FE: Awakening ROM decrypted and extracted

VincentASM

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing that caught my eye: some prototype chapter titles, I believe.

Chapter 5: Young Squires

title.ctpk.lz_100%28chapter%29.png

Borrowed from FE12?

Challenge: Valmese Water Gate

title.ctpk.lz_10100%28chapter_other%29.p

A variation of Great Gate?

I honestly prefer these over the original ones. Was there anymore?

Is there a tutorial on how they're ripping the 3DS graphics from the ROM?

...though there's not really much point in me knowing, because I don't have said huge ROM decrypted on my hard drive.

Yes, there are transformed map sprites for when animations are off. I don't recall if Tiki's is different from Nowi's or whatever. (I don't think Nah has a custom red transformed sprite though)

BMI_旧マルス What's this one?

"Old Marth", aka FE1/DLC Marth.

Is there a tutorial on how they're ripping the 3DS graphics from the ROM?

...though there's not really much point in me knowing, because I don't have said huge ROM decrypted on my hard drive.

Lessee...

I know FE13 uses at least two graphical formats.

One is CTPK, which houses stuff like the portraits and UI. Sometimes they're found in ARC files. You can use texturipper to rip from CTPK files.

CTPK and ARC files can be compressed and, if so, beware of the unknown 4 bytes at the beginning of the file.

There's also BCRES, which I think is a variant of CGFX. These files contain model and texture data, I believe. Stuff like the confessions, CGs and battle models are in here.

I dunno how to open these normally; I'm using a script Ploaj made.

EDIT

Map sprites are up at the Spriter's Resource.

You can look for unused sprites too, like Hero Olivia : P

Edited by VincentASM

I'm mostly interested in the ripped CG files for the confession images.

Would you be able to repack them as simply as you do with GBA Graphics editor for the GBA FE games?

...though I doubt it.

I'm mostly interested in the ripped CG files for the confession images.

Would you be able to repack them as simply as you do with GBA Graphics editor for the GBA FE games?

...though I doubt it.

Of course you would.

I have a suspicion somebody has or will make something for BCRES support. AKA somebody will want to hack Pokemon/Smash models (they use similar file types, right?).

Plus the files kind of reminds me of the TLP files found in FE9/10 and there was a re-packager for those files.

I'm curious, how are the children characters over world icons and battle models stored? Is there data for every possibility, or are the heads just copied and pasted onto the model? I'm curious because I wanted to know if when we can hack the game and change reclass sets, if we have to worry about the graphics or if we have to edit them to change them. I would have thought that it was just a head copy paste, but that Olivia sheet having everything makes me confused.

Thanks for all your hard work! Looking forward to more progress!

Overworld/battle map icons are selected from a limited, pre-rendered set and I'm assuming the rest are simply generic. For instance, pretty much nobody has a custom Barbarian map sprite.

Can't comment about battle models, but splicing heads and bodies is much easier in 3D than 2D, surprisingly.

Awesome! Thanks so much for doing this!

Hm, it seems the maximum weapon level was originally S and not A (like in some past FE games):

icon_E_9BC00(system).png

Also Aversa had access to the Mage > Sage/DK line. I personally think this is actually more useful than Dark mage > Sorcerer/DK (except for perhaps Vengeance), due to Shadowgift and Tomefaire. The developers probably thought that it would be too much of a game-breaker having both high magic/speed/skill stat and powerful dark magic at the same time, so only Aversa!Morgan can do this in the final version. (Not that the game doesn't have any other game-breaker though...)

Edited by Ryo

I note that the spriter's resource does not have emeryn's map sprites. I'd love to see if she originally had mage (given her skills).

I note that the spriter's resource does not have emeryn's map sprites. I'd love to see if she originally had mage (given her skills).

Emmeryn has been ripped and sheeted and, yeah, she does have Mage. Good call : )

On the subject of weapon ranks, I could've sworn Shadow Dragon had something leftover suggesting a S Rank too. It can't have been a support rank in that game, because of no supports XD

It was also the first game to axe the S Rank for weapons as well. Poor thing...

i'm still eagerly awaiting tiki's map sprites. every single set of map sprites so far has two blank rows down the bottom, below all the walking poses, and i've got a guess as to what they're meant for which pretty much depends on seeing tiki's sprites

i'm still eagerly awaiting tiki's map sprites. every single set of map sprites so far has two blank rows down the bottom, below all the walking poses, and i've got a guess as to what they're meant for which pretty much depends on seeing tiki's sprites

Out of curiosity, what's the guess?

Since the original max weapon rank was intended to be S, I guess there would have likely been a bunch of legendary weapons like in Binding Blade and Sacred Stones, for example, because it would be kind of odd seeing a Brave weapon as S-Rank.

Maybe the Spotpass weapons were going to be S-Rank?

Other DS games didn't have S rank weaponry. My gut says that Awakening was never going to have S rank equips

Since the original max weapon rank was intended to be S, I guess there would have likely been a bunch of legendary weapons like in Binding Blade and Sacred Stones, for example, because it would be kind of odd seeing a Brave weapon as S-Rank.

Maybe the Spotpass weapons were going to be S-Rank?

Well, like shadowofchaos pointed out, the set could very well have been used simultaneously for both weapon ranks and supports, so probably no actual S rank for weapons.

I just... figured the person who dumped them put the space there to separate the classes?

Double post because I have a request.

Does anyone with 3D knowledge know how to map this onto a sphere? : D

globe.png

EDIT: It's creepy how 3 identical continents are surrounding Ylisse and Valm...

Edited by VincentASM

Out of curiosity, what's the guess?

remember tiki's paralogue, and that unique "praying" pose she has while you have to defend her? my guess was that the blank space is to do with instances like that: they're there to hold alternate sprite poses if they're necessary, even though iirc tiki is the only one to have such a pose in the finished game

that said, now the sprites are dumped, it looks like i was off the mark. tiki's pray pose is indeed in there... but it's at the top of her manakete sheet instead of her neutral poses, and her enemy sprites don't seem to have them at all. it all actually looks pretty disorganised. oh well, mystery solved

I just... figured the person who dumped them put the space there to separate the classes?

ploaj's first test dump of lord!chrom had them well before a need to separate out the classes was a consideration, so that's unlikely, not to mention in the compiled sheets each class is also separated by a good deal of blank space

Haha, bookofholsety found out Emmeryn has Lissa's NPC Troubadour frames : P

Also... I ripped the world map textures.

Anyone remember this topic?

Here's a bit of closure.

Small islands

gmap_202500GMap_land_C.png

Ylisse

gmap_59500GMap_land_A.png

Valm

gmap_1AD500GMap_land_B.png

Uncharted continent(s)

gmap_217900GMap_land_D.png

It sort of kind of maybe looks like Tellius without the bird countries.

Haha, bookofholsety found out Emmeryn has Lissa's NPC Troubadour frames : P

Her sprite in-game, for reference.

emm_troubadour.png

Also, it's quite interesting what tomes you've got at the Barracks...

bookcase.png

myroom.png

So that's why you can't get Grima's Truth. Your Avatar is using a bunch of them as decoration!

Also, guess why there's a vulnerary icon in the texture. Hint: You can see it in the screenshot...

I'll save some extra for tomorrow. So tired again...

Edited by VincentASM