Errant's Thread O' Sprites: ~Evolution~

ErrantDShepherd

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man you are an amazing spriter! Your work is very well done. I like all your sprites, but I have to say that these here are my favourites:

XFXFsF5.png

I also really like your mugs! But these are my favourites: dlZFIB.pngb8BgmK.pngXQHj1K.png

But your other sprites are great too! I hope that you keep spriting, to behold us with many more beautiful sprites!

Keep it up! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the looks and comments. I hope to give a proper response to any comments I get as I appreciate people taking the time to give some feedback!

@Baldur

Thanks for the compliments and thoughts!

I appreciate hearing about favourites... and yeah, Garhen is one of my personal favorites too. Very first full custom I ever did for Fire Emblem, I like how he turned out. That Berzerker edit guy is kinda fun too, I've actually found his sprite useful for tweaking into other creations.

That Gilliam Pirate turned out pretty decent, I still have to finish Garhen's portrait one of these days and I definately should tweak that armored mug... The head is alright but I want to make his shoulder's and general armor more customized. But glad you seem to like it.

@Dragoncat

Thanks. As I said, Garhen is a favorite, and I don't hate the official GBA fighter sprite personally, but I do feel its design is kinda dopey looking... I mean honestly, what grown man goes around fighting in shorts? Also wish they'd given Ross his own custom Fighter sprite in FE8, it seemed odd how big a growth spurt he got going from Trainee. Think the Tellius games got the size for Fighters a little better in relation to the rest of the classes.

@Deranger

Muchos Gracias, Deranger. Actually, that Ranger battle sprite you made along with some of the works of other FE sprite artists on these forums like eCut, BWDyeti and Merc helped inspire me to get back into FE spriting. Heh, yeah... good old male Valk-Fighters, we clearly need to implement the class in the next Fire Emblem! :P

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll have to keep trying to make cool designs... or actually sheet some of these.

Anyways thanks for all the comments and views... onto the sprites...

CURRENT (October 29, 2014):

...so been busy with school, but the design bug has struck me once again... and has made me want to do some battle spriting.

Battle Sprites

jZn9YU.png

Liked the helmet design on that last Soldier... so tried it on the standard Soldier, also tweaked the Armor Soldier a bit... Feel like the design and latest blue colors work a little better... But now I want to try and make the shading of these match a little more. :|

...think maybe reshading the armor soldier would look better.

yloZkT.png

Brigands... Tweaked the pose around, then fiddled with stuff a little more... will probably come back to this soon.

hnB9xc.png

...and hey my full custom Mercenary, Vant... I made a bigger Mercenary sprite by tweaking my earlier normal-size Berzerker edit, and created Hero Vant by referring to the regular Mercenary sprite and Hawkeye's sprite, then customed a trainee class from Vant's original sprite referencing Ewan and Ross's sprites.

Three rows showing three different Versions of Trainee Vant(Vagrant/Drifter?), Mercenary Vant, and Hero Vant.

1st row: First Versions of all sprites...

2nd row: ...Minor Tweaks, Bandanas for all! Minor lengthening of Hero Vant

3rd row: ...further Tweaks, no Bandanas... Mercenary Vant is slimmed down a little... Like these designs the best personally, but which particular sprites do you like best?

5VWzDw.png

...and hey, actual Battle-type poses for Battle Sprites... whoulda thunk it! ...thinking Hero Vant could use a cooler looking sword.

All thoughts, comments, criticism and/or cookies very much appreciated... and no worries I can take criticism, constructive or not. ;)

After all, while I do this for hobby, I do want to grow and develop my skills and ability as an artist.

Thanks for taking a look, and thanks to any and all feedback.

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

yloZkT.png

These brigands here are looking great! I never really liked their slouched position.

hnB9xc.png

Vant looks really cool! That new hero looks great. I like how you made a 1st,2nd and 3rd tier for him. All three look great!

jZn9YU.png

The new soldiers look awesome! Keep it up! :)

@ inspiration stuff

Thanks. Your stuff's making me want to start producing sprites again too. Love the brigand. He should be the easiest to sheet, just change a few frames at the beginning and end of the attack. Your shading is still nicely on point, even from the parts I think you customed. Seeing the others sheeted would be really cool too. Keep doing what you're doing.

Edited by deranger

More solid work. For whatever reason, the double knife guy is really cool to me. I guess it's just cause it's not like any existing fe class (pretty different stance than the assassin). Tall fighter and guy is cool because of the potential to just mess with the body types of classes.

Those are some great battle sprites, I really like the FIghter, Soldier, and Brigand (except for the face). Tall Fighter looks awkward to me, the body is too hourglass-y IMO and his head looks a bit too big.

• 2 weeks later...

@baldur

Glad you like the brigand and Vant. Can't say I am a big fan of the current brigand pose either... Its not bad but it looks almost too different from the other classes that it almost could be from an unrelated series.

As for the Tall Fighter as people seem to be calling him, was mainly thinking just an Axe in between the journeyman and reg Fighter size but with somewhat different shading from the original Fighter Axe.

@gabe

You sir are correct! *gives him an internet cookie*

(That cookie is worth a single custom battle sprite request of your choice later on in December if you so wish.)

Yeah, been reading Hasha no Tsurugi... I like the art and find the story amusing enough if perhaps a lil clichéd. Actually, I think the bits where actual FE6 story or alternate versions of said story happen are pretty well done... Loved the Zephiel chapter for instance... But Al's personal story just doesn't fit the tone of the rest of it usually.

I think a really good writer could find tweak the Al story into something awesome though... Its got potential, and some cool designs and ideas at least... And Zephiel dual wielding Echsachs and the Sword of Seals is pretty badass too!

@X-Naut

Thanks for the compliments. As for the Tall Fighter bring hourglass like... Yeah, I can see that a bit... May tweak that, but did want to maintain the buffer physique of the fighter which I guess resulted in that? Would you suggest widening the upper body? Or trying to get more of a V shape going?

Will have to think about the head size... Perhaps I should show some of my other attempts at the Fighter that I chose not to go with? Had an earlier vers with the head in a slightly more hunched position. Had BWDyeti's pirate resize in mind as to what I was going for, a slimming of the big sprite to make it more in line with normal FE sprites without losing the unique build.

...I personally liked this version as kind of an in between of the journeyman's pose and the old fighter, I feel like it accomplishes that, but I am definitely open to more suggestions for improvements.

@CancerLancer

an I may shin? Wut ish teh animayshun? :o

...but, but, but... Its hard! ...and takes solo much tiem lololollolipop

Seriously though, thanks. Will have to try once I get some free time after semester.

@deranger

Glad you like the Brigand and Fighter, and definitely glad you like the double knife dude! Proud of that Lil bugger... Been a character if mine for years, sprites in many styles so nice for this guy to finally get himself a FE sprite.

(Double Knife guy's moniker is Erwand, he is a thief by trade and has been in practically all the RPs and fantasy settings I have put him in... Used to be my screen name/ artist insert/ personal avatar till I decided to go by ErrantShepherd to differentiate myself from the character I created.)

...on the same page about different body types for FE classes... Definitely potentially interesting project.

-----------

...and yeah I guess may as well post my splice contest entry for thoughts on that.

sZ1YNH.png

...thoughts? Criticism, comments, cookies? All are welcome. :D

I like this portrait a lot (I love scars ahh)

A couple things I'm noticing though, the armor is kind of rough, like there's a ton of border color. When you look at the plate piece on the chest at actual resolution, it looks incredibly jaggy. I think you need to replace a lot of the border color, especially where it touches the lighter skin color, it's pretty jarring and makes it look a bit unfinished.

And then the scars also feel very consistently dark to me, especially the one that goes across his face. The shape of them is organic, but I don't think the scar would necessarily be the same depth all the way through his face, considering the topography of it, and you have to consider lighting a bit as well. I'd just lighten it up some on the nose or on the cheek, and then the one across his eye as well a bit. Don't be afraid to use the 2nd light color of the skin to make the scar fade, I think it'll make it look a bit less costumey.

Oh and the way his eye is shaded kinda makes it look like he has dark red/brown eyeshadow above his eye. Might wanna let some light shine in just a bit~ That is, if you're wanting to work on this more '3'

• 1 month later...

@deranger

Thanks, bud. I kinda like how it turned out too.

@Mew

...ah yes! Excellent critique and advice here! :D

Definitely agree on the jagged shading, saw that moreso after your mention, but wasn't quite happy with the breastplate armor-piece anyways. Will have to try and tweak it once I go over these mugs. Yeah, for the eye and nose I was trying to follow the shading in Dieck's portrait and didn't want to lose the scar into the rest of the facial shading... but I will have to see if I can try and lighten it up a touch, good point on the facial topography.

Yeah, apparently he was popular since I actually won the splice contest for once! :O

Gotta love scars...

...In the meantime update!

--------------------------

LATEST UPDATE: Dec. 16, 2014

Mugs

SF-SpliceContest112Entry_zps33282f75.png

-My last splice contest entry... SCHEMING ARISTOCRAT. I like the face I made for this guy, but looking at it now, realize the cape's shading on the right is not quite right, need to fix that.

I like the elements I was able to get in this piece, like the cravat/scarf thing he has going on, it feels not quite finished though... Like its close but not quite there yet for a finished piece... maybe more of the design in the trim would tie it together more? Or getting rid of it might be better?

His body seems maybe a little small as well? ...I dunno, he was supposed to seem lean and hungry-ish... but I dunno. :\

Battle Sprites

FE-Custom-Quinton_zps04816fc2.png

-I was fiddling around with an old custom battle sprite I had that never quite looked right to me, ended up turning it into a Lord character. ('cause you gotta have nobility in Fire Emblem :P)

I call him Quinton, or Quinn for short. Trying to decide on his weapons at the moment, currently thinking Axes to start, with his personal weapon being a Poleaxe and then promotes to lance use as well, but open to suggestions. As you can tell I referenced Hector when designing my own armor and cape, as well as a few other Lords for cape designs.

Think I like how the poses and capes turned out okay... I think I may want to make the Lance blade a bit more impressive, but am unsure what to do or if necessary... Also realized he looks vaguely like that mercenary I made for the last splice contest... Might have try to do something interesting with that. >_> <_<

FE-Custom-MercFemale_zps3ff870e5.png

-So... yeah, made a female Merc based off the proportional differences seen in the Hero sprites. I realize Dei/The Blind Archer already made a good looking fem-Merc... but I dunno the design was cool but also slightly different from the male Merc design, so thought I'd try to do something similar to what they have for the Myrms and Archers. Made a basic map sprite for this a lil lower down.

FE-Custom-Swordsman_zps6d00d6ed.png

-Myrmidons, Mercenaries... cool cool... Love those sword classes, how about a third? Make Myrms speedy, Mercs high atk/balance and then this guy... Defense? or balance based? ...I dunno, any suggestions for a cool name? Currently just calling it Swordsman.

Made this as a male counterpart to the edited beta Eirika female Mercenary sprite I saw in the rom hacking forum animation resource thread. Left or right design better?

Map Sprites

FE-Custom-MapSprites_zps7f48f016.png

-So... was messing around with Map sprites, made a custom one for that dual-dagger wielding thief, Erwand... need to to figure out something interesting for it. Female Merc, Big Soldier w/ axe, new Soldier, new Hero

------------------

...anyways that's what I've got for now, any thoughts, comments, criticisms or cookies very much appreciated.

Aye, maps sprites. We need more map spriters. Everything still looks solid, the merc-myrm is a cool skin. Based on beta-erika? Lord's first tier looks pretty ike like, kind of curious what he'd look like if you changed the hair and made him ike colours.

Merc-Myrm looks more like it would fit in as an option for people who want to merge the two classes (like the SNES Swordfighter) rather than as a stand-alone class, two mono-sword foot units is enough.

Big Soldier be buff, Quinton's impressive too but it looks like you're still settling on a design.

@deranger

Hmm... yeah, suppose the basic Lord outfit could be turned into Ike pretty easily, can see where you're coming from.

@X-Naut

So... You feel Quinn's tier one and tier two look don't quite mesh enough? ...If that's what you're saying I understand, as I was not sure if it quite worked myself... With that in mind, I tweaked Quinton again, first tried tweaking the Lord sprite, but wasn't liking the changes, then I tried making the Great Lord sprite design look less distant from the original Lord, and tried to make the Lance a bit cooler looking... still not quite happy with the lance, but need to make his Great Lord a cool axe design too.

FE-Custom-Quinton2_zpsea0f874e.png

-Flipped! ...because flipping sprites can help balance the design... Also made a young Lord, he's supposed to be a cocky little crown prince who wants to fight on the front lines but has been forced to take up archery instead to keep him out of direct combat... his sprite doesn't quite look right flipped at the moment... Scarf needs work as well.

Actually I was talking more along the lines of the lance and axe versions having different outfit designs that stay different in the second tier. A final design would have the costume remain static between weapons.

Also that spearhead looks like it's misaligned with the crossguard, if the shaft is treated as the axis the bottom is slightly tilted toward the viewer than the prongs.

FE-Custom-Quinton2_zpsea0f874e.png

Is that Rath's palette? Looks like Rath from Chaos Mode to me.

QRpjn44.png

@Klok

I don't know who Rath is... Is that Rath the nomad in Hector Great Lord sprite? Is Chaos Mode the FE7 Chaos mode romhack? I've only played FE7x out of the SF fangames so far...

Interesting that his palette turned out so similar. I base my palettes off the actual FE7 game sprites typically. For instance, Quinn's palette was a mix of oranges from Marcus and Oswin, Green from assassin Matthew and skin tones from a mix...

...making me glad I redesigned Quinn's Great Lord sprite, as now the armor is less Hector Great Lord reference based.

@X-Naut

Aha...I've been trying to figure out how to fix the angles on that.

If I understand what you're saying... You mean the shading of the spear head needs to be weighted more to the bottom of the spear?

...when you say misaligned, do you mean the angle itself or just the shading? Very much interested in trying to fix this one... Cooler looking at least?

...as for the different designs for the Axe and Lance wielding sprites they are meant to be Axe is the tier1 Lord class, tier2 Lord Quinn gets Spears, slightly bigger and more armor. I haven't designed his tier2 Axe yet, but it will be basically an upgrade of his initial poleaxe, probably hefted on his shoulder or something.(I know... So original that pose >.>)

If you were thinking the capeless versions were the tier1 Lord, those are just showing the initial armor separate from the current cape designs... As I like the armor but may or may not even give him a cape in the end.

...ah well, I think his tier2 redesign at least looks a Lil less hectorish in its design now.

...any thoughts on the little Bow Lord guys?

What's your reference for the bow lord's legs/foot placement? Right now his back leg seems a good deal shorter than his closer one, as in the torso is quite square to the camera while the legs aren't.

EDIT: It's hector's legs flipped, isn't it? Yeah, I don't think a body can turn that much from that kind of standing angle. You can try it yourself in a mirror, face you legs on way, turn your torso 90 degrees from that. It's not gonna be comfortable, and will be hard to explain via sprites. Eliwood's legs, or someone else who's side face, would work better. Hector's got a few frames (like frames 4 or 5) that would work better.

Out of curiousity, what sheets have you been working with most commonly? Hector's t1 and t2 obviously. I think I see a bit of eliwood. Anyone else? Mercs? - Whoops, guess the answer is mercs, soldiers, and most of the axe wielding classes.

I'd make sure you're not putting lances through capes. Its something that happens in some of IS's sprites even, I think, and has always bugged me.

Actually I was talking more along the lines of the lance and axe versions having different outfit designs that stay different in the second tier. A final design would have the costume remain static between weapons.

I think you're misinterpretting which sprite is which. Left to right is T2 lance, T1 axe, and then capeless T2 lance and T1 axe just to see what they look like capeless. Cape != promoted in this case.

Edited by deranger

I think you're misinterpretting which sprite is which. Left to right is T2 lance, T1 axe, and then capeless T2 lance and T1 axe just to see what they look like capeless. Cape != promoted in this case.

Oh, is that it? I thought that T1 = no cape, T2 = cape, and that he was tinkering with axe/lance T1, but I see what you're saying. Silly me.