Are there Any Stafy/Starfy Fans Lurking Around Here?

Naglfar94

Hey guys recently I have discovered this adorable game series called Densetsu no Stafy I have Currently played Densetsu no Stafy 1 and Densetsu no Stafy 3 and working on 2. Of course the game series is Japan only except for the 5th game Legendary Starfy.

But yeah I played almost all the GBA entries and I am blown away at them they are so unique and just as cute or cuter than Kirby. but I have never seen such a blend of Marine action and platform mixed in one game and it works well. So my question is has anyone else here heard of the game or is a fan of the series? As I noticed via youtube searches and web searches that this amazing game series does not have the attention it should have or a proper fan base there is very little stuff on it around.

The series was quite a hit in Japan and the first USA release did amazing so yeah are there any fellow fans of the series possibly lurking around here on SF? and if you played the series which have you played? I have all 3 GBA entries but missing the DS ones. Heh I know the series did not completely die or become forgotten maybe there is some more fans scattered about that has had a chance to experience these titles.

Edited by Naglfar94

Dang, hitting me with the Nostalgia! I absolutely loved the DS game; must've played it at least 10 times. Funny, I never knew there was more than 1 game in the series. Ah, too bad for me (It's against my policy to emulate).

I've played the DS one. I really enjoyed it! It was really cute and I absolutely loved the story and characters! The game play was tons of fun too. Especially, the transformations. :)

Edited by DancingDanny

I've only played The Legendary Starfy, which I found at a Gamestop for just $7 (What a steal!).

I was genuinely surprised this series stayed in Japan for so long. It's got the cuteness of Kirby and the timeless fun of Mario.

Actually, I'd prefer a new Starfy game for 3DS to New Super Mario Bros. 3 or whatever the next Mario game is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tocur1cgTsY

Edited by Zera

Ah, I played the localized one~ Memories~ Way better than Kirby though, yeah

I will have to agree with that I am currently enjoying them more than I did Kirby man everytime I think that half the series did not make it to the US I get upset Starfy is sooo cute.

I've played the DS one. I really enjoyed it! It was really cute and I absolutely loved the story and characters! The game play was tons of fun too. Especially, the transformations. :)

I really have to play the DS ones at some point when I either find them or somehow get a DS emulator to work on my computer. Eh Starfy can transform in the DS games? I never knew that he can`t do that in the first 3 i am playing.

Dang, hitting me with the Nostalgia! I absolutely loved the DS game; must've played it at least 10 times. Funny, I never knew there was more than 1 game in the series. Ah, too bad for me (It's against my policy to emulate).

Ooh I can imagine you unlocked all the stuff playing it that many times Starfy games have many post game extras and even multiple endings at times. But yeah there are others in the series you should give them a shot via importing since you don`t emulate they are not hard to play through in japanese at all even with no knowledge is all straight forward.

I've played and completed all of them except for the 4th one. Well, I technically still had a few outfits to buy in 2 and 3 and I didn't unlock the sound test in the 1st one despite completing the bestiary, but I did get all the chests in those three.

Overall, the 5th one is my most favourite due to all the content it has (I enjoy the interviews way more than I should) and how nice and charming the story and cutscenes are (especially for a sidescroller, where story isn't really supposed to be a strong point). Though music-wise, the 1st one is definitely my favourite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRrth3SRa7g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTKIpeC1I7Q

I love the Legendary Starfy series. My room is covered in Starfy stuff :).

It's been over six years since the last Starfy game, but I still hope there'll be a new one some day. I've fully completed all five Legendary Starfy games, and it partly inspired me to study Japanese.

I also work on a Starfy Wiki as the editor in chief. It may be useful for looking up enemy locations for the Zukan, how to get certain Stuff, how to get certain music in the Sea Jams, and more. However, there aren't many editors, and I seem to be the only one left.

The Legendary Starfy series is relatively obscure. Outside of places like DeviantArt and GameFAQs and various articles that talk about the series collectively, I haven't seen people discuss it in English. Sadly there isn't an active Starfy forum (there was one but it didn't catch on) or fan-site other than Starfy Wiki (there used to be a site called Salt Water Stafi but it went down). Starfy Wiki is probably the only active English fan-site.

There is a Japanese blog called imasara where "little y", the author sometimes makes Starfy fan-art, and you can find some great Starfy artwork on Pixiv. Strangely there seems to be no dedicated Japanese Starfy reference base.

The Legendary Starfy series was relatively successful. The marketing seemed to be great. Starfy is often associated with Japanese tarento Becky.

Though this doesn't necessarily indicate the series' success, various merchandise was made relating to the series, like playing cards, CDs (only commercial songs though), manga (not too surprising, but the manga is good) and even stuff like confectionery and line drawings to add to tiles/glass windows. There are two Starfy stuffed toys made by Tomy and San-Ei Boeki Trade (I have the smaller Densetsu no Starfy 4 one by Tomy, the bigger one is so hard to find!) and there is a more obscure set of beanbag toys made by Tomy.

Edited by Torchickens

Though this doesn't necessarily indicate the series' success, various merchandise was made relating to the series, like playing cards, CDs (only commercial songs though), manga (not too surprising, but the manga is good) and even stuff like confectionery and line drawings to add to tiles/glass windows. There are two Starfy stuffed toys made by Tomy and San-Ei Boeki Trade (I have the smaller Densetsu no Starfy 4 one by Tomy, the bigger one is so hard to find!) and there is a more obscure set of beanbag toys made by Tomy.

Pretty interesting. Know where I could get the playing cards from a reliable place online?

Pretty interesting. Know where I could get the playing cards from a reliable place online?

Unfortunately I can't see any online at the moment.

I saw both versions (the blue "Starfy Swimming in the Sea" version and the pink "Starfy Standing on the Beach" version) on eBay one time (June 2013 to be precise) and bought them, but special Starfy merchandise like that seems to be uncommon on eBay. Maybe you should consider asking the seller nomimax_japan if they can get more, though it's possible it was just a one off.

Before getting both versions, I got a better version of the blue version from Amazon Japan. Japanese auction sites like Yahoo Auctions Japan, Amazon Japan and Rakuten are good places to look, but you may not be able to buy them outside of Japan (Yahoo Auctions expects you to have a Japanese bank account last time I checked). To buy my blue version from Amazon Japan I used a service called Japonica Market, but you'd have to pay more.

Edited by Torchickens

The Legendary Starfy series is relatively obscure. Outside of places like DeviantArt and GameFAQs and various articles that talk about the series collectively, I haven't seen people discuss it in English. Sadly there isn't an active Starfy forum (there was one but it didn't catch on) or fan-site other than Starfy Wiki (there used to be a site called Salt Water Stafi but it went down). Starfy Wiki is probably the only active English fan-site.

I think the series is obscure because there have only been five titles in over a decade, and only one of them has been released outside of Japan.

It's difficult to have a fanbase when said fanbase has only one game to talk about... Which is why we need a 3DS Starfy game!

I love the Legendary Starfy series. My room is covered in Starfy stuff :).

It's been over six years since the last Starfy game, but I still hope there'll be a new one some day. I've fully completed all five Legendary Starfy games, and it partly inspired me to study Japanese.

I also work on a Starfy Wiki as the editor in chief. It may be useful for looking up enemy locations for the Zukan, how to get certain Stuff, how to get certain music in the Sea Jams, and more. However, there aren't many editors, and I seem to be the only one left.

There is a Japanese blog called imasara where "little y", the author sometimes makes Starfy fan-art, and you can find some great Starfy artwork on Pixiv. Strangely there seems to be no dedicated Japanese Starfy reference base.

The Legendary Starfy series was relatively successful. The marketing seemed to be great. Starfy is often associated with Japanese tarento Becky.

Yeah I wish this series could have more of a fan base outside japan and I never heard of imasara before interesting. I heard of the Starfy mangas once before though not sure if they can be found anywhere to read though I better look.

Ah!! you edit on the starfy wiki!? and you are the only active editor there? well umm... hey mind if I join? I can help as much as I can.

I've played and completed all of them except for the 4th one. Well, I technically still had a few outfits to buy in 2 and 3 and I didn't unlock the sound test in the 1st one despite completing the bestiary, but I did get all the chests in those three.

Overall, the 5th one is my most favourite due to all the content it has (I enjoy the interviews way more than I should) and how nice and charming the story and cutscenes are (especially for a sidescroller, where story isn't really supposed to be a strong point). Though music-wise, the 1st one is definitely my favourite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRrth3SRa7g

Yeah I have to agree on that Starfy 1 has one of the best OST in the series for me too and Starfy 3 that ones OSt is great to the second game however it`s OST did not strike me as much as 1 and 3 did but still great. You heard Coral Reef from the first game? I love that one a lot!

Edited by Naglfar94

Sure. Anyone can join (except bots/spammers). :)

I have the mangas (apart from most of the obscure Sayori Abe series that was never released in tankōbon form and the Character Parfait manga) and wrote summaries of the chapters with another user Star Light, such as this one. I don't want to scan and upload every page though because of copyright.

Edited by Torchickens