a long-shot: JP eirika route cormag

among the localization changes from the JP to the US version, a lot of characters' base stats were tweaked slightly. the table of base stats in the JP version can be found here: http://serenesforest.net/general/localisation-changes/gameplay/the-sacred-stones-base-stats/

JP eirika route cormag has massive stats, and i have a few questions about it. i don't think many people here play JP FE8, though, so that's why this topic is a long-shot.

1. does eirika route cormag really have those inflated stats?

2. does cormag benefit from being autoleveled as a generic enemy? his stat increases compared to his ephraim route bases are consistent with 10 levels of generic wyvern rider class growth.

3. if the hypothesis above is true, does cormag also get 5 HM bonus levels as wyvern rider in HM?

Japanese FE8 doesn't work too well with Nightmare, I tried it myself. ;_;

yeah, but this kind of thing can probably be fixed. figuring out how to edit the growth rates can't be that hard because i'm pretty sure they're not compressed.

anyway i will talk to refa more about this over skype. but as horace suggested, i had been reworking FE8 0% a little bit but decided to put it on hold until i can figure out the JP version because the base stat changes and item availability changes work out greatly in the player's favor.

and cog of destiny is still proving intractable for FE7, otherwise that one would be nearly done.

Wow dondon, you stole my idea that I gave you wow...I already 145 turned FE8 0% btw lol get rektd noob.

scrub, i got 140 turns; i just haven't told anyone yet. no one is touching this for a long while. :P

based on refa's screenshot, it looks like cormag doesn't get HM bonuses. the stat gains are more consistent with wyvern rider class growths than it is with cormag's personal growths; the spd bonus in particular is telling because cormag's spd growth is a good amount higher than the wyvern rider spd growth.

but the scrub doesn't have a savestate so i can't test it...

i have more questions that warrant a double post.

the gameplay changes page notes that some boss stats were altered during localization. some boss stat changes can be seen in the trial map characters, but is there a comprehensive resource for FE8 JP boss stats? pegasusknight does not seem to have any.

i just caught this tidbit on the gameplay changes page:

• The final boss is equipped with Demon Light initially instead of Ravager.

operation 1-turn the demon king with dozla is a go! but i just need to make sure i can get enough energy rings for saleh to reach 26 mag and dozla to reach 26 str. reaching 56k gold by chapter 14 doesn't seem to be too difficult...

Edited by dondon151

How to change the FE8 character editor to work with JP version:
Open up the FE8 character editor module in a plain text editor (like Notepad) and change the root address (located near the beginning of the file) from 0x803D30 to 0x858288

Then go to...

Supports Data Pointer
NDHU
Support Pointers.txt

And change to...

Supports Data Pointer
NEHU
NULL

(The editor has a dropbox for support pointers, but the FE8 JP support data is located in a different spot. Nightmare will complain the dropbox values aren't valid so the dropbox is being taken out)

yeah, thanks for the good intentions, i figured that out myself. rather than fudge around with the support pointers, though, i just commented that part out in the nightmare module.

EDIT: welp here's the first hurdle in the run: i can no longer 2-turn chapter 4 because the boss entombed gained 2 HP going from JP to US and seth can no longer ORKO with a javelin.

Edited by dondon151

You probably realized this but having the gold by Chapter 14 won't mean you can buy the energy rings then. The secret shops only get their stat boosters AFTER the campaign has been finished. The three energy rings you get won't get Dozla or Saleh to 26.

You probably realized this but having the gold by Chapter 14 won't mean you can buy the energy rings then. The secret shops only get their stat boosters AFTER the campaign has been finished. The three energy rings you get won't get Dozla or Saleh to 26.

http://www.fireemblemwod.com/fe8/guiafe8/capituloeirik14fe8.htm

FEWoD says that in the JP version, the secret shop does have angelic robes and energy rings for sale. are you sure about this?

I'm pretty certain the statboosters exist in the main story in the japanese version

can you set up chapter 4 so that you break a javelin on the EP so the when the boss attacks he gets killed by a stronger weapon?

Edited by General Horace

the boss attacks before the mogall that requires the javelin

i ended up figuring out the 2-turn, but it was way trickier now that seth couldn't kill the mogall because i had to make garcia take care of it instead, and garcia can't get within its range in 2 turns without rescue assistance.

is it just me, or are the enemies slightly tougher in (J) on the whole?

Edited by dondon151

i've hit another roadblock, this one being worse than chapter 4.

i can't figure out how to 3-turn chapter 7. the strategy that i recorded for the US version doesn't work in the JP version because the enemies are slightly stronger. i'm pretty sure that eirika still needs the dracoshield (since it doesn't seem like it's possible to discourage the archers from attacking her otherwise), but i can't figure out how to get franz to survive without rigging a miss at 76 or 77 hit, and even then i'm not sure if the strategy can work out because i haven't tested it that far yet.

by the way, someone should look into why JP enemies are stronger than US enemies. i've observed this across all enemies and across pretty much every chapter, where i was missing KO combinations that i used to just barely get.