Errant's Thread O' Sprites: ~Evolution~

ErrantDShepherd

I think the legs are what's really Eirika-esque. I might move the near leg back a pixel. The near boot doesn't look quite right, too much shine in the middle

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just leave the bulk of the sprite the same... There's no overly compelling reason to have such huge variation in the builds and it just kind of makes the female soldier look very little by comparison. If we're playing by FE rules I think the only class that had that kind of variation is the Mage - all the other classes are more or less the same between their male/female counterparts.

@ Agro

Hmm... yeah, more or less... There is the general trend of a pixel at least of height difference though, and slightly different stances for the male and female variants though. But you are right it should not be too drastic.

@ Toa

Tried some different things with the legs. Think I agree that it was mainly those that were off... not quite there yet... but eh, getting better?

05f1079fd114a1c69b6bb890bcfc3cee.png

-Green Hair the new tweaks, less Eirika-ish, but not quite right just yet... Still need to fix some of the shading. Not quite pleased with dress atm either, had another version that I lost when laptop mysteriously shut down on me. :\

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

@ Ghast

...I uh, dunno what that means? >.>

@Brendor

lol... yeah, kinda right?

@ Vilk

hmm... Dunno about that. Tried a different fix.

4f756fa2de470e9ad625fb9cd218885d.png

-Better? Worse? ...same? I find when I try to go with the same size armor top and shoulders, it kinda bulks up too much/looks odd... Trying to find that sweet spot I guess... Wish I had a better way to suggest femininity than just a skirt/longer hair, shield kinda obscures things though. :\

Her back greave (the one on her right leg, which is on the left side of the sprite) looks too short? I would add two pixels instead of the full 3 that the male has for that top row, aligned to the left-most pixel.

Or maybe remove a pixel of height from the outside edge on the front leg, and the top-right-most pixel of the greave on the back leg-- in favor of the skin tones, since greaves tend to curve in the back for more comfort.

also you have access to another color, you could make a true white for the pants / shirt / spear?

... I feel weird for being able to tell that color difference at a glance. :/

This is my count:

4- skin/leather

4- blue

3- metal

2- hair

1- outline

= 14 of 15 colors allowed?

Edited by Eliwan

Slightly confused Eliwan... are you talking about this greave here? ...not seeing how this appears short as it is the same pixel height as the male one... just missing two darker blue pixels on top? Perhaps you could show me? ...especially if I misunderstood what you meant?

4e873e460d7be13b8ac745021b04e942.png

...as for the true white, I dunno that is really necessary? lightest skin tone and lightest white are sharing the same shade... of white at the moment... The lack of the full use of 15/15 colors is more just in case I decided to re-use the same base soldier body and take off the helmet, giving me access to three colors for the hair, whereas now, the female hair only needs two for what is shown, but could potentially be utilizing 3 colors when it moves.

I guess what I am saying, is as far as I am aware, it is using white already... where/what do you mean by utilizing true white?

Right now my color counts are pretty much the same.

006052195aab93157f8ca6a8d6a256f3.png

14/15... or 15/15 with the lightest green... for 15+1 for background for the insertable 16 color scheme?

-4 blue

-3 gray, used for metal and the clothes

-1 white/lightest color, used for the white of the clothes/metal, and lightest skin shade

-1 outline

-2 green+1 lightest green to show what I would use if needed, or likely will need should I animate it with hair movement.

More Slight Tweaks... would be good if I could start trying to convert the base sheet into this wouldn't it, well at least the male soldier. XD

6c481ff2667150c0a80600cfa1660f4a.png

-Adjusted the fem breastplate... not sure if better... fiddled with some slight shading things. Cut off pixel of the staff of the spear for each, as it was looking oddly long for the female for whatever reason. Still not super happy with the skirt, but eh. Problem is without the skirt its difficult to tell the gender.

...eh, this works for me for now.

0d17a8ea90b312a8a27c821c49d6bac4.png

-Slight reshading on the skirt, slightly changed pallete for hair... I dunno, anything standing out that needs fixing? Anything that was suggested I totally missed? Or failed to fix? Switched background color as the greyish one was making the grey's not stand out as much.

Feel pretty good with the male version at least. :o

The stance is definitely better now.

I'd prefer pants on the female soldier, personally; the size difference and hair is enough to tell them apart imo. It's not only more sensible, but the purpose of a uniform is to be, well, uniform. :P

Gender uniforms are a thing. /shot

Slightly confused Eliwan... are you talking about this greave here? ...not seeing how this appears short as it is the same pixel height as the male one... just missing two darker blue pixels on top? Perhaps you could show me? ...especially if I misunderstood what you meant?

Yes, exactly. The lack of those two pixels makes the greave seem much shorter than on the male-- it isn't the same height at all.

1 pixel of height when the item in question is 7 pixels tall in the first place corresponds to a reduction in height of 14%.

You'd notice ANYTHING that's 14% smaller or larger than it should be pretty quickly.

BmLMJI0.png

I meant as the two on the far right of this-- reincreasing the height of the greave to match, but perhaps resculpting it to show how the greave's height decreases-- to still keep the idea of the greave being the same size relative to the person.

...as for the true white, I dunno that is really necessary? lightest skin tone and lightest white are sharing the same shade... of white at the moment...

I guess what I am saying, is as far as I am aware, it is using white already... where/what do you mean by utilizing true white?

Right now my color counts are pretty much the same.

31-31-26 != 31-31-31 and I'm able to tell the difference at a glance because neeeeeeeeeeerd

(skin v true white)

The spear, pant leg, and skirt use(d) skin tone when they should've used pure white.

The lack of the full use of 15/15 colors is more just in case I decided to re-use the same base soldier body and take off the helmet, giving me access to three colors for the hair, whereas now, the female hair only needs two for what is shown, but could potentially be utilizing 3 colors when it moves.

Cavs use two colors for hair. Including female Cavs!

Hector, Mage Knights, Rangers and Troubadours do, too.

Priests, I think, as well.

I do not know what would be best. I'd say that you can get away with two colors on the hair even when you remove the helmet.

More Slight Tweaks... would be good if I could start trying to convert the base sheet into this wouldn't it, well at least the male soldier. XD

Please do, yours is so much better than the IntSys one. :|

6c481ff2667150c0a80600cfa1660f4a.png

-Adjusted the fem breastplate... not sure if better... fiddled with some slight shading things. Cut off pixel of the staff of the spear for each, as it was looking oddly long for the female for whatever reason. Still not super happy with the skirt, but eh. Problem is without the skirt its difficult to tell the gender.

Maybe include pants -and- the skirt?

Actually, make it more like a tutu or a flowy piece, since already having leg cover. :3

Or you could just not.

I actually prefer the unadjusted breastplate myself.

Nu8HKBO.png

I honestly, HONESTLY, see more value in the white than the extra hair definition, but maybe I'm not thinking enough about the hair.

... I'd like to add my own voice in in favour of separating the skin and metal colours. Otherwise if you wanted to change the metal colour to something else you wouldn't be able to do that without changing the colour of the skin! Plus, even characters like Priscilla can pull off two-toned hair pretty easily so I don't think it's a huge issue.

Edited by Agro

• 1 month later...

So... Been kinda crazy busy with real life. (Work/birth of second child/new landlords)

So haven't been around for a bit/had the free time I had hoped to have over the summer at all... I have had some people asking if they would be able to sheet/edit some of the stuff I have here though.

So, with that in mind I have decided if anyone wishes to edit/sheet or whatever some of these like the skinny fighter, new soldier, etc... Go right ahead! :D

...all I would ask is maybe some credit/mention for providing the base? Anyways, if anything I have made is actually useful for some people, or able to be turned into something animatable by people with the time in their hands... That'd be awesome! :)

Therefore... Consider all the sprites here as Public Domain unless otherwise indicated. ;)

Congrats on the baby, man!

Hope you can still have a chance to join in spriting sometime, but life first. ^^; Thanks for putting stuff into public domain too (I'll probably play a bit with them in secret, and attribute you if I post any results from 'em)~

Whoo congrats on the baby! It's no wonder why you've been away from skype. It's pretty awesome of you to have your work go public domain. I still look forward to any updates that you may do whenever you get the chance to. =D

• 1 month later...

Thanks so very much for all the kind words and congratulations!

Life has been hectic as hell... but in the meantime in my spare time I've been following along with all the info and leaks about the latest Fire Emblem... Fire Emblem IF/Fates.

I really enjoyed Lumi/Thor's Kamui maker/Robin maker apps, but found myself wondering what would happen if say, one tried combining some of the previous Avatar Robin's hairsets with the newest Avatar, Kamui... Below you will find the unfortunate results...

...I've created a monster! DX

53b1bedf9874baca430a1d39abc289ea.png

...In need of a haircut. *cuts a little off*

518a7df9c09eb5804f1bb12771884910.png

Wow... okay... Bishounen Lord? Still needs a bit of a trim... *snips*

dbe635455f26661d5d58b6831b360c37.png

Huh... that's uh... not horrible. Might have to try fiddling with that some more.

So yeah, I have learned that male Kamui has a funky head shape/angle compared to Robin... along with different shading... but hey, its been amusing me, been interesting to fiddle around with. :)

The following has been Errant screwing around with learning how to use layer based paint programs. I hope it amused you perhaps? :P

EDIT:

Kamehame....HAH... XD

44adc385c68a486f93ebe45ff11306fd.png

This legit makes me wish Kamui had gotten some more hair options... seriously, why does only Female Kamui get a style like this? Makes no sense... >.<

EDIT2:

Think I am starting to get more of the hang of this...

19529da7b62ade932f577a0eb3eb3818.png

Hah... I would have so many options for players of choose from. XD

Need to start figuring out my color options... But thought I'd share some of these that looked interesting. Portraits are technically still sprites right? >.> <.<

On the Femui and hairstyles, that is an excellent question! My initial feeling is they should look pretty decent to actually quite good :D

The head angle on the Female Kamui is more common/usual whereas the Male Kamui's have an angle that makes matching up the other angled hairstyles more challenging. :\

BTW in case anyone else feels like messing around with some of these layers/images themselves there is a decent tutorial I found in this thread on the IF/Fates subforum. Spoiler Warning: Portrait link in tutorial does contain all characters from what I remember though, for those wishing to avoid any seeing those.