Does anyone else feel as though the relationship between Marth and Caeda is a tad forced?

I mean, they get a support in fe12, but that's just about it. And that's after the two of them get engaged. I never really understood how the two of them fell in love with each other in the first place. In fe11 they literally only speak one time to each other over the course of the game until the epilogue where they make Caeda seem like such a huge character. If she dies, Marth even goes on to say that out of everyone, she's the one he wanted to protect most, but it seems she was the one protecting him. I get there are some hints in that game, like how Caeda asks Ogma to protect Marth, and how Marth gets jealous when Caeda flirts with Roger, but the fact that the two don't even interact in game just bothers me.

It just feels like the game is telling us that they love each other, but never really shows us. While instead, it the game goes out of its way to show both Marth and Caeda becoming close to other characters. Throughout the game, Marth is constantly having intimate conversations with Nyna that anyone could mistake for love, while Caeda is often times shown flirting with characters like Jake, Roger, and having a very close bond with Ogma. Not only this, but outside the main games, this kind of stuff happens even more.

In the manga adaption Marth is hinted to have feelings or at the very least seems to be infatuated with Minerva not only do to her fighting prowess, but because she reminds him so much of Elice. Minerva in turn, is also hinted to have feelings for Marth as shown when Michalis asks Minerva if she has romantic feelings for him causing her to just walk away.

In the extra chapter in fe12 where you play as Oguma, after completing the chapter there's a scene where Ogma is sitting by a lake telling Caeda about how she changed his life for the better, and that even when she goes off to marry Marth in Altea, he will allways protect her. This moment even causes Caeda to break down in tears saying stuff like "Ogma, even after i Marry Marth, I want you to know, that you will always... i will." Ogma then interrupts her from saying something she would most likely regret and tells her it would be alright.

Honestly, to me Marth and Caeda just doesn't work all to well. The only evidence I really ever got of these two was from some scenes of the anime and manga, but never the game itself. Does anyone else feel this way.

Nope, Ive never even thought about this but the evidence you show is a bit convincing.

Edited by Serah

Still a better love story than Twilight.

FE11 just can't convey anything beyond the basic storyline. It's the most bland game ever.

Because of what Shiida says in her convo with Ogma on FE11, and what Marth says in Epilogue if she died, I'm pretty sure that they do love each other. I don't think that the fact she talks to Jake, Roger and Ogma means much, she's probably just good at convincing those guys (and improvising, like in Roger's convo) as Lorenz says if she recruited him.

I thought it was sufficient to be quite honest. There's a lot of interaction between them that isn't show directly in the games too I believe.

Edited by DragonLord

Not really, they lived together for a long time before the beginning of FE11, so I figured out they were in love with each other before FE11 started.

It's not nearly as bad as Sigurd and Deirdre.

Shadow Dragon's plot I suppose is suffering from simply not being able to deliever more back story that could probably exist in the first place. Wasn't FE1 developed by like 4-5 people? That sounds very reminiscent of indie games of today. I am not saying it is impossible for indie games to be very good plot-wise, but in general it seems unlikely for indie games to have a good plot. FE is generally about gameplay anyway more so than story arcs and such. It is a component, but after while I doubt many people are rereading the same dialogue on each playthrough.

In that vein, it does not seem surprising to me that you have a simple story element of let us have these two love each other without much backstory or future development. It would have been nice if in FE11 that expanded since remake and all.

Edited by Vorena

Man if Sheeda didn't marry Marth, Nina could have married Marth and FE12 wouldn't have happened.

Hardin would have still been pissed off. You can see his jealousy when Nina talks to Marth in fe11

Marth and Caeda were living with each other for years (4 years since the prologue happens when Marth is 12 and FE11 Chapter 1 happens when he's 12) before FE11 Chapter 1 occurred. That's more than enough time to fall in love.

Besides, Sigurd x Diedre is far more forced than Marth x Caeda is, since Marth x Caeda had far more time to develop.

Also, FE manga adaptations aren't canon. FE4 and it's discrepancy between certain pairings between mangas is a really good example of this (eg: Lex x Ayra being in one manga while Holyn x Ayra being in another). And a lot of people would argue that Hector x Florina and Lyn x Rath in the FE7 manga isn't canon (I personally am not very picky with the canon FE7 lord pairings, as long as they're possible in-game).

Shadow Dragon's plot I suppose is suffering from simply not being able to deliever more back story that could probably exist in the first place. Wasn't FE1 developed by like 4-5 people? That sounds very reminiscent of indie games of today. I am not saying it is impossible for indie games to be very good plot-wise, but in general it seems unlikely for indie games to have a good plot. FE is generally about gameplay anyway more so than story arcs and such. It is a component, but after while I doubt many people are rereading the same dialogue on each playthrough.

In that vein, it does not seem surprising to me that you have a simple story element of let us have these two love each other without much backstory or future development. It would have been nice if in FE11 that expanded since remake and all.

FE1 was considered a doujin game that should not sell in the first place by its own creator

go figure

Honestly considering how limited FE1 is(Marth did not even have fucking dialogue for every chapter ffs), I honestly think the staff did an excellent job with FE11. The "limited" writing is done well, and the dialogue that Marth does get in the end is very satisfying to read on

And yeah even if Nyna married Marth, Hardin will still be Marth's best friend and become a King of his own country, get jelly, got darksphered, does the shenanigans that happened in FE12, resulting in Marth leaving his country. And then Gharnef strikes back, takes Nyna and Marth's hot sister away, killing 2 birds in one stone and boom FE12 plot happened

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...