why do you hate awakening?

I am aware that many longtime fe fans dislike awakening for one reason or another so I want to ask why you guys hate it

my reason for disliking it is because it has ended up being the most popular game in the series but ended up making fire emblem: awakening fans and not fire emblem fans

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but ended up making fire emblem: awakening fans and not fire emblem fans

I know where you're coming from...

That's called being a hipster, sir.

I don't dislike Awakening... I dislike the uprising of rabid fans that we already had enough of as a result of it. As in take a good look around at the even crappier post quality in the forums and the (hilarious) influx of self-insert fanfiction.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I know where you're coming from...

That's called being a hipster, sir.

I don't dislike Awakening... I dislike the uprising of rabid fans that we already had enough of as a result of it. As in take a good look around at the even crappier post quality in the forums and the (hilarious) influx of self-insert fanfiction.

I dislike a few things about Awakening... like the story and 'two extremes' difficulty levels, but I think my biggest gripe was explained perfectly in this post.

Well hey that happens when any anime thing gets popular. Or media in general.

I only have one legitimate gripe: the model quality was a little low for a 3DS game. Other than that, my only problems with Awakening mostly consist of very small nitpicks (Rally Luck gives +8 LCK but Luck Tonic doesn't give an increased amount of luck, some characters have very limited support, some of the chapters feel like they are just there to fill space, etc.)

Oh, and some of the characters were pretty bland. Yarne is always scared and is interesting in no way other than that, Lucina doesn't have much to offer out of "I can't get a joke", and Tharja is just...bleh. Actually, now that I think about it, most of the children are really bland and one-sided.

Awakening was my first and is now my least favourite ever as I despise the pairing system it be OK if there was no my unit so we didn't get this waifu shit! Also I hate the the simplicity of route enemy or level grinding its Gaiden with out the fun...

I don't hate Awakening, but I do dislike several things about it.

- The story. It REALLY hurts this game. It feels rushed and boring.

- The main characters. Chrom and Lucina are both boring as hell. I find the Avatar to be interesting, but I felt he/she also had the potential to be even better.

- The villains. They all kind of suck too. Gangrel is interesting once you play his paralogue, but that's it.

- Morgan's non-Avatar parent support being extremely generic and bleh. It could've been much better, seriously.

- The map objectives. Ugh, this is the worst thing. It's always rout the enemy or defeat the boss. What happened to all the cool objectives RD gave us?

- Lack of previously introduced features. There's no ledge climbing feature, no ballistae, no light magic, no trinity of magic, no triangle attacks, none of that cool stuff. :(

- Replacing Falcon Knights' swords with staves. Wtf...

That's pretty much all I can think of.

- Replacing Falcon Knights' swords with staves. Wtf...

Staves are infinitely more useful than swords...

The story is the worst out of all FEs, the heroes are buckets of tropes with no depth, plenty of disturbing traits and no self-awareness, the villains reek and have poor to no motives, the map design isn't very interesting, and there's a very large jump in difficulty between Hard and Lunatic that many people can't handle. Aside from that, what SoC said (I happen to like Awakening despite its flaws, but there are people who take it waaay too far).

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

It feels to mainstream, the my unit, the supports are rather blah and it feels like IS was trying too hard to get new fans in to FE and not really caring what the old fans would want.

>Implying that there wasn't already a metric butt-ton of self-insert fanfiction for FE

I don't hate Awakening. I still play it and enjoy it. However, I feel that it lacked much of what made Fire Emblem, well, FE.

I don't like the MU feature very much because FE traditionally has a large cast of colorful and fun characters. We didn't need an avatar to get into Magvel or Tellius or Jugdral, or Marth's original games. Maybe if Robin was written so he was less of a spotlight stealer, or hell, if he was just the main lord in general that would be fine, but the way the support system is done just does not do characterization any favors.

The marriage system doesn't really serve a purpose. Unlike FE4, where the marriage system existed because the parents were going to get wiped out and their children were going to take up the baton, in FE13 it's just there for … shipping. Which, admittedly, FE has encouraged. But at least the "shipping" part generally only came up at the end in the character endings. In this game it's all over the place with marriage event tiles and barrack quotes. Also, the lack of friendship endings kind of show that this game's priorities is all shipping.

The plot sucks. Other people have discussed this already.

I don't hate it, but I have a few problems with it though.

-The story is cheesy.

-Emmeryn being brought back from the dead. Basically it really soiled her sacrifice and makes her death way less significant.

-Lucina and Chrom are dull. (Gasp.) Especially after one gets over the superfanboy and fangirl craze.

-Intelligent Systems tried way too hard to bring the old games back with spotpass and the dlc. The only dlc maps I liked were all the Future Past ones. (It was more interesting than the story tbh.)

-The support conversations. Don't get me wrong, the support system really covered major weak points within having a "large" cast of characters within a video game, however, a large number of support conversations are so poorly written that it makes me cry. (PriamxFeMu (He basically fell for her after she did his laundry,) A and B for ChromxFeMu (They should have combined A and B, then made a separate A conversation, Gerome conversations are horridly bland (exception being NoirexGerome. Never been a fan of the silent lone wolf type that just ends up having an adorable side,) Miriel conversations that weren't with Lon'qu, and TharjaxFeMU ( should have an option to go lesbian for Tharja imo) to name a few.

-If anything, the game made it feel like the MaMu was superior to FeMu. (But that's just me I think.)

-The avatar ending overriding every spouse in the game.

Edited by Subsonic

>Implying that there wasn't already a metric butt-ton of self-insert fanfiction for FE

Being someone who had the Japanese release before and prowled the cesspool that is the FE fanfic section on FF.net for laughs...

There's a huge noticeable difference.

Edited by shadowofchaos

The story is the worst out of all FEs, the heroes are buckets of tropes with no depth, plenty of disturbing traits and no self-awareness, the villains reek and have poor to no motives, the map design isn't very interesting, and there's a very large jump in difficulty between Hard and Lunatic that many people can't handle. Aside from that, what SoC said (I happen to like Awakening despite its flaws, but there are people who take it waaay too far).

Wow, this guy is literally my spirit animal!

Also that there are some very bad balance choices on the player unit side; there are a few things you can do to trivialize the game (lowmanning, Second Seal whoring Avatar and their kids) unique to this title, and things are much harder when you don't use them. Map design is uninteresting sometimes, but there are just a few too many strangely convenient and inconvenient circumstances to say it's bad map design.

I, for one, very much enjoy the title, and can't deny its commercial success. Hell, that may make it the second best title for Fire Emblem, second only to Super Smash Brothers Melee, just for its importance re: the series' continuation.

I don't dislike awakening. it just has a few flaws. I mean, they could have worked alot more on the children and their non parent supports.It was pretty much the same Also, I know people will say catria effect blah blah blah crap Chrom x Cordelia should have been possible. A few characters were dull, but some were actually pretty cool. And some characters get too much fanservice.

Edited by BlazeX635

The only beef i have with the game is its story. Everything else, i find really fun. I even dont mind Avatar being a thing, but am miffed there is no Silent Protag option. (srsly, if we see another game with an Avatar, can i have Silent Mode pl0x?) The worldbuilding and story is sloppy, but everything else is just too much fun.

The only beef i have with the game is its story. Everything else, i find really fun. I even dont mind Avatar being a thing, but am miffed there is no Silent Protag option. (srsly, if we see another game with an Avatar, can i have Silent Mode pl0x?) The worldbuilding and story is sloppy, but everything else is just too much fun.

This

Not on Falcon Knights, who never have worthwhile magic stats.

It's not really the Magic stat of the Falcon Knights that make them worthwhile as staff users -- it's the mobility: 8-10 tiles on a given turn and can fly over any terrain. It's the biggest reason that Falcon Knights are more frequently used as lategame staff users when compared to Sages and such.

On a whole I liked the game, but there were two things that really annoyed me: mission variety and the Avatar.

Mission variety: Why are there only rout/defeat commander missions?! Slogging through hordes of reinforcements designed to screw you over time and time again gets boring, especially when the objective makes no sense. For example, when we're attacking the Valmese fleet why are we not boarding their ships to set THEM on fire? I didn't get why I had to go and kill all of the troops on board these Valmese transports only to then throw away half of our own fleet as fireships. I was expecting and would have liked to have a mission akin to 3-3 of Radiant Dawn, where you have to rush against the clock to burn certain objectives. I also really miss defense missions, just because they always made me feel epic standing against the tide that you're not supposed to defeat, just endure (3-13). There aren't even any seize missions, a staple of the series. All in all, boring missions.

The Avatar: There are endless reasons people dislike this feature. I personally like it, but I feel that even though he/she is supposed to be you he/she really isn't. You can give a name, appearance, voice, asset, and flaw, but the personality (or lack of one) is set in stone. I can see why, since IS wanted to let you support with everyone, but that completely destroys any chance of you creating your Avatar's personality anywhere except in your mind. In contrast Blazing Sword lets you be whatever sort of character you want, since "Mark" never speaks and really never even does anything in the entire game. Throughout Awakening I never really felt like the Avatar was me, just another character I happened to have designed. I wish IS could have allowed more player decisions in the game (like when you choose whether or not to resist Lucina), and have that as well as some gameplay-based factor determine the sort of supports you could have. Admittedly this would probably be too much work and might turn off casual fans.

• Also, has anyone noticed that the Avatar is always shown as ridiculously tall in confession scenes whenever he/she is actually in the picture? Clearly this is to avoid having to show the face, but it's rather bizarre when Priam only comes up to your shoulders.

Not on Falcon Knights, who never have worthwhile magic stats.

Have you played Awakening? This is... just plain wrong. Sure, your starting Pegs don't have amazing Magic, but they still have a bazillion Move. And Rescue. And are guaranteed to have access to a class with Galeforce. Please tell me you can do this math. Please.