I have to agree with the "only if there's a timeskip" crowd. While I feel like the children in Awakening were some of the better written characters, the fact that they were optional to the game's completion meant that they were criminally underutilized in the story.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the next game has children, please heaven let it be a time skip and not more time travel. I know time skips really limit the type of stories that can be told, but let's be honest; the fire emblem series could really use another game where the main character actually loses, not just spending his time winning really poorly like Chrom did in Awakening. If we have children, give me a Genealogy like story, hell it's been almost 20 years since they wrote that memorable story.

I think keeping children involved would be fine. Although, I'd like it if there was a time skip like FE4, and the role of the children to be larger. Or, as earlier mentioned in the topic, parallel storylines. *jumps aboard the bandwagon against time travel*

And I really, really hope the children don't get so OP like certain cases in Awakening.

I think keeping children involved would be fine. Although, I'd like it if there was a time skip like FE4, and the role of the children to be larger. Or, as earlier mentioned in the topic, parallel storylines. *jumps aboard the bandwagon against time travel*

And I really, really hope the children don't get so OP like certain cases in Awakening.

They were a LOT more OP in Genealogy.

Hmmm I'm torn - creating super children is one of the most fun things in awakening, but I feel like putting it in place made the support convos lackluster.

I wouldn't mind them taken out if we got some other form of character building in its place - maybe S rank supports have some crossover in classes/skills/stats given to their partner (this also allows for non romantic S ranks).

If they do then I have to say I agree with the time skip instead of travel crowd.

Edited by ckc22

Well guess I'm part of that minority that says no kids at all not for at least 5 more games I don't want a fire emblem: wifu simulator 2 besides it wouldn't feel right if this series was demoted to glorified "dating sim" like everyone on the internet has been calling it.

• 2 weeks later...

I say no children. Get to S support, which, rather than it being marriage, the culmination of a relationship, it is instead the start of a relationship, much how most A supports worked in the past. And, also like past A supports, paired endings can have characters married, etc etc.

I really enjoyed the character building/min/maxing etc. that came from pairups -> children. But I'd rather them see some ways of customizing your units without needing children - I think it really limits the story options greatly.

I say no children. Get to S support, which, rather than it being marriage, the culmination of a relationship, it is instead the start of a relationship, much how most A supports worked in the past. And, also like past A supports, paired endings can have characters married, etc etc.

Agreed. If they do this, I do hope they show a little portrait of the family and a child. That'd be nice and it'd make sense since it is the ending. Still, I don't know if they would do that considering I think more people liked the instant marriage thing then the start of one like in past FE games.

*hops on the no time travel bandwagon*

I also didn't enjoy S rank equaling marriage, especially because it seems REALLY forced for every pairing.

...I do want kids though, not bland children like Lucina is, but like, interesting characters.... That twenty year skip that's been suggested a few times sounds like the best way to go if the story would permit it.

...Then which system would you want? Those are the only two options I can think of, unless you want the children characters to fight as newborns lol

...Then which system would you want? Those are the only two options I can think of, unless you want the children characters to fight as newborns lol

I'm against children altogether (lol, don't take that out of context). If present, S-rank should just be for paired endings or support bonuses.

I'm against children altogether (lol, don't take that out of context). If present, S-rank should just be for paired endings or support bonuses.

I'd be alright if they took a five or six game hiatus from children as well, I just don't see IS not coming back with something that was so popular in Awakening. So, if it's coming back; let's please do it right.

I'm for having children as playable characters without that tedious little time travel mechanic being implemented. FE4 actually had a good way to do this without all that mumbo-jumbo if it had more time in development.

SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO PLAY FE4 AND DON'T KNOW EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS MID-GAME

In the last battle of the first generation, everyone is already married and has kids, but things aren't looking to good so they send the children elsewhere with the two youngest members of their group to protect them along with having one character absent (Finn) to potentially show up later to help them. The parents fight and win but are betrayed later. Instead of that infamous scene where they all get meteorized to death, they were simply going to turned into stone with the exception of my favorite 3 knights of Chalphy who died in battle. Using this method, the children would then after growing up fight their parent's enemies and at some point free them for them stone imprisonment. That way the parent and the child generations could mix without having to change portraits or age aside from the Finn type character that was not turned to stone.

while this would never happen...

imo it could actually be pretty interesting really fucking cool to have dual narratives split by like 20 years that you swap between every so often

no time travel or anything just parallel narratives

piecing together pieces of what's going on from two different perspectives sort of thing

probably with things you do in the "past" having effects on the later timeline (not just pairings)

This is the only way I would like children characters to be implemented into FE:if. Unfortunately, it causes a lot of problems though. For example, if it started the second generation's story about half way through, you would have to have characters marry by then, or it would be automatic like chrom's was. Unless, they have alternate characters if some 1st gen don't marry.

personally the children I feel detract more from the game than they give so to improve game quality the best option is to remove children entirely. Relationships can stay but more focused on characters rather than spontaneously marrying...

Personally I wouldn't really want to see the children back, but if they were i wouldn't mind it if they did it right. First off, none of these time travel shenanigans that just seems like lazy writing to me and i'd be sorely disappointed if I saw it back. They need to have a time skip that's big enough for the kids to grow up a bit. Also, by having a large time skip, for support conversations that result in marriage, we wouldn't have to actually SEE the characters getting engaged, we could just assume they got married during the time skip. This would also help to improve the support conversations too. Also, the second generation should have stats completely independent of who their parents are, to keep this game from becoming a borderline breeding simulator for humans.

while this would never happen...

imo it could actually be pretty interesting really fucking cool to have dual narratives split by like 20 years that you swap between every so often

no time travel or anything just parallel narratives

piecing together pieces of what's going on from two different perspectives sort of thing

probably with things you do in the "past" having effects on the later timeline (not just pairings)

Oh, wow. I actually love this idea.

Someone else quoted it so I noticed it

Edited by L95