Civ 5 Draft - Round 2

BBM

Go to this post for Round 2:

So we discussed this a little in the Civ thread, and I ended up deciding on these set of rules:

1. We're playing for fun; so turn counts don't matter.

2. All victories are allowed, except for Time because it's lame.

3. We start in Ancient Era. Random map type, Standard size (8p), whatever pace and difficulty level you want. Everything else default.

4. First, every player picks one civ to ban from the game. Next, in backwards order everybody picks the civ they want to play. So players ban from 1-8, and then players pick from 8-1.

5. Set all the AI civs to the civs that the other people picked.

6. Have fun!

I decided to allow 8 bans rather than just straight up banning Korea/Babylon/Poland/Mayans because I feel like it'll encourage people more to use a civ they don't normally use. If there aren't enough people we can lower it to 6, but I think that lower than that isn't very fun.

Players:

1. BBM - Arabia

2. Groot (Sharpy) - Persia

3. HF Makalov Fanboy Kai - China

4. Xekr - Shoshone

5. AnonymousSpeed- Celts

6. Ghost Drafter - Inca

Bans: Venice, Spain, Mayans, Poland, Babylon, Korea

Edited by BBM

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Pitboss game will never finish or get beyond turn 20, especially with Beyond Earth coming out.

There's too many problems with "competitive" Civ play anyways.

Edited by XeKr

I can see people banning The Aztecs/Zulu because AI, Poland/Maya/Korea/Babylon because they're the power quartet, and maaaybe the Huns/Mongols because friggin domination rollercoaster.

I might just end up using a civ I've never tried, like Persia or Spain!

We could also try GMR with some AI civs (and maybe no attacking human players?). Or pass the hotseat save file around SF ourselves.

let’s see how many years it takes.

I heard pitboss still had some serve issues, plus hosting, etc.

Edited by XeKr

might just start at 6; I don't think we'll get 8?

Mongol AI is pretty bad; I've never seen them do well in the long term. Mongols shouldn't really start warring until they get Keshiks, but the AI starts gunning for city states pretty early on (due to the Mongol UA attack bonus against CS's). They'll probably get a few, but they'll almost inevitably ended up pissing multiple other civs off and getting into a war with at least one before they even get Keshiks. And unlike a human player, who has like 10 Chariot Archers ready to go by the time you get to Chivalry, the AI normally focuses more on melee units and doesn't start producing Keshiks in earnest until after it unlocks Chivalry, which cuts down on the amount of time for which Keshiks are dominant.

The AI also can't move+shoot+canto very well, which is the biggest strength of Keshiks.

I'm actually warming up to the idea of doing a GMR/hotseat game alongside the original draft idea. >_>. Probably fill a few slots with emperor/immortal AI (AI turn time doesn't matter, so we could even do 5 of us + 5 AIs on a large map), no attacking other humans so it's more fair? Might be interesting.

Edited by XeKr

might just start at 6; I don't think we'll get 8?

Fair enough, I can agree with that.

I'm actually warming up to the idea of doing a GMR/hotseat game alongside the original draft idea. >_>. Probably fill a few slots with emperor/immortal AI (AI turn time doesn't matter, so we could even do 5 of us + 5 AIs on a large map), no attacking other humans so it's more fair? Might be interesting.

Hm, potentially. I'll probably get destroyed in that case, but it would still be fun. Shouldn't there be two teams in that case? (5 on human side, 5 on AI side)?

5 is fine.

Hm, potentially. I'll probably get destroyed in that case, but it would still be fun. Shouldn't there be two teams in that case? (5 on human side, 5 on AI side)?

We could team, but I was thinking FFA as it might be interesting to have us human players manufacture wars behind the scenes and such. >_>. Could lower the difficulty more to a point where everyone's comfortable. Not adamant on any competitiveness really at all.

I'm kinda interested in general just because it's something different than vs. purely AI.

Edited by XeKr

Are we still waiting on something to draft? Can draft civs and do the versus AI thing while figuring out if we want to never finish do a GMR game.

rng pls

Edited by XeKr

ah sorry I went to sleep right before you guys all responded lol

There were 6 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

1. Xekr
  2. AnonymousSpeed
  3. BBM
  4. Ghost Drafter
  5. HF Makalov Fanboy Kai
  6. Groot (Sharpy)

Timestamp: 2014-10-04 16:40:03 UTC

Xekr gets firstban.

Oh, didn't think about that. I guess Small would be better for 6 people?

EDIT: also Venice was one of the civs I haven't played before that I didn't think would get banned damnit Xekr

Edited by BBM