

TGS-2015-Schedule-Version-2.png

Atlus announces the announcement of the release date, the actual release date announcement never comes and the game just appears on PSN one day and only a month after that does Atlus notify everyone.

And everyone screams.

Jokes aside, I hope the concert has P5 music and the game is out soon. A…devoted fan thinks November 5th is a good date.

Atlus' Persona TGS Stream has started! It can be viewed on many different websites, though I'm watching it via Pepsiman's restream. The moment it started, footage of Persona 5's Velvet Room was shown:

[spoiler=Screenshots]ufaXXQ4.jpg

2FaJyTQ.jpg

That's looking really stylish, in my opinion. You guys excited?

EDIT: Someone recorded the opening teaser

New trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvpOwQaqRXA

[spoiler=Don't open until you've watched the trailer]I can't believe it got delayed to Summer 2016--and that's for Japan! And John Hardin was so adamant on the 2015 release

Edited by DodgeDusk

It looks suitably weird and Atlus-y. I'm a big fan of the environments, and I'm absolutely sure it's going to be fantastic game.

That said, I really hate that cat; it looks like yet another mascot created to be the face of the game, and I can't remember how many cat mascots I saw for different products while in Japan.

I'm also a bit unsure about the theme itself. While I'm no expert on the matter, I know there's a widespread belief that society is crumbling around them and that the next generation will be/is shit. and this seems like it'll portray that way of thinking in a very odd way. For instance, even though things like youth crime has been decreasing for a long time in Japan, most people are convinced otherwise, and now we'll be playing as criminals. Maybe I'm just overthinking things because of several recent disappointments in terms of video game stories.

So who wants to make bets on who the persona are?

Ryuji is the easiest to narrow down but the hardest to guess. There were a lot of famous pirates, but the one shown has no beard, so it cannot be Blackbeard. If you assume literature characters, he cannot be Long John Silver because he has no crutches or peg leg that we see, Nor does he have a hook like Captain hook, he has an eyepatch which probably rules out Captain Blood or Comte Monte Cristo, and that's the extent of my pirate knowledge.

The other two, I got no clue.

It looks suitably weird and Atlus-y. I'm a big fan of the environments, and I'm absolutely sure it's going to be fantastic game.

That said, I really hate that cat; it looks like yet another mascot created to be the face of the game, and I can't remember how many cat mascots I saw for different products while in Japan.

I'm also a bit unsure about the theme itself. While I'm no expert on the matter, I know there's a widespread belief that society is crumbling around them and that the next generation will be/is shit. and this seems like it'll portray that way of thinking in a very odd way. For instance, even though things like youth crime has been decreasing for a long time in Japan, most people are convinced otherwise, and now we'll be playing as criminals. Maybe I'm just overthinking things because of several recent disappointments in terms of video game stories.

To be fair, a cat fits very well with the thief theme of game, then again, it could have been a weasel or fox.

And I think the reason they made the group thieves, is to create a contrast to the Persona 4 party, who were on the side of the law, and it seems that the theme of the game is "freedom", so maybe they are thinking that the next generation is too uptight, rather than too wild, but I could be wrong. Maybe there's another message I still don't get.

I think the theme is revolved around emancipation; modern society is shackling the young (from their viewpoint. Also explains the chains that appear during the Persona summons), and they want more freedom. Unbound, so to speak. Adults forcing expectation on the younger generation--to mould them to what they want to be--might also play a part. Which makes the whole mask motif more meaningful. Of course, that's just speculation on my part

So, after watching PV03 a bit, I've come up with this summary:

• Day/Night cycle is back. Weather can change, which might make events available and unavailable during these changes
  • Phone system, which, when translated, implies that the dungeon crawling aspects of the game may only be available during certain days? No information is given. Might indicate some party members may not be available during certain days
  • A Tartarus-like scenario? A castle is discovered to the shock of the party, and they're wearing their school uniform
  • An accident occurs on a train; blood seeps from under a closed door, horrifying a passenger
  • The MC is handcuffed to a chair, face covered in bruises and cuts. May have been interrogated/beaten?
  • Major dungeon exploring changes; trucks can be scaled; paintings... can be entered? Think Mario 64
  • The masks of the main characters and the faces of the Personas for each character are identical
  • The blue-haired male from PV02 has a Persona (and a mask). Ally? Foe? Unknown
  • Like PV02 showed, humans can transmogrify into the enemy
  • There's a scene where the party have been transformed into mice, and get spotted by a patrolling enemy. Mandatory stealth?
  • The tanooki/raccoon/fox girl is back, and shown briefly with the party running away from a boulder. Temporary party member, at least
  • Baseball minigame, and the MC can train in a gym
  • Wild Card is confirmed; an enemy transforms into a mask, and fuses with the MC's mask, with the words "Persona get" following
  • Personas are the masks? Arséne emerges right after MC's mask disappears. Chains follow
  • A police officer can be seen with a trail of blood coming from his mouth. Dead? Probably
  • How involved is the MC to the plot of the game? His masked appearance can be seen highlighted on a big screen. He can also be found smirking when he's in his bruised look, though he is no longed handcuffed

EDIT: Seems I was incorrect; the blue-haired male is actually the one who wears the tanooki tail. My mistake

Finally, though unrelated to Persona 5, this happens when the date is revealed:

7EZ3HNp.jpg

U, ME, 01, P4, and P3 are blurred out, before coming back into focus. Thoughts?

EDIT 2: An interview with the director has popped up

Edited by DodgeDusk

To be fair, a cat fits very well with the thief theme of game, then again, it could have been a weasel or fox.

And I think the reason they made the group thieves, is to create a contrast to the Persona 4 party, who were on the side of the law, and it seems that the theme of the game is "freedom", so maybe they are thinking that the next generation is too uptight, rather than too wild, but I could be wrong. Maybe there's another message I still don't get.

I think the theme is revolved around emancipation; modern society is shackling the young (from their viewpoint. Also explains the chains that appear during the Persona summons), and they want more freedom. Unbound, so to speak. Adults forcing expectation on the younger generation--to mould them to what they want to be--might also play a part. Which makes the whole mask motif more meaningful. Of course, that's just speculation on my part

I know that it's about breaking free from the shackles of society, and while that can definitely turn out to be a solid theme, my question is: what, exactly, does that mean? I guess the irrational part of me is afraid of conspiracy theorists and neckbeards swarming the game in order to experience the feeling of being the only one who can stand up against the big bad society; in fact, I've already seen quite a few cringe-inducing quotes about people "stealing back their future".

Like I said, I might be overthinking things, and the plot has a lot of potential; there's a lot of societal expectations and pressures that people struggle with, so it's definitely a subject worth writing about - I just hope they portray it well.

I want others thoughts on the mask ripping part.

It was kind of plainly stated that the personality that he shows is just a sham so I think the way he takes off his represents how attached he is to that persona (personality) at first its difficult like literally ripping part of himself off and as the game progresses it gets easier.

On the one hand I'm upset that the game I was most hyped for this year is coming out next year. On the other I'll be eligible for a job in about a month, so I might actually be able to buy the other Personas, and this gives me time to play them. The trailer was also pretty good, so I think I'm not too upset.

Well, two things I can post

1. Remember that poster I posted the previous page? It turns out that they're key to unlocking character profiles for the four main characters. If you don't remember the names for the three other characters, they're: Ryuji, Anne, and Morgana. The MC's profile opened up last night, and Ryuji's one went available a few hours ago. I didn't link the MC's one because it's all information we already know. Ryuji's profile contains new information, and official art (scroll down to find the other characters). This person has translated his profile

The Kanji of the game, perhaps? He may have Junpei/Yosuke traits, too, since he's the first male companion you acquire

EDIT: Anne's profile is also up, and this is it translated. Note: the user says neither English or Japanese is his/her first language, so it may not be the most accurate translation. She's sounding a lot like Lisa from Persona 2

EDIT 2: Morgana's profile is now up. Translated post here

2. The trailer has been subbed. Things to note:

• The MC speaks during cutscenes. The silent protagonist trend might be breaking this game. Or, at least, he's going to have a slightly more established character than the two previous MCs
  • Anne mentions a car. Interesting, because the legal driving age in Japan I believe is 18 (could be wrong), and all the main characters so far are 16 . Does the crew have help from an older person with these heists?
  • There are rumours that your hearts can actually be stolen. Is this linked to the seemingly-split personality the MC and Ryuji mysteriously and suddenly acquired?
  • My prediction was correct: Ryuji makes a comment about the school changing its appearance
  • Name of said place is presumed Palace, and is born from "warped desires"
  • Morgana states that she is "not just a cat"
  • Talks about reforming "shitty adults"
  • The party mention "getting the key back"
  • Anne suffers from anguish; she has memories and feelings that she wishes were gone. If she is indeed a foreign student, her background might play a part in it
  • Ryuji doesn't want to die
  • Anne threatens someone by saying, "we will steal all that there is to you." Maybe the playable characters are the ones who steal hearts?
Edited by DodgeDusk

I'm probably just misinterpreting the context here, but I'm getting a Fight Club vibe from the trailer. Mainly because of the MC's possible split personality, the theme of "liberating" from society, and the apparent chaos they're causing at the end.

"A 16-year-old with, three quarters Japanese girl with American roots"

Geez.

Also, the idea of "reforming shitty adults" sounds like a teenagers wet dream, and it's that kind of thing that makes me question whether or not the theme of emancipation will be conveyed well.

I just realized something, but is Morgana really female?

I mean, sure, Morgana is a female name, but it would't be the first time Japan gave a female name to a male character or vice versa, take Gaius and female Morgan's japanese names for example.

And while Morgana has a female voice actor, most mascot characters have female voice actors, regardless of gender.

And Morgana's persona seem to be male...of course Naoto had a male persona, but she's a different case, and besides the real Yamato-Takeru was said to have cross-dressed once, so it did fit Naoto.

But then again, Ken is male, and has a female persona.

But anyway, getting back on topic, what do you guys think? Is Morgana male or female?

Edited by Water Mage