Errant's Thread O' Sprites: ~Evolution~

ErrantDShepherd

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Fateborn

...ah, my mistake. The purple with white hair, eh? ...yeah I like the scheme myself, and will probably try to re-use it. Almost makes her resemble Soul Calibur's Ivy with those colors and short hairstyle.

@ Kramy

Yeah, that current green background is working well for me at the moment, but some other colors I have used haven't had enough contrast with the FE pallettes.

Glad you like the pose! ...so top row, third sprite preferred? Black pixels below for bottom sword?

I'm curious to see what switching the hands would look like. I do realize, as a fellow battle spriter, how much work that'd be though, and would be quite surprised if you did that.

If this is the place to argue the merits of a magic/bow lord, I'd say there aren't many. Bows and Magic both operate on the idea of dealing damage without taking it. Unlike close range weapons, logically there aren't many transferable skills between archery and magic (compared to swinging a sword and swinging an axe). Just my two scentences

@ levy

I will take a look at that. Thanks.

@ kramy

Cool, thanks for the feedback! Helps to get new eyes on these sometimes after staring at it for a few hours.

@ deranger

Not a bad idea, don't think it would take that much work ATM as its not like I have started sheeting these. May have to try it out to see.

Well thinking about it... Magic to bows doesn't make a lot of sense, but bows to magic isn't actually that crazy as it does give an archer something different, and a close range attack with the magic. It just doesn't make sense for the character I have in mind... And would be hard to balance. Magic to some other physical weapon can work, but magic to bows is where I think the class isn't really gaining much that it doesn't already have.

I dunno though, I guess from the frustrating Mist valkyrie class being less useful in PoR and the lack of mixed magic and attack classes in the GBA games I separate magic and physical classes in my mind.

@ MercLord

Actually, maybe more just either overpowered or just insanely squishy.

I encourage you to start trying your hand at animating. Your standing sprites are of excellent quality, and I expect you'd pick up on it very quickly. (I'm happy to help in what way I can, if you aren't sure where to start.)

Try making the bow lord do a simple attack. Make sure, if possible, to keep the whole body moving fluidly. If you get lazy and make only the arms and bow move, it'll look really stiff. Reference the archers and snipers in GBA and see how the whole upper body shifts a little bit.

malearcher.gif

The head movement can be important too.

Edited by Klokinator

Merry Christmas all, hope you enjoyed your Holidays or if not into it... Had a happy Wednesday/Thursday?

Family get togethers and commitments may have stopped me from working on my hobby over the past few days, but at least it was fun and so very filling... So much turkey... :o

Anyways, hope to have something to show and critique either late tonight after work or by tomorrow.

@ klok

Sounds like a good place to start. Part of me was tempted to just cheese the archer animations for Bow Lord... But that'd be a Lil lazy, lame, and probably wouldn't help me develop those skills as much.

Studying the little things in the sheet along with some references I has been helpful though, I think.

Thanks for providing the sheet for reference, and good suggestion! Those little movements will be good for me to work on anyways to make things animate more smoothly/naturally. (Now to just find a decent free animation program)

@ deranger

It sounds like a good place to begin. Other ideas I had were to maybe try some sheet edits for the Female Merc, sheeting the resize Fighter, and/or tweaking the Sword General animation into the Knight, as the General and Knight Lance movements have a similar base themselves.

-----

Any and all other thoughts, comments, criticisms, cookies or hey, ideas or references are very much appreciated!

Thanks for all the awesome feedback so far! ...I know it helps encourage me to get some sort of response, even if its telling me I did something wrong. ;)

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

Was fiddling around with an old edit I made of the Cavalier... Felt that the current Cav sprite looks awkward, but wanted to see if I could make it look a little more like Kent and Sain's official art with just a small tweak. Planning to try to get this tweak to the sheet finished up.

FE-Edit-CavaSain_zpsbc0ac191.png~origina

-Also thought Erik's pallette makes no sense/doesn't match his mug, so tried to make a pallette a bit more like the portrait. Oh yeah, and I made a standing sprite for the Cavaliers.

...I dunno, what do you people think? This minor edit worth sheeting? Just wanting the Cavalier to look a little bit better but not too different. Since this is not one of my scratch full custom works, I intend to make this a Public Domain edit.

All thoughts, comments, criticisms, cookies, and/or ideas as always very much appreciated!

Nice work, even if like Klok said, there might not be a use for it. But I like how you changed the hairstyles, lol Sain's cowlick and Lowen...needs a haircut nao.

If you want to sheet go for it. *gives cookie*

If you sprite paladin versions of FE7 characters, I'll put those in my Sacred Contention revamp. The cav versions though, not so much.

Edit: You know what'd be really great? A male Troubadour sprite that can promote to mageknight. I'd love that so much.

Edited by Klokinator

I'd say work on sheeting your own stuff - You have some really great bases to work from there, and you'll learn more in doing so. Reference/splice other images as necessary.

I don't see a lot of use for it unless you're actually tweaking the movement. It's a lot of work for very little reward. A new full custom animation would be much more useful.

There's no need to resprite the whole cavalier, Klok.

You can literally add 2 frames tops and fixes that animation. Sqawl has already done it for lances and I've been porting it to axes/swords.

Edit: You know what'd be really great? A male Troubadour sprite

Already exists, and pretty much can be made in an hour.,

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, so been working on some small things while back at school. Thought I would share them, mostly just updates to older concepts.

Custom-Fighter_zpsd377eae8.png

-Updated the Thinner Fighter. Think I'm going to sheet this... eventually.

WIP-Thief_zpse9a6ffbc.png

-Update to a request someone made ages ago for a revamped Thief. Always thought the way the Thief was completely covered up was a little odd. Bottom version is my personal favorite, but still not entirely okay with the shading. Hard to get it to look right.

Custom-MaleTroubadour_zps93b98dc6.png

-...and it seems like everyone an their uncle has a Male Troubadour up now, thought I might as well share my design.

-------

Will have some more updates over the next few weeks in between School work... Got some fun ideas/projects!

Thanks once again for all the feedback and comments! Will try and give some proper replies when I get a chance. As always all thoughts, comments, cookies and criticisms very much appreciated!

Wow, that male troub is awesome! I'm a huge fan of the middlemost/middle-right thief too, I also hate the general design of the vanilla thief. He looks kinda silly. As for the fighter, the vanilla fighter always seemed to have stupidly thick hands/arms to me, and your fighter actually looks worse because his body has shrank but the arms/hands did not. I'd recommend fixing those.

What if the Fem!Troub had a magic animation and the male Troub/Valk/Mageknight had sword animations in addition to staff animations for both? Would make a cool split. (Usable on FEXNA if not GBA at the least)

@ Klok

Hah, well to each their own on that Klok. I personally like the bigger arms and hands of the Fighter as I feel it gives the appropriate bulk/buffness to the character. Plus it'd be really weird if the current Warrior was used with the smaller Fighter and he had super skinny arms.

...But hey, you want a skinnier Fighter? May I present, Fighter Sizes. My project is to make a Big/Medium/Small version for the majority of the classes in order to have some more variety at least for Player Units.

Custom-FighterSizes_zps35ad3c12.png

-Regular Fighter, Resized Medium Fighter, Full Custom Small Fighter using an old base I made. Tried to get his axe more like the others but it looked best making it look like Ross'. Journeyman/Trainee is there for reference. In my mind, the current Journeyman size would translate to the Medium sized Fighter best, rather than the huge jump it makes to the old Fighter.

...Medium and Small fighters are also in revamped Fighter outfits. I have three more outfit variants sketched up that I want to have sprited for all the sizes as well to get some more variety.

[1:20:29 PM] : Idea is to have three size options for most of the classes
[1:20:42 PM] : So... Big fighter, Medium Fighter, Little Fighter
[1:20:51 PM] : ...and Ross for reference
[1:21:13 PM] : Little Fighter is one of the design revamps I have come up with though
[1:21:36 PM] : ...got 3 more outfit variants I want to sprite up
[1:22:00 PM] : as well as give the big/medium guys that outfit as well

----

Anyways, thoughts? Comments? Cookies? Criticisms? All input very much appreciated.

Edited by TheErrantShepherd