FE8 Chaos Mode Progress Topic

Klokinator

The biggest reason I haven't done much with FE8CM yet, is because I'm designing it to be the be-all, end all of FE hacks. Ultimate control over how your army grows, ultimate control without limitations. You want 5 summoners? Go for it! You want 6 [P/M]atriarchs? Go for it! Like Paladins? Tons of those too!

I only hope someone makes a Bow Paladin at some point. If they do I'd be extremely happy. This is basically FE9 on steroids.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it'll be your Magnum Opus as a hacker, right?

You could make it so that the villagers need to use items to pick an initial trainee class?

Edited by Howard the Duck

CC only units seems like a nice thing to play around with because you can do all sorts of crazy shit and not have to worry about it fucking up the main game, I imagine.

^No. But every unit is a special unique snowflake in one way or another.

Speaking of unique, Franz is the only character who can become an Archsage, and the only character who can become a Master. He's the only axe-using unit that can get Slayer, pretty much.

I finished the entirety of the character promotion trees today and it's... very extensive.

Edit: I am reading 5 possible Necromancers... and interestingly, all of my Sorceror units/dark users are male. I have no recorded females. Oh well, not like I have a specific female T3 animation that'd make it worth it anyway. *Hint hint*

Edited by Klokinator

Edit: I am reading 5 possible Necromancers... and interestingly, all of my Sorceror units/dark users are male. I have no recorded females. Oh well, not like I have a specific female T3 animation that'd make it worth it anyway. *Hint hint*

I might be able to do something about this if it interests me enough-- What'd you have in mind?

I might be able to do something about this if it interests me enough-- What'd you have in mind?

Mr. Night was thinking of making a T3 Fem!Dark Wizard (Aka Sorceror => Witch => Dark Witch) and he was going to base it off an image similar to this one: http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/094/d/7/dark_witch_by_neko_niki-d60h6y7.jpg

I lost the image he originally referred to, but it looked super cool.

Hrm... If I do actually get around to it, it probably won't be for a while, so don't count on me solely.

also depends on if my memory stops being a goldfish, so there's that too.

In the event that I DO actually get to it though, was there any specific way you would want it to animate?

Edited by Whitewolf8

The biggest reason I haven't done much with FE8CM yet, is because I'm designing it to be the be-all, end all of FE hacks. Ultimate control over how your army grows, ultimate control without limitations. You want 5 summoners? Go for it! You want 6 [P/M]atriarchs? Go for it! Like Paladins? Tons of those too!

I only hope someone makes a Bow Paladin at some point. If they do I'd be extremely happy. This is basically FE9 on steroids.

lol yeah okay

"Be-all, end all of FE Hacks."

A reskin, really?

More power to you I guess, but I think it's pretty impossible to view a reskin as the 'be-all, end all of FE hacks.'

Yeah, I worded that poorly. I meant to say it like "The only hack with unlimited replay value", maybe not counting TLP. TLP has an extensive postgame. I suppose any other vanilla FE8 hack, such as FE8 girls might also count, but they're still fairly limited compared to the concept I'm nearly finished with.

Now, there's a lot of good fangames in the community. DoF, TRTR, TLP, DoG, etc. The issue is, they're all fairly limited. You play them a couple times, and that's it. You're done. The amount of choice a player has is fairly limited. The amount of variation between playthroughs is limited. If you can get everything in a single playthrough, and you can do it every playthrough, that's limited. Actually, if you can always get everything, that's not always limited, but if the things you get are always the same every playthrough, that's what I define as limited. Hope that makes sense.

Not only will I have dynamic treasure chests with varying rewards, but a really expansive class tree system (Which I just finished mapping and hngfgh it was more involved than I expected) and I'm planning to add full randomizer support so that the game won't break like FE7CM does if you use a randomizer on it. (Negative character stats, wrong weapon levels, broken animations, etc.) So essentially you'll be able to randomize this game every time you play for a whole new experience.

But wait, there's more! I'll include my own fork of the randomizer that can randomize not just player units, but all the enemy units too (Barring the final bosses, obviously). Since Cam's randomizer varies weapons and items based on levels and tiers, a silver A rank weapon will exchange for another A rank weapon/tome. This means even if you randomize enemies, they won't become stupidly weak or overpowered, they'll stay about the same level, while gaining or losing new abilities. Since I'm not using randomized weapons like I did in FE7CM, that also means less "Oops this map has 7 guys with ballista steel swords now I'm fucked" scenarios.

So yeah, I just completed the most exhausting part of the startup phase, I now have a character class tree and also a class branching tree to refer to. I can see how the classes interact with each other, how they're intertwined, etc. I'll obviously post it publicly upon release, but I might wait a few months so people can discover all the new stuff on their own, without a strategy guide.

Here's a teeny chunk of what I drew up.

35f9ea6f308d9e3079cb520b036a0d03.png

And right now Tequila is working on a revamped version that's easier on the eyes. It'll be similar to that GameFAQ's tree that everyone always references.

I would argue that they're only 'limited' because we actually put time and effort into making a unique world, unique chapters and characters. I really hope you don't think them being 'limited' is a legit fault to the hacks you mentioned.

Seems more like a Japanese hack minus the theft to me.

Reskin doesn't equal replayable, as you seem to imply. They're replayable already because FE games are replayable. Add some cool Nightmare edits to an FE game and it usually remains just as replayable.

But hey, I'm interested in how you're going to make Magvel into an open world, so keep us tuned on that!