HHM without LHM

Irysa

Is it me, or is Lowen actually considerably better than Kent or Sain without Lyn's story?

I've never actually bothered to try doing this before so I hadn't realised. Flo is reasonably trainable because her internal level is so low and she doesn't really need to actively fight a lot to be useful, but by the time Kent or Sain showed up Lowen is level 10~ for me with nice stats (bulky as/bulkier than Marcus, speed is close, will be fine with a promo, str isn't terribly far behind either). And it's not like I shoveled EXP into him, I still spam the hell out of Marcus and Oswin in my play, Marcus is like level 4 and Oswin is 14 so...

Admittedly I started underdeploying once I got to Laus but fuck training Eliwood when he doesn't proc str for 7 levels. Base HHM Lyn is literally better than my Eliwood. (an aside, Hector is lit as tanky as Oswin, but also as slow lol)

EDIT: I'm still waiting for the Risen to leave the Tonic shop in my awakening run....

Edited by Irysa

I'd say he's only better than Kent because of his contributions in the early chapters, but better than Sain might be stretching it, its really easy to get Sain exp even when he comes underlevelled, and his growths absolutely crush lowens everywhere where it matters. Even his bad skill is only very slightly worse than Lowen's. Kent catches up to his offence pretty quickly since he's a lower level, and then precedes to beat him for the rest of the game. Lowen is just too slow and weak to be a strong lategame unit.

Lowen definitely has his uses for sure, and on my S Rank runs, I attempt to build support between Marcus and Rebecca with Lowen since I use all 3 of them most of the time. But Lowen is very RNG dependant, and if he ends up getting Str or Spd screwed, Kent and Sain can easily replace them, as I tend to use them in pairs for support bonuses as well.