does anyone know why FE8 enemies are tougher in (J) than (U)?

i asked this question in a previous topic, but it didn't get any answers. i've noticed that in every observable instance up until chapter 7, FE8 enemies are tougher in the japanese version than in the US version. is there a specific reason for this? do (J) enemies have higher class growths, or higher personal bases, or more HM bonus levels?

I never checked, but maybe it's related to this?

If the enemy is a generic in FE8 Easy/Normal mode (I haven't checked the Japanese version), throw away all of the stats gained up to this point. The enemy gains N-3 Levels (and no promoted Levels) from the class base stats.

Perhaps in the Japanese version they gain N-1 Levels instead like you'd expect?

What's the difference like anyway? 1-2 points?

What's the difference like anyway? 1-2 points?

yes, but your quoted statement is referring to why EM/NM promoted enemies are so bad in FE8. i made this observation in HM.

EDIT: these are the same slim lance soldier from chapter 7:

hpesd4w.pngmgvjimQ.png

the differences are subtle, but they're too consistent across enemies to feel like random variation.

Edited by dondon151

It is because the growth rates in FE8( J ) are far less then in (U) like 55% strength in (U) is only 35% in (J) also do you know about megaman in japan only having a hard mode or devil may cry usally had only one version in japan but the american were crying because it is too hard so they employed normal mode and made normal mode hard mode

It is because the growth rates in FE8( J ) are far less then in (U) like 55% strength in (U) is only 35% in (J)

That doesn't make sense when the enemies are stronger.

I'm guessing class growths are different, although if the gap doesn't increase as the game progresses, I'm guessing it would be more their personal bases as units.

Hard mode bonus levels
FE8U: 1-4
FE8J: 3-6

Also, FE8U easy mode enemies are 2 levels weaker than FE8J easy mode. This adjustment in FE8U easy mode is probably what causes some of the promoted enemies to have their class base stats only.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to necro an old topic, but I'm very curious about the changes made from the Japanese version to the American version. From what I've seen, it's not that the US version is simply easier/dumbed down. A Fire emblem wiki posts the growth rates for the characters in the different versions, and the Japanese growth rates are almost always higher, sometime a difference of up to 15%, pretty significant. The trainees seemed to be hit the hardest. Amelia had an extra 10% in HP and 5% in Strength. Ewan lost 10% in Magic.

I've tried to google a list of all changes made from the different versions, but I was unsuccessful in doing so. Anyone have the scoop?