Everything Wrong with Fire Emblem Awakening

Before you ask, no, I'm not about to go all CinemaSins on this. OK...maybe a little. Anyways, I was wondering:what moments in Awakening (and they have to be actual moments, not "character missed even though he had 99% accuracy" moments) do you find that were flawed, and shouldn't have happened? Any coincidences that you thought were just so dumb, they shouldn't have happened in the first place? I have one MAJOR flaw. And that is Emmeryn's "death". So many things wrong with those two scenes. In case you don't know what I'm talking about, here's what I mean:

1.Why didn't she try to escape!? There was no one watching over her! And if there were, why didn't they attack and kill her, like what they were told to do!?

2.There is literally no reason she needed to commit suicide. Sad moment ruined.

3.Holy sh*t! Either that is a huge *ss courtyard, or Chrom is the slowest runner EVER! He was pretty close the spire that Emmeryn was standing on just as the archers attacked, why is it taking him so long to make it to her?

4.Annnd Chrom just stands there instead of trying to get her corpse back. I get it, he's sad, he just watched the most important person in his life die. But at THAT close proximity, you'd think he could, at the least, try to go and get her corpse. Especially when Gangrel begins taunting him by saying he was gonna mount the corpse.

5.Did...Chrom just teleport? One minute he's over by the spire, the next he's back where all the pegi knights died.

6.Hey, were a minute ago, *sshole Basilio? We could have seriously used your army to fight off the Plegians!

7.Also, the Archerers make no attempt to stop Chrom from reaching Emmeryn as he's running towards them. And then they just disapear.

*moving on to when Emmeryn was refound*

8.OK, there's a lot to go over here, so let's begin with the most obvious ones.For one thing, I refuse to believe she survived that, what, 7 story drop? And face-first too!

9.Not to mention, she's angled so that IF she hit the ground face-first, which I'm assuming she did, her neck would break like a stick.

10. Also, she somehow got no physical wounds from that fall.

11.And she clearly lost her memory do to the fall, so don't be giving me that "she came from the outrealms" bullsh*t.

12.On top of that, the Plegians must be TERRIBLE at finding their victim's dead corpses! It's not like she snuck away, she was clearly dead...or uncouncius. At this rate, I'm willing to believe anything.

13.Also, you can not possibly tell me a face-plant fall from that height results in something as minor as memory loss.

14.And how did she manage to go this long without a single person saying "Hey, doesn't that look like the exalt? You know, the exalt of that major kingdom, Ylisse? The one that was apparently executed?"

15.And on that note, how did she get to the island without someone pointing this out?

16.Scratch that, HOW DID SHE MAKE IT TO THE ISLAND IN THE FIRST PLACE?! If she got on a boat, A-how did she pay for it? And B-NO ONE noticed the friggin' mark of the exalt symbol on her forhead?! And she's definetly not Micheal Phelps, so go ahead an disregard that idea.

17.Sure, spawn really close to the enemy. Friggin' idiot.

You guys?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just a game who cares

No game is without sin.

Not directly targeted at Emmeryn's death, I just found that the absolute most absurd one. Plus, it was going to come up one way or another.

Edited by Grima's Hero

Suit yourself.

This thread -is- going to either get ignored to death or blow up in someone's face, though. Don't say I didn't warn you.

I see we have another ray of sunshine. As if we didn't have enough of those already. *prepares self for oncoming rage storm*

It's just a game who cares

Do you really have to be that guy? A video game story is still a story. Pointing out its flaws is fair game. It would be one thing if it were an excuse plot or clearly intended to be silly, but the devs were clearly trying to make a dramatic story. YMMV on whether they succeeded, but that's part of the point of topics like these.

On topic--I never noticed the problems with the distances before. That just makes the scene even more perplexing. I still like it though, because DAT AXE THROW.

When it comes to the Spotpass maps I don't think they were even trying to make things make sense, but it's weird that the in-game scene has such gaping flaws. It's even worse because if that scene isn't believable it kind of throws off the rest of the story arc.

Edited by isetrh

Do you really have to be that guy? A video game story is still a story. Pointing out its flaws is fair game. It would be one thing if it were an excuse plot or clearly intended to be silly, but the devs were clearly trying to make a dramatic story. YMMV on whether they succeeded, but that's part of the point of topics like these.

On topic--I never noticed the problems with the distances before. That just makes the scene even more perplexing. I still like it though, because DAT AXE THROW makes me laugh every time.

When it comes to the Spotpass maps I don't think they were even trying to make things make sense, but it's weird that the in-game scene has such gaping flaws. It's even worse because if that scene isn't believable it kind of throws off the rest of the story arc.

Don't worry, it's a joke. In a lot of the CinemaSins videos, one of the most common comments is "it's just a movie, who cares".

On topic--I never noticed the problems with the distances before. That just makes the scene even more perplexing. I still like it though, because DAT AXE THROW.

Fun fact about that clip: Flavia throws an Iron Axe. No, not a Hand Axe or any other ranged weapon, but good old Iron.

Fun fact about that clip: Flavia throws an Iron Axe. No, not a Hand Axe or any other ranged weapon, but good old Iron.

Huh, didn't know that. I should use Flavia sometime. While we're on the subject of the axe throw, it doesn't even look like it was thrown. I showed it out of context to a friend who hasn't played FEA and he thought it fell from the sky.

i was expecting a banzai-level breakdown of fe13's plot (for context, banzai wrote 11,000 words on the issues of FE7's plot).

i've been severely disappointed

E:

i mean, with a title like "Everything wrong with Fire Emblem Awakening", i was expecting a little more than "emmeryn"

Edited by CT075

Congrats Brendor you're now the same as every retard on a cinemasins video who says exactly the same thing you just said.

Don't worry, it's a joke. In a lot of the CinemaSins videos, one of the most common comments is "it's just a movie, who cares".

You have a really bad habit of talking out of your ass and making throw away posts that don't do anything except castigate or just insult other people. You should work on that.

Anyways the scene has a lot of plot holes, yeah, but they were necessary to create to sad dramatic atmosphere that it did. Maybe it could've been done better but personally when I got to that point in the story I wasn't focusing on inconsistencies I was more engrossed in the emotion and atmosphere but I will concede that making her survive and come back as a recruit able was a really bad idea because that caused a lot more plot holes but didn't manage to patch them up by driving the story forward. It kinda made me think of how you could recruit past enemies and allies that were supposed to be dead in FE8 through the Creature Campaign but in FE8 they were just recruited and that was it. No explanation of how or why they joined up, can't talk to or support with anyone so it was kind of like a novelty which actually makes more sense than having them recruited but trying to throw in a half added logical explanation; awakening just kinda took the fun and novelty out of special recruitables that way

You have a really bad habit of talking out of your ass and making throw away posts that don't do anything except castigate or just insult other people. You should work on that.

What, a throwaway post for a throwaway post isn't equal opportunity? You saying "it's just a game who cares about [your opinion]" is almost the exact same level of dismissal I gave to you.

What, a throwaway post for a throwaway post isn't equal opportunity? You saying "it's just a game who cares about [your opinion]" is almost the exact same level of dismissal I gave to you.

If we're going with the Ad hominem posts from both of you, we should talk about your choice in humor displayed by your avatar.

Just to be fair, Klok, you tend to call out people for crap you do too.

Edited by shadowofchaos

So now that we have a thread to exclusively talk about what people don't like about Awakening, you guys will stop bringing it up in other threads, right? /wishfulthinking

You know damn well that ain't happening.

I know I'm throwing away an opportunity to say "I knew it!", but this really isn't what I had in mind...

Let's get back to some nice, controversial Awakening arguments instead, shall we? How about those Chrom x Avatar-F C-A supports?

I have several (what I consider to be legitimate, but that's just like, my opinion dude; probably more important, at any rate) issues with Awakening myself, but these are just nitpicking (some of them are wrong too, but honestly I'm too lazy to put in the effort to refuting them because why). I get that Cinema Sins does that to some degree, but at least they go over the whole movie and don't spend so much time on ONE SCENE. Also it's kind of hard to take anyone complaining about Awakening seriously when they're named Grima's Heroes with their favorite FE game being, well, Awakening.

Those are the best scenes in the game (along with Robin using magic as any class, and Lucina wielding Falchion as a Cleric).

How can you hate that scene?

That scene is the only moment that Cliff, the best character that is ever created is shown.

I mean who doesn't like Cliff? He's a fucking brilliant character.

Liek in the last best waifu poll, Cliff beats the entire cast by a landslide, to the point that Emmeryn falls for him.

Honestly the biggest wrong in the game is the massive quality drop after that point. They can't top Cliff and they know it.

Uhn... I dunno?

Oh! Oh! When Valida takes the Emblem. Damn it, Lucina, you were two inches away from your father and the Avatar was all wiggly, why didn't you stop them? Oh, whatever X°D

Edited by Rydia

I have several (what I consider to be legitimate, but that's just like, my opinion dude; probably more important, at any rate) issues with Awakening myself, but these are just nitpicking (some of them are wrong too, but honestly I'm too lazy to put in the effort to refuting them because why). I get that Cinema Sins does that to some degree, but at least they go over the whole movie and don't spend so much time on ONE SCENE. Also it's kind of hard to take anyone complaining about Awakening seriously when they're named Grima's Heroes with their favorite FE game being, well, Awakening.

Those are the best scenes in the game (along with Robin using magic as any class, and Lucina wielding Falchion as a Cleric).

Well, Pokemon X and Y were some of my fav games to date, my fav 3DS game without a doubt, but I found tons of errors in there. It's OK to point out the mistakes in something, I find myself doing it a lot. This game isn't perfect (contrary to the popular belief), it's nice seeing the bad in good.

Also, people neglect to mention that Validar is like the most cliche character EVER. He's a sorcerer, with that absurdly devlish face, who worships a dark god (who happens to be a dragon), who sacrifises people to apease said god, and guess what? He's also your father!

It's like they took every possible cliche for this guy, put it in a blender, and hit "new character".

Edited by Grima's Hero

I know I'm throwing away an opportunity to say "I knew it!", but this really isn't what I had in mind...

Let's get back to some nice, controversial Awakening arguments instead, shall we? How about those Chrom x Avatar-F C-A supports?

...may I add my two cents in on all of this?

I don't like any supports that leave you with a feeling that's like, "...So are they married, now, or...?"

And I realize that despite what the support says, that they are, with support conversations reflecting this, but a prime example would be the support of Chrom and Female Avatar. If I recall, they decide to wait a few years, yet... They're married immediately after the support.

Dafaq?