Taking out the Black Knight (question)

Nine

I'm curious about something. I'm fairly sure I already know the answer, but I thought I'd just confirm.

In chapter 24 (or whichever one it is where you rescue Geoffrey), is it possible to defeat the Black Knight? I tried to see what Soren's damage (mag. 30 + Elwind) against the BK's 22 res., and it came out zero. So I'm assuming that only Ike can damage BK. But Ike doesn't have Ragnell at this point, so is the only thing you can do with the BK in that chapter run like hell?

Yes, only Ike can do any damage to the Black Knight because of his blessed armor. Only a weapon that has also been blessed can pierce it, and Ragnell is the only obtainable weapon that fits that category. And only Ike can use it. But even then, it still might not be possible because you're only given five turns to defeat him in when Ike faces him in chapter 27. If the RNG wasn't good to Ike's stats, he will not be strong or fast enough to take him out. He also has to use Aether.

In short, it's entirely luck based. It stinks, I know. >_<

Ah. Thanks, I'd guessed as much. I was gonna try to get in a lucky Adept critical, but since BK can't be damaged and he doubles Soren for 39 x2, well...then...

Only one problem now... I left Soren and Rhys in the corner where BK appears (since I'd sent Jill and Haar over to take the village down in the corner) to heal Jill and Haar with Physic. Now I gotta get them out of there... OTL

lol I'll probably have to reset if I can't get them out in time.

Well, technically Ike can at least get rid of the Black Knight because he will simply leave if Ike survives a clash with him. (After providing him the exposition about his armor and Ragnell, which also means that Ike will no longer challenge the BK in the cutscene after the battle.) Not that there is much of a point to it since you can just avoid him entirely.

Edited by BrightBow

If the RNG wasn't good to Ike's stats, he will not be strong or fast enough to take him out. He also has to use Aether.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that if Ike with maxed str attacks every player phase (and every enemy phase of course) and he hits the BK most or all of the time, he can kill the BK without aether. I'm gonna look at the stats and see if that's right in a second.

EDIT:

Ike has 44 attack power with max str and ragnell. He cannot double. BK has 60 HP and 30 defense, alondite gives him 5 more. So Ike does 9 damage per hit. Each turn BK recovers 6 HP. With 10 player and enemy phases Ike does 90 damage if he hits every time. With 5 sets of turns BK recovers 30 HP over the course of the battle. That means Ike brings the BK to exactly 0 hp if every hit lands. Of course, he does have to hit every time. Ike's hit rate should be around the high 80s if he's maxed (which I think is reasonable if you're playing casually at least in normal and hard, dunno about maniac yet). So it's pretty bad odds for him to hit every time after all. Luckily aether should proc during 10 rounds of fighting...

Well, technically Ike can at least get rid of the Black Knight because he will simply leave if Ike survives a clash with him. (After providing him the exposition about his armor and Ragnell, which also means that Ike will no longer challenge the BK in the cutscene after the battle.) Not that there is much of a point to it since you can just avoid him entirely.

I'm pretty sure that, unlike the chapter with Mackoya as a boss, the BK won't move even if somone is in his range to attack? So ya, I don't think you have to worry about him as much.

Edited by SeverIan

Actually, I'm pretty sure that if Ike with maxed str attacks every player phase (and every enemy phase of course) and he hits the BK most or all of the time, he can kill the BK without aether. I'm gonna look at the stats and see if that's right in a second.

EDIT:

Ike has 44 attack power with max str and ragnell. He cannot double. BK has 60 HP and 30 defense, alondite gives him 5 more. So Ike does 9 damage per hit. Each turn BK recovers 6 HP. With 10 player and enemy phases Ike does 90 damage if he hits every time. With 5 sets of turns BK recovers 30 HP over the course of the battle. That means Ike brings the BK to exactly 0 hp if every hit lands. Of course, he does have to hit every time. Ike's hit rate should be around the high 80s if he's maxed (which I think is reasonable if you're playing casually at least in normal and hard, dunno about maniac yet). So it's pretty bad odds for him to hit every time after all. Luckily aether should proc during 10 rounds of fighting...

I'm pretty sure that, unlike the chapter with Mackoya as a boss, the BK won't move even if somone is in his range to attack? So ya, I don't think you have to worry about him as much.

You forget that there is a Bishop in the room who will heal the Black Knight on occasion.

But even then, it still might not be possible because you're only given five turns to defeat him in when Ike faces him in chapter 27. If the RNG wasn't good to Ike's stats, he will not be strong or fast enough to take him out. He also has to use Aether.

In short, it's entirely luck based. It stinks, I know. >_<

Ike doesn't necessarily need to use Aether. Even if it's possible the way Severlan says it, you can't forget about Resolve/Wrath (or Nihil, if not confident) Ike either.

Ike's hit rate should be around the high 80s if he's maxed (which I think is reasonable if you're playing casually at least in normal and hard, dunno about maniac yet). So it's pretty bad odds for him to hit every time after all. Luckily aether should proc during 10 rounds of fighting...

As far as I've checked it, Maniac BK doesn't change from Easy/Normal/Hard BK. The only Maniac change was to Oliver.

BK moves in Chapter 24 Hard mode. He's going to try to proc Luna (though I've never confirmed if that's the case even if Ike has Nihil, but I would assume BK is still programmed to attack close).

Oh wow! Can a strong enough Mist kill him before he has a chance to heal the BK? Just curious.

In Easy/Normal, BK won't be moving around so Mist has a better chance to kill that Bishop.

In Hard, it should be easy enough to get to the Bishop as long as you have Mist hug the right (I think that's where the Bishop comes from?) side of the map and Ike lures him away from her.

I'm pretty sure I've had Ike double the BK before... But I could be remembering wrong.

An Ike with at least 21 Speed can with Resolve. If you remember him proccing Aether and doubling (outside of Aether's effect), though, then that would be wrong.

In Easy/Normal, BK won't be moving around so Mist has a better chance to kill that Bishop.

In Hard, it should be easy enough to get to the Bishop as long as you have Mist hug the right (I think that's where the Bishop comes from?) side of the map and Ike lures him away from her.

However, the Black Knight won't even attack Mist in the first place.

An Ike with at least 21 Speed can with Resolve. If you remember him proccing Aether and doubling (outside of Aether's effect), though, then that would be wrong.

How can you teach Ike Resolve before the Black Knight battle? You get it in chapter 27-1 and there is no opportunity to visit the base before 27-2.

Edited by BrightBow

I'm curious about something. I'm fairly sure I already know the answer, but I thought I'd just confirm.

In chapter 24 (or whichever one it is where you rescue Geoffrey), is it possible to defeat the Black Knight? I tried to see what Soren's damage (mag. 30 + Elwind) against the BK's 22 res., and it came out zero. So I'm assuming that only Ike can damage BK. But Ike doesn't have Ragnell at this point, so is the only thing you can do with the BK in that chapter run like hell?

Ike does have Ragnell at this point. He's just keeping all the good stuff to himself and not letting us use it.

Yeah, it actually turns out that Ike went back into the forest the day after Greil's death to retrieve Ragnell and he'd held onto it since. I always wondered "Ike, dude, why? lol you could've owned hard with it!" He might've been too broken, I guess though. :P

I think Ike didn't use Ragnell all that time he had it for the same reason that Eliwood didn't use Durandal for most of the time he had it. It was a painful reminder of the death of a loved one, and neither of them wanted to use it until it was absolutely necessary.

However, the Black Knight won't even attack Mist in the first place.

How can you teach Ike Resolve before the Black Knight battle? You get it in chapter 27-1 and there is no opportunity to visit the base before 27-2.

My apologies. I forgot about those facts. Never had to put Mist in BK's range and personally never used Resolve on Ike even after getting it.

As for Ragnell, I would agree with both answers. I don't even recall there being an in-game scene for Ragnell and Alondite being used for 2-range (lending credit to not being able to see stats).